The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2004, 10:21 AM   #1
michigank5

Talking Finally

Well, after a few months of missing some really nice driving weather, I finally got my toy back on the road and I forgot how much fun it is to drive!! New radiator in, got the whole interior lined, finished up a back seat to put in, CD player's in (but I still need to modify the ashtray lid to keep it covered), 2 speakers in the door panels, and 2 speakers are locked down in the back. That was enough to keep me busy for a little while, now I just need to get the roll bar in so I can get a bikini top, and a slight lift for some bigger tires, but I think those will be winter projects and I'll just enjoy the weather for now. I don't post much, but thanks a lot to everyone on the board for all the information and great pictures,
Jed
Attached Images

michigank5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:35 AM   #2
Smokie55

That is one slick way of installing the radio. Maybe a small piano style hinge and that would make a great hide-a-way radio cover out of the ashtray door.
1972 K5 blazer "Rusty" - 400/TH350/NP205 - Yeah it's big alright!!
- Founding Member of Southern Bowties Club -
Smokie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:41 AM   #3
BobbyK

Location: Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,Mi.
Sweet ride man!
What size tire's are on there now?
33's fit fine with the stock suspension and no lift.
BobbyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:56 AM   #4
michigank5

Thanks guys. That's what I was thinkin Smokie, but I haven't found anything that small yet, any ideas where? I might end up just cutting in a track and having it slide straight down and maybe put in a magnet to keep it up.

They're 31s now Bobby, I'd like to ride a bit higher than with just the 33s, but they do fit in perfect on your truck. I think I will try 33s then see if I want it to get it up a little bit higher.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:05 AM   #5
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Very nice ride. Is that a fast-track top? I just ordered one and I'm waiting for it to show up.

Nice install on the radio. I was thinking about something similar with a radio delete over the gaping hole the PO cut in the das of my '69. I wanted to mount the stereo back in a bit and put the radio delete on a flip down hinge. Let us know how you do the hinge.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 01:01 PM   #6
michigank5

Yeah, it's the fast-track top, there's little covers that go over the bars on the sides, but I didn't like the way they looked so I just left them bare. I like to leave it just like this most of the time though, lets in a bit of rain, but not too bad. I also didn't put in the front supports that go around the door window and attach to the top corner of the windshield since they sort of just get in the way, my opinion at least. I really like the top though, you'll be happy with it.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:29 PM   #7
Grim Reaper

I love running my fast track in Safari mode. I had a home brew bikini top before I got the fast track and not even owrth bothering with. The Safari mode is just as nice and keeps the kids dry as well.

Good looking truck.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 03:18 PM   #8
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Great looking K5. Thanks for the pics.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 05:09 PM   #9
71 Blazer CST man
Account Suspended

Sick looking ride, i like lots. The top is dope....Does the fast track in safari-mode balloon up on the freeway like my girls jeeps does? We just decided on leaving it down, prob. wouldnt rip, but by the end of a summer.....it would be a little torn up i'd imagine.
71 Blazer CST man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 06:21 PM   #10
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

I love the way you hid the radio, I just might have to steal that idea, I was gonna put mine in the console but that looks way better, is the opening wide enough for a cd? I guess you could also put a cd changer somewhere else.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 11:49 AM   #11
michigank5

Thanks again for the compliments Yeah, I wanted to keep the stock AM radio in there, I like the looks of it. I was going to put it in a center console too, but I really don't want carpet in mine and it would be tough to route all the wires from the center of the cab. The CD player barely fit in between the radio and the fan controls but I figured I'd give it a shot and it worked perfect, plus there's no way it can be stolen from where it is now. I had to trim down that ledge that the ashtray track screws down to so that the player could come forward more, and then I just bent some metal to make brackets and attached them to the new CD player then screwed the brackets to the AM radio. The CD barely slides in, but there is enough room. I can't hit all of the functional buttons, but I do have a remote control that controls everything on the deck so it worked out perfectly. It's just a cheap Jensen CD/MP3 player deck ($75 at Best Buy) but it works great and doesn't skip. I'll definitely keep you posted on the how I hinge the lid or whatever I do.

CST Man, the top definitely balloon's up between the first support and the windshield, but I haven't noticed any tearing yet and it's been on quite a few trips on the highway at 65-70. It also does this a bit with the windows on, but I don't think it's quite as much, the rear areas don't seem to move much at all though, windows on or off. I don't have all the supports in for it though, I'm sure they'd probably help stiffen it up a bit.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:11 PM   #12
wrathchild
LIKE 'EM BIG AND TOPLESS

Real nice Rig you got,I also like the cd player location..
wrathchild is offline   Reply With Quote