The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2022, 09:51 PM   #1
stepsider

Charcoal canister

If I'm moving the gas tank to the back frame mount, Do I still need the Charcoal canister set up ?
stepsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 11:56 PM   #2
Accelo

Re: Charcoal canister

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepsider View Post
If I'm moving the gas tank to the back frame mount, Do I still need the Charcoal canister set up ?

Nope. Not for it to run.
I am not sure how the California EPA qualifies these trucks.
I know in 1970 the CA built trucks had them CA. I don't believe the other 49 required it till 1971. Really doubtful any of them function any longer anyway.
I just moved my tank to the rear and pulled it out and sold it on the board.

There was a board member looking for one a couple weeks ago. I still have a PM from him if you want to sell it my bet is it would make him happy.

The fuel lines go through the top of the cab by the cab/cargo lights. Makes getting the new wiring through there difficult.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:16 AM   #3
Greasey Harley

You don't need it, but why wouldn't you want it?
The charcoal canister is a good thing. Gas fumes stink.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:45 AM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

If you are installing a tank without the evaporative recovery lines, you don't need the vapor canister. You will need a vented replacement gas cap.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 01:13 PM   #5
dz1087

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
If you are installing a tank without the evaporative recovery lines, you don't need the vapor canister. You will need a vented replacement gas cap.
Unless you go my route and just don't fully seal up the bungs on the tank for the evap lines. I just can't fill my tank up all the way or it pisses fuel....
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 01:28 PM   #6
Accelo

To vent my rear tank I added a vent to the stake pocket.
It's a standard vent for a transmission.
The hose clamp keeps it from falling down.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2022, 01:46 PM   #7
Lee H

I run my 72 without. If you decide to run without don't throw any of the parts away. In SoCal they have recently deployed mobile smog test stations and auto smog scan stations again. The mobile stations almost always have signs a few blocks before saying something like warning survey crew ahead, couple of Caltrans trucks, a mobile sniffer and they flag over vehicles randomly to get a sniffer test. The auto scanner are small and sit by the side of the road and take air samples and pictures of license plates, and you may never see it. If your truck gets flagged by either you will have to get it tested. Without that equipment your truck will fail visual inspection and will not be testable. Unless it gets resolved you will not be able to reregister. I know this scenario is unlikely to happen. March 2021 I was flagged over in my daughters 2007 Corolla, failed sniffer, had it tested at a smog check station and it passed. Minor headache.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 01:49 PM   #8
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Nice idea Accelo!

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 02:01 PM   #9
72afr
Beep! Beep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
I run my 72 without. If you decide to run without don't throw any of the parts away. In SoCal they have recently deployed mobile smog test stations and auto smog scan stations again. The mobile stations almost always have signs a few blocks before saying something like warning survey crew ahead, couple of Caltrans trucks, a mobile sniffer and they flag over vehicles randomly to get a sniffer test. The auto scanner are small and sit by the side of the road and take air samples and pictures of license plates, and you may never see it. If your truck gets flagged by either you will have to get it tested. Without that equipment your truck will fail visual inspection and will not be testable. Unless it gets resolved you will not be able to reregister. I know this scenario is unlikely to happen. March 2021 I was flagged over in my daughters 2007 Corolla, failed sniffer, had it tested at a smog check station and it passed. Minor headache.
To me, that autoscanner sounds completely unnecessary. I don't know the registration timeline in CA, but couldn't they just make that a part of the re-registration requirements? Here in MO, your tags are only good for two years and then you must get another inspection and emissions (if your car year requires it). Both must pass before you can get new tags. In my opinion, having an autoscanner on the side of the road isn't going to change the need to fix the issue prior to re-registering, just throwing additional money at it to say they're addressing it. The cars aren't being taken off the road because they failed the test. I guess I'm dumb.
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon (the wife's baby hauler)
72afr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 03:42 PM   #10
Lee H

Here in California tags every year, emissions on vehicles that require it every 2 years.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:22 PM   #11
Accelo

No requirements where I live. Frankly I wish they had reasonable ones.

Questions is what if the truck was sold new in another state and was a 1970? Only CA trucks had them? How would they know. Or would they care?
Old 01-06-2022, 12:16 AM   #12
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Vehicles sold at Federal requirements were different from California requirements until '75, when ALL vehicles were sold with the same emissions equipment, within the model lines. Prior to that, if you went over the state line to buy a new vehicle and brought it into California you would have been required to bring the vehicle into compliance. A way around that would be to put enough miles on it so that it didn't appear that you were dodging the emission rules. Subaru didn't have catalytic converters in '75. There may have been other manufacturers able to comply without using converters, but I'm not aware of them.

Nowadays, '75 and older are exempt from inspection, with some exceptions. By the same token, under certain conditions, the vehicle may be inspected, and if the emissions equipment is missing must be replaced...with some exceptions, usually because the person may not be able to afford it, in which case a waiver may be issued. When I worked as a SMOG tech, waivers were hard to come by. They were usually written via bribing the tech. I never did that, for the simple reason that say, $50 being fanned under my nose, didn't assuage my not wanting to face a $1000 fine and/or my personal freedom for a year in prison. People still did it, and the penalty went to $5k/5Y. No thank you.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:39 AM   #13
Accelo

Here is what you would do. Remove the hoses and paint and replace the canister, leave it installed. It barely visible anyway. Move the tank and move on.

I installed a LS1 in my truck. Likely pollutes one tenth of what the stock motor did. Also no CATS. Not required in my neighborhood. From a pollution standpoint, it would make no logic to argue it's not stock any longer. Grams per mile it's way ahead. The average passenger vehicle emits about 404 grams of CO2 per mile for 2021. In 1975 it was almost 700. That was the oldest data I could find recorded.

With an overdrive the motor RPM is lower and that also reduces the grams per mile for our trucks.
Fuel mileage is likely to be in the low 20's. My doubt even the six cylinders got that mileage. Improvements all around.

Last edited by Accelo; 01-06-2022 at 01:45 AM.