The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2022, 11:44 AM   #1
blazer2007

electric door install. Fender on or off ?

I have a 78 short box and I,m finally going to install some electric doors I,ve been packing around for some time. I found some info on where to drill the holes ,but it said take door off ,drill holes and intall new door. Got door off but doesn,t look like much room to drill, maybe with some sorta angle attachment.
What have you done to drill the holes. I don,t really want to take fenders off. I,m running out of room in my small garage. I have hood off, engine out, parts all over and can barely get around the garage now and there is lots of snow outside.
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 12:27 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: electric door install. Fender on or off ?

Swapped power doors onto my tow truck several years ago from a Suburban. Never considered or had to remove the fenders for the swap. Removed the doors, drilled a hole, shoved a grommet in it and shoved the harness in. bolted the doors on and plugged the harness in... Done. Took me about 3-4 hours start to finish. One of the easiest swaps I've ever done 85 doors on a 79 truck
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:20 AM   #3
blazer2007

There is no way I can see drilling straight but I don,t see well anyway. Here is a pic straight on and then on a angle. I guess I will have to find a wobble bit or a angle attachment. Always something else to buy.
Attached Images

blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:49 AM   #4
kwmech

Ahh yes. I do have an angle drill from snap on and a set of short bits going up to 3/8 along with step bits
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote