The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2004, 05:04 PM   #1
setandreel

clearing codes?

Howdy all,
I have a 87 silverado 4x4 with a new jasper 350. Everything runs fine but a code 43 came up. Called the guy that installed my motor and he said he had a hard time with the knock sensor. So I put in a new knock sensor and modular. Unpluged the battery to clear codes, hooked up the batt. after about 10 min. and it ran fine for a couple hundred miles then on my way to Nashville Tn. mon. ses light came on stoped to check it and code 43 is back?
My qustion is did I clear the computer right, or is thier something else I need to do.
Thank you in advance
Mike
setandreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 10:34 PM   #2
ChevyTech

The battery only needs to be disconnected for 10 seconds to clear the trouble code.

Finding the cause for code may not be easy. That system goes through a self test after start up. If it fails the self test the light will come on. If at any time during driving it cannot stop the engine from pinging, it will set the code.

The problem with the system is, a rattle or knock from other items on or in the engine can be detected by the knock sensor as a ping.

Once the system sets the code, it will run in a backup mode, without the same timing advance capabilities. Clear the code, and it will run well until it sets the code again.

Keep clearing your code and driving it, paying attention to when the light comes on. See if it is pinging. Notice what condition seems to make it set the code.

The knock sensors can be damaged just by removing and installing them.

Good luck. Hopfully it will be something easy.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote