The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2022, 03:48 PM   #1
cab4word67

Dash trim clip questions

Hello, finishing up this truck now. Does anyone know how the clip brackets are to be bent. My question is the part on the truck suppose to snap into the rear edge or the front edge of the trim to hold it down smooth when you snap the piece down with the new clips? Or are they to point straight up? There are 2 little ears on the back edge and I think mine are bent wrong maybe from disassembly.

cab4word67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 02:32 PM   #2
Divine 59

Re: Dash trim clip questions

Not sure if I understand your question?

_/\_ <- clip shape.... The clip slides into the ends of the trim piece and one aligns them with the clip locations and presses the pointed in into the slot at the dash as shown in your photo. If you need more force than your hand you might try a small piece of wood to spread out the force to keep from denting the trim piece.

I never had to bend the clips to get them into their locations. Do you have the right part?
Old 02-14-2022, 03:00 AM   #3
cab4word67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine 59 View Post
Not sure if I understand your question?

_/\_ <- clip shape.... The clip slides into the ends of the trim piece and one aligns them with the clip locations and presses the pointed in into the slot at the dash as shown in your photo. If you need more force than your hand you might try a small piece of wood to spread out the force to keep from denting the trim piece.

I never had to bend the clips to get them into their locations. Do you have the right part?
Yes parts / clips are correct. It just didnt set as flush as I would like it. but then it was just a truck back in 57
Old 02-14-2022, 02:14 PM   #4
57tailgater

From the assembly manual.
Attached Images

57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 02:45 PM   #5
cab4word67

Thanks everyone, I had it installed correctly but it was sitting up higher than I liked and thought it was to be flush with the dash. I see now I was doing it right. The factory was not concerned about the fit and finish like we are restoring these trucks. If it had been mine and while the glass was out before paint, I would have re set each mount, so they were perfectly a lined flat. All good.
Old 02-15-2022, 09:46 PM   #6
sack54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab4word67 View Post
Thanks everyone, I had it installed correctly but it was sitting up higher than I liked and thought it was to be flush with the dash. I see now I was doing it right. The factory was not concerned about the fit and finish like we are restoring these trucks. If it had been mine and while the glass was out before paint, I would have re set each mount, so they were perfectly a lined flat. All good.
Not made to sit flush, gap is for the defroster to work like deflects air to windshield
sack54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:47 PM   #7
sack54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab4word67 View Post
Not made to sit flush, gap is for the defroster to work like deflects air to windshield . If you are using them.
sack54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:08 AM   #8
cab4word67

Yes, I know the defrosters are up there but not on the front side where it meets the dash. I will try and get pictures tomorrow to show what I mean. it fits perfect where the one clip was sitting low. Looks like a wave going across the dash.
Old 02-16-2022, 10:03 PM   #9
paulspickupparts

I looked at your photos . Your anchor on the dash is distorted . This sometimes happens when the dash strip is removed and the old clips do not want to come out. The opening for the clip on the anchor point is slightly spread which will allow the clip and dash strip to sit high . Some higher than others . Thus the wave. Also your mounting clip may be distorted . Years ago I only use the original clips as the repos never seemed to have the right tension (so whats new with repo) Not sure about the quality now days. Thanks , good luck
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote