The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2022, 02:51 AM   #1
Accelo

Aftermarket tilt column issues.

A friend of mine purchased an aftermarket tilt column from Fleabay.
He went to install it the other day and the flat bar the shift linkage attaches to, on the engine side, is pointing straight up. It should be at maybe 2:00. Of course if he rotates the whole column, (clockwise sitting in the truck), the shifter ends up between you legs. Not great if you have to stop quickly! I know they are junk but it may be past the return window and he is married to it. Anyone know if this can be adjusted and if so how?
Thanks to the board I purchased a OEM tilt. Although it gave me a headache rebuilding it, when I was done it at least fit.
Thanks
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 07:46 AM   #2
BrentBTK

Re: Aftermarket tilt column issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
A friend of mine purchased an aftermarket tilt column from Fleabay.
He went to install it the other day and the flat bar the shift linkage attaches to, on the engine side, is pointing straight up. It should be at maybe 2:00. Of course if he rotates the whole column, (clockwise sitting in the truck), the shifter ends up between you legs. Not great if you have to stop quickly! I know they are junk but it may be past the return window and he is married to it. Anyone know if this can be adjusted and if so how?
Thanks to the board I purchased a OEM tilt. Although it gave me a headache rebuilding it, when I was done it at least fit.
Thanks
I bought an el cheapo from CJ Pony Parts, then sent it back for a flaming river. On both the cheapie and the Flaming River the bar that connects to the shift linkage was held on by 4 screws that could be removed to "clock" the bar. If that isn't an option, I have no idea. I learned my lesson about cheap columns the hard way, lol.
BrentBTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:55 PM   #3
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentBTK View Post
I bought an el cheapo from CJ Pony Parts, then sent it back for a flaming river. On both the cheapie and the Flaming River the bar that connects to the shift linkage was held on by 4 screws that could be removed to "clock" the bar. If that isn't an option, I have no idea. I learned my lesson about cheap columns the hard way, lol.
Yep, what he said
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 01:55 AM   #4
Accelo

I just spoke with my friend and he reported no such screw/bolts on this one.
It was ordered Nov 02 of 2021.
Almost all have a 30-day returns policy.
A good example of just waiting to order stuff till it's needed.
However, it's almost impossible with the current lead times.
A catch 22 if I ever saw one.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:14 AM   #5
MikeB

While there's no way to do that on a stock column, maybe it can be done on an aftermarket version. It would be helpful to see some photos.

I'm in the process of reassembling my OE 69 non-tilt auto trans column. My biggest problem is trying the tighten up the 50+ years of slack between shift bowl and shift tube.

Also, since my steering wheel is 15" I'd like have a gear shift handle that's approx 1"-2" shorter. Any suggestions.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 02-17-2022 at 04:26 AM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 05:25 AM   #6
Richard

Found this on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/40257940785...3ABFBMrPDU5eBf Obviously not sure if the same but appears to have the shift lever pointed straight up. Only suggestion is to remove the snap ring at bottom end of column and take apart to check to see if the shift rod lever can be moved.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 12:27 PM   #7
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Obviously not sure if the same but appears to have the shift lever pointed straight up.
That should cause anyone considering that column to come to a screeching halt!

Also, there's the deal where many of the imports do not "cage" the tilt ball and socket. And when they inevitably break, you have no steering control. But, hey, they're cheap!

This is from a New Zealand organization.

https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/i...ng_Columns.pdf

From the document:

A serious safety risk has been identified during April and May of 2013 relating to poorly designed and
manufactured aftermarket steering columns, of the type typically used in the custom car/modified classic
car/hot rod industry. Traditionally, such aftermarket columns have been manufactured in the United States of
America, and have historically been of good quality. However, the industry has changed in recent years, and
LVVTA has established that there are a number of aftermarket steering column brands that are being cheaply
manufactured in Asian countries - in particular China - with serious safety defects. Specifically, the issues are:

1. poor quality welding of steering shaft sections; and

2. poorly-designed tilt mechanisms which are not by design
‘fail-safe’; and

3. poor quality materials used within the components inside
the tilt mechanisms.

In some cases the poorly-designed tilt mechanisms are wearing
prematurely (and in fact have unacceptable play even in brand
new condition), and the tilt mechanisms and the sub-standard
welding both have the potential to fail, causing a complete loss
of steering control of vehicles to which such columns are fitted.

I don't know if these substandard columns are still sold in the US, but I wouldn't risk my life by buying anything other than OEM, Ididit, Flaming River, or any of the others mentioned that are made in America.
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
Old 02-17-2022, 12:50 PM   #8
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Also, since my steering wheel is 15" I'd like have a gear shift handle that's approx 1"-2" shorter. Any suggestions.
Get a 67-68 gear shift handle. They are shorter than 69-70. I've got a 15" steering wheel in my 68 and the handle seems just right for it.

https://youtu.be/sZi8EhuJznE
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 03:28 PM   #9
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
Get a 67-68 gear shift handle. They are shorter than 69-70. I've got a 15" steering wheel in my 68 and the handle seems just right for it.
I'll take a look at that option. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2022, 12:49 AM   #10
Accelo

[QUOTE=Also, since my steering wheel is 15" I'd like have a gear shift handle that's approx 1"-2" shorter. Any suggestions.[/QUOTE]

You can use the one for the van also. They are 1.5" shorter for some reason.
I purchased a new stock on and wished I would have known about this opton sooner.
Old 02-18-2022, 01:47 AM   #11
pjmoreland

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe the column end of the shift lever is narrower on 67-70 columns and wider on 71-72 columns. Are the van shift levers narrow or wide?
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote