The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2022, 04:06 AM   #1
Paul Y

Forestry truck. Help with pictures?

Wasn’t sure how to title this but would like to try and replicate the forestry commission marking on Woody.

Found the black shield from searching for a forestry truck on this board but there are the remains of numbers on the roof that I would to copy.

Currently they are painted over with what looks like house paint that is revisiting my best efforts with thinners….

Looks like a 2 a 7 and or maybe a Z.

Can anybody help with a few pictures?

Thanks,

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 02:34 PM   #2
Paul Y

Re: Forestry truck. Help with pictures?

Found this picture on the forum which seems to indicate that the black on my passenger door was indeed some sort of shield.

Question is what was on the roof?

It looks as if there might be a 2 or 7 and something else but any ideas or eagle eyes to identify would be appreciated.

P.

Old 02-20-2022, 09:03 AM   #3
Paul Y

Duplicate post

Last edited by Paul Y; 02-20-2022 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-20-2022, 12:03 PM   #4
Paul Y

Quick Sunday, post lunch, update.

@grizz posted on the Garage Journal asking for a bit more detail on the Forest Truck question I pose earlier.

The amount of tacit knowledge that is out there continues to amaze me. For future reference I have copied and pasted this directly from Aaron on the afore mentioned.

"I retired from the US Forest Service and own a 1958 US Forest Service fire engine so am a bit of a nerd about the vehicles.

I looked through the linked thread where you are documenting your project. It looks like you did a pretty good job matching the green, and realistically it is not as uniform as you would think. You do see some minor variation in color between different truck brands and years. It is not clear to me how you are painting the top, but it should have a grey roof down to the base of the windows, a light to medium grey. They didn't adopt all green scheme until the mid 1970s.

The large USFS shield on the door as on that tribute truck went away in 1940. The 1960s was a transitional period in markings, but in 1966 your truck probably would have had this style of door markings as I believe the change occurred about 1964-65. The USFS shield approximately 6", the block below about 4x18". The 4 digit number at the bottom is simply a property number, not any kind of radio ID. Choose any 4 numbers that amuse you, occasionally you will find only 3 digits, but that is unusual. White was more common, but black or brown are occasionally seen, usually about 1" in height. The USFS was not a highly centralized agency back then, so things were much more laid back. They would use what was readily available locally that they could get a good deal on so if that meant 3/4" brown numbers that is what they used. This use what you got is also what makes nailing down the exact date of the markings change hard. I'm sure many forests used up their supply of the old marking decals before buying the new ones so when looking at old photos you find a bit of a mix rather than a hard cut off.

This is the older version of the markings used in the late 1950s to early-mid 1960s, sizes given for the above would apply here as well.

A great video clip of a similar truck in action (obviously not 1950s when it features a mid 60s Chevy...)

https://youtu.be/o2v9RFEtp7Y

Numbers on the roof didn't become a thing for the USFS until maybe the late 1990s, but it is possible that it was something local, particularly if the truck came from a Southern California forest. Reality is in the 60s and 70s a helicopter calling on the radio "hey you, Chevy truck by the big rock" would have worked in most cases. Just not that many resources back then in the remote areas where the forest service works. If they needed to talk to a specific person they would use their position, call sign (for important people, or equipment) or often just last name, not some numbers on the roof.

Here is a slightly older Dodge, it has the older all white markings but shows the classic forest service hand rails often used used on patrol trucks and pickup trucks even into the present day. This is actually a screen shot from an old Lassie episode. The Forest Service worked with the TV producers so you can find lots of authentic late 1950s and early 1960s forest service vehicles in the show.

So there you have it. A little history on Forestry Commission trucks.

P.

Old 02-20-2022, 12:31 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

That's all interesting, even if I never were to make a repro. Cool info!

Anyone else think that the front end of that Dodge looks like someone stepped on a frog? Or is it just me?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 01:44 PM   #6
factorystock

'59 era logo. Common theme on all, top of cab is gray and rounded bed railing
Attached Images

factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote