The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2004, 07:42 PM   #1
jover

Question Hey Guys I need your guidance again!

Well today I picked up the whole front crossmember out of a 77 GMC 1/2 ton to put in my 68 C10 Stepside. Now what I'm asking is a while ago there was a great informational thread someone put on giving kind of like a step by step of how and what to do to make the transition as painless as possible. I also want to drop the front end in the process. Can any of my dear pro's out there help me. I should of copied it when I saw it but copier wouldn't cooperate with me that day, so I didn't get to save it, now I can't find it. Can anyone help me Please? Thanks JoAnne
jover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 03:48 AM   #2
Nick's683/4

I put a 79 3/4 ton front cross member in my 68 3/4. It went right in. I only had to drill one hole on both sides. Hope this helps.

Nick
Old 07-24-2004, 04:27 AM   #3
67cst
i love summertime

i swapped an 85 1/2 ton front end on my 67, i think there was 6 bolts per side, 5 on each side lined up and the 6th was just out, you can ovalize the hole to fit or not even bother, from what i was told it isnt a big deal but i did cause it doesnt hurt, it was a super easy swap, i dont know why more guys dont do it, all that was out of wack was the brake lines that lead up to the prop valve, and it wasnt that hard to fix up...

GLOVE BOX LIGHTS FORSALE, click link for info

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=273724
67cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 02:27 PM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

When it comes to dropping the front end, my preference is spindles, over modified A-arms. Bell Tech and DJM are two that come to mind. I don't know if Early Classic has dropped spindles for 73 and up, or not.

We used DJM on my son's '96. He had a set of 15x8's on it at the time. We had to go to a 15x7 to get the right back spacing in order to clear the tie rod end. I think the wheels we got had a 3.5-inch back space, while the 8-inch wide wheels had a 4-inch back space. That was all it took. However, if you are gonna use a 16-inch, or larger, diameter wheel, it shouldn't be a problem.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 03:13 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

You should also do a search on the FAQ's. There's probably a very thorough thread on this.There's probably info on lowering spindles too.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote