The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2022, 01:50 PM   #1
Crabass

Cross-generation pedals/brackets compatibility

Hey guys, plowed through a ton of searched threads without finding the exact info I need. I have a '87 Silverado with 4.3 V6 / TH375 that I plan to swap in a big block and manual transmission. The GenV block requires the hydraulic clutch setup which I have, except for the pedal assy.
I've located a partout '89 K3500 with the hydraulic clutch / vacuum brake pedal setup like I need, as well as the big block engine mount brackets, but I don't know if the parts I need for my '87 are the same ones in that '89, considering the cross over to the next generation body from '87 to '88. The front end of the donor truck is definitely the next gen after my '87.
One serious drawback is that the prospective donor truck is a long drive from where I am. I've been looking a long time locally with zero success, and ended up finding this guy by calling yards around the area my wife has relatives in and is wanting to do the visit thing. Going there for a casual inspection of the goods just isn't in the cards.
Thanks for any info or advice.
Crabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:05 AM   #2
SunSoaked

Re: Cross-generation pedals/brackets compatibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabass View Post
Hey guys, plowed through a ton of searched threads without finding the exact info I need. I have a '87 Silverado with 4.3 V6 / TH375 that I plan to swap in a big block and manual transmission. The GenV block requires the hydraulic clutch setup which I have, except for the pedal assy.
I've located a partout '89 K3500 with the hydraulic clutch / vacuum brake pedal setup like I need, as well as the big block engine mount brackets, but I don't know if the parts I need for my '87 are the same ones in that '89, considering the cross over to the next generation body from '87 to '88. The front end of the donor truck is definitely the next gen after my '87.
One serious drawback is that the prospective donor truck is a long drive from where I am. I've been looking a long time locally with zero success, and ended up finding this guy by calling yards around the area my wife has relatives in and is wanting to do the visit thing. Going there for a casual inspection of the goods just isn't in the cards.
Thanks for any info or advice.
The 89 will NOT work with the 87. The 85-87 are unique and use the hydraulic clutch. I recently converted my 85 from auto to manual (NV4500). I will tell you that those pedal assemblies are HARD to find and command a high price. Also, there is a difference between assemblies based on if its for vacuum or hydroboost brakes.There's actually 4 variants ( Auto w/vac, Auto w/hydro or Manual with vac, Manual with hydro).

Your bigger issue is what transmission (465 I assume?) and bellhousing do you have? If you're going NV4500, there's a whole nuther minefield to navigate. I have 3 of the pedal assemblies that I would be willing to sell for what I paid for them if you're interested.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 01:08 PM   #3
Crabass

Re: Cross-generation pedals/brackets compatibility

Hey Sunny --- thanks for that info.
The setup that I want to end up with is the vacuum brake booster and hydraulic clutch. I have the complete bh/fork and all the hydraulic components and plumbing out of a mid '80's truck, bought 'em all together with a SM465 (IIRC) that I sold. I'm planning to use a car 5 speed with an adapter for the bh. Those 4500's are pretty rare and pricey, too, aren't they?

The parts truck seller emailed me a pic of the master cylinders area clearly showing the vac booster and clutch master. I'd post it here but there is no URL to post it with, and I don't have anything to do with that social media crap. One of the worst things to ever happen to our culture IMHO, but I digress.....

I was hoping that maybe the underlying structure of the later model cab would permit use or adaptation of the '89 hyd clutch pedal assy in my '87. One thing going for me is that I have available to me locally another same vintage truck with the setup I want, to inspect / measure / compare for fitment purposes. Looks like there is a lot of lower dash sheetmetal in the way of getting easy access though, and I won't be able to do any disassembly.

I'm interested to know what you need to get for a vac brake / hyd clutch pedal assy if you have that, provided it would include the linkages and fasteners required to complete the install. It would sure be nice to have that aspect of the project covered. Thanks again
Crabass is offline   Reply With Quote