The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2022, 09:12 PM   #1
4thgencreamsicle

Bluetooth amp direct to OG style speaker

Attachment 2164887So when my stock-ish radio recap project went south I looked into music options for my 69. I had already spent $ on a new old style speaker from turnswitch.com to replace the old stock one in hopes that the radio would work. Since it didn’t, I went looking for what could work for right now until I can spend the $ on a new set up. I found a little Bluetooth amp (Wuzhi brand printed on the board) on Amazon. There are multiple sellers of the same little amp so I chose one of the cheaper ones (cheap because it’s not mailed from the US, probably China or Japan).

I got it within a week or two and wired it up today. I decided to mount it where a cigarette lighter would normally go and used a big washer with a small hole as a backplate. It was seriously easy and sounds good even.

I’ll add that I put a resistor inline to the speaker since this is made for modern speakers. Don’t know if it’s necessary, but it doesn’t hurt to be safe. I ran power from the radio spade in the fuse box so it’s powered normally and grounded it to the firewall. I also might need to clean up the washer a bit so it looks nicer. When I get a new liner for my glovebox I plan to mount it in there so I can put an actual cigarette lighter in and charge my phone. I added a screenshot of the Amazon listing since links on Amazon don’t always work after time has passed, that way others know what they’re looking for. Attachment 2164887
Attached Images

4thgencreamsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 12:52 PM   #2
Jason Banks

Re: Bluetooth amp direct to OG style speaker

I've been going to do something like this, just never chose an amplifier yet.

I don't think you need the resistor since this thing is made for 4-8 ohm speakers and I think the factory speaker is 10 ohm. But if it gets lout enough for you it should be fine.

I think I'll order that amp and give it a go...

edit: just looked and I think the Turnswitch speaker is 8 ohm...
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 01:07 PM   #3
Caddylackn

Running a higher ohm speaker will not hurt the amp but it will put out less total watts.

I have seen people take a non working factree stereo and retrofit these small amps into them using the stock stereo dial. It looks factree if done right.

Or wire this under the dash with the knob facing down and no one will know its there. You will have to hook it up to an accesory power lead unless this amp will turn off by itself.

These amps will not put out full power on 12V, you would need 24V for that. Its probably only about 20 watts rms a side at 24V, or about 15 watts rms on 12V. This would be plenty with effecient speakers.
Old 02-05-2022, 11:21 AM   #4
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I've been wanting to do something similar but wasn't sure how good those little amps were at those prices.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote