The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2022, 10:49 AM   #1
BrentBTK

Door Glass Question

Good morning! I am replacing the worn regulators and tracks in the doors, and my question is, what do you use to secure the glass into the track it sits in? It seems there should be a gasket or something that pinches the glass as it just sits loosely in the new track. Is that a separate piece, or will some sort of adhesive do the trick? Thanks!
BrentBTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 11:15 AM   #2
Rods

Re: Door Glass Question

There is a rubber gasket that sandwiches the glass in the track however you can use clear silicone for securing the glass in place, however there is a process that I do.

First don’t silicone the glass to the track until you have it installed in the door then put the silicone in the track slide in the glass and roll the window up and let it dry for 24 + hours so that it drys in the proper position.

Very important to have wing window in also as you don’t won’t the glass out of position on the track or it won’t roll up or down properly.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:23 PM   #3
truckster

Older vehicles used a rubber glass setting tape as a friction fit. You would position the rubber on the glass (in the proper position) and then use a mallet to tap the channel onto the glass, providing a friction fit. Any glass shop that works with older vehicles should be able to supply you with glass setting tape of the proper thickness.

Modern glass is set with epoxy. You can do the same thing. As Rods said, you want to make sure the glass is in the proper position in the door. Use some small pieces of cardboard bent into a U shape as shims to position the glass correctly in the center of the channel. Make sure you've wire-brushed any loose rust off the channel and the glass is clean. Mix up a little epoxy and use it to set the glass - you just need a couple of inches on each end of the channel. I like JB Weld 5 minute epoxy. It cures quickly and seems to have about the same bond and flexibility as the more expensive professional glass setting epoxy.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:15 PM   #4
LS short box

Because my local auto glass guy is a fellow hot rodder he will set the glass with glass setting tape for $20 bucks for the pair. Maybe check your local auto glass shop?
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:02 AM   #5
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
Because my local auto glass guy is a fellow hot rodder he will set the glass with glass setting tape for $20 bucks for the pair. Maybe check your local auto glass shop?
In my opinion this is the best solution, if it's available to you.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:55 AM   #6
Grumpy old man

From Old_Truck_Fan post #272 -Project financial Burden thread

"I recently finished rebuilding my vent windows, refreshing all the internal door components and installing new glass. The only thing I struggled with was getting the right glass setting tape. I ordered from a few different venders, but was finally happy with the 5/64 thick tape from Bob Drake which you can get through Summit Racing. I blacked out all the vent window trim and handles. Here are a couple videos that helped me with the glass setting procedure."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUY1XXIBiiA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9JC_8LmNJk

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...508675&page=11

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:10 AM   #7
Grumpy old man

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...drake%205%2F64
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:56 AM   #8
BrentBTK

Great info guys, thanks! Seems like a swing and a miss for a company to sell the new track and not at least suggest the tape to go with!
BrentBTK is offline   Reply With Quote