The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2021, 04:14 PM   #1
cjohnson6772

Hub for Slip On Rotor

What options are available for a hub for 72 C10? I would like to use 2018 Durango 350mm rotors with a center bore of 2.83". I know of 3 options for hubs on the market but none of them quite fit my needs:

-Wilwood C10 ProSpindle with bolt on hub/bearing: requires 3.06" center bore
-Kore3: requires 3.06" center bore
-Machine stock c10 rotor into a "hub": will increase track width and limit front tire size further or require large back spacing

Are there other options available that I am missing. I don't want to machine the Duango rotors and don't want to increase track width.

Thanks in advance.
cjohnson6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:46 PM   #2
LS short box

Re: Hub for Slip On Rotor

Could you machine the Durango discs center bore larger to match either the Wilwood or Kore 3 hubs?
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 06:45 PM   #3
cjohnson6772

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
Could you machine the Durango discs center bore larger to match either the Wilwood or Kore 3 hubs?
I may have to. I have seen jigs for sale that you can drill new bolt patterns but i don't know how to open up center bore at home without a lathe or mill. Any ideas?
Old 11-14-2021, 09:48 PM   #4
LS short box

If you were careful you could use a die grinder and slowly open up the ID. You are not talking much. 2.83 to 3.06. .23 is not much. I would certainly give it a try.
But any good machine shop could do this in a few minutes per rotor once they got it set up. Maybe have the machine shop drill the new bolt pattern also?
One more thought. Give Tobin a call and see if he would have hub turned down to 2.83 and re-drill for your bolt pattern. That way your Durango rotor would stay stock in case it needed to be replaced. I bought some brake parts from Tobin over the years and he has always been spot on and willing to help.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:40 PM   #5
cjohnson6772

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
If you were careful you could use a die grinder and slowly open up the ID. You are not talking much. 2.83 to 3.06. .23 is not much. I would certainly give it a try.
But any good machine shop could do this in a few minutes per rotor once they got it set up. Maybe have the machine shop drill the new bolt pattern also?
One more thought. Give Tobin a call and see if he would have hub turned down to 2.83 and re-drill for your bolt pattern. That way your Durango rotor would stay stock in case it needed to be replaced. I bought some brake parts from Tobin over the years and he has always been spot on and willing to help.
I need to give Tobin a call again. I agree super nice guy and very knowledgeable. I think I have floated the idea to him in the past but I never got the impression that he was willing to modify his hub diameter. I'll try him again.

Just to be clear though: the Durango rotor is already 5x5 so all I would need is the center bore to match and I would be set
Old 11-14-2021, 11:47 PM   #6
LS short box

Time to break out the die grinder and grind away.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:42 AM   #7
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson6772 View Post
I need to give Tobin a call again. I agree super nice guy and very knowledgeable. I think I have floated the idea to him in the past but I never got the impression that he was willing to modify his hub diameter. I'll try him again.

Just to be clear though: the Durango rotor is already 5x5 so all I would need is the center bore to match and I would be set
If you tell me the city or zip code where you live, I might be able to find you a machine shop that can do it. It probably wouldn't take them more than a few minutes per rotor.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 02:16 PM   #8
cjohnson6772

I have emailed Tobin and it sounds like he is willing to make the large bolt pattern hub with a reduced center pilot diameter, but it will be pretty long lead time and a costly option given that it isn't a standard offering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyridin View Post
If you tell me the city or zip code where you live, I might be able to find you a machine shop that can do it. It probably wouldn't take them more than a few minutes per rotor.
I'm in 28625. Would you envision chucking this in a lathe or putting on a mill?

Another option I found is this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Drill-Ameri...Saw/1001326800

I'm trying to conceive how to center the hole saw on the rotor accurately and I may give this a try. Expensive bit, but I could always modify my own parts store rotors with a jig and hand drill pretty inexpensively. This option would work for the rears as well and I wouldn't have to have the pilot diameter turned down on the axles either.
Old 11-16-2021, 02:38 PM   #9
A1971Blazer

not sure where you are in NC....I'm in TN near Knoxville
I have a 20" CNC lathe...
Dually truck wheel...bored out the center to 4.750...
Name:  IMG_0656.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  89.5 KB
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 03:15 PM   #10
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
not sure where you are in NC....I'm in TN near Knoxville
I have a 20" CNC lathe...
Dually truck wheel...bored out the center to 4.750...
Attachment 2146138
You have the coolest toys !

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 03:40 PM   #11
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson6772 View Post
I have emailed Tobin and it sounds like he is willing to make the large bolt pattern hub with a reduced center pilot diameter, but it will be pretty long lead time and a costly option given that it isn't a standard offering.

I'm in 28625. Would you envision chucking this in a lathe or putting on a mill?

Another option I found is this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Drill-Ameri...Saw/1001326800

I'm trying to conceive how to center the hole saw on the rotor accurately and I may give this a try. Expensive bit, but I could always modify my own parts store rotors with a jig and hand drill pretty inexpensively. This option would work for the rears as well and I wouldn't have to have the pilot diameter turned down on the axles either.
Either or would work on those. You could even do it on a manual lathe if somebody has one big enough to swing the rotor.

Let me call our guy down there and see if he can come up with a place. Shouldn't be too hard.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:28 PM   #12
LS short box

I was thinking a vertical mill. Unless the inside or out side of the rotor hat is machined the lathe would struggle to find to true center. Not saying it can't be done.
On a mill you could clamp the rotor down and find the center line of the rotor opening with a dial indicator. Then just run a fly cutter bit to open the bore just enough so it slides over the spindle. Give the machine shop the hub to check for clearance.
Just my .02.