The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
jocko

cheyenne super (or any truck I guess) glovebox color and SPID info questions...

Below are two pics from a truck on ebay. It begs two questions, one of which is a question I've had for some time now. (I apologize the SPID is so blurry, but that's the the seller posted).

1) I've now seen several ochre trucks that the seller or owner claim is original that has the black glovebox door (and I believe them). This truck is one of them. I know at least one member who has one just like this - or it may even be his for sale on ebay - it's a very nice truck!! There is also a new member that has a different white/ochre/white/ochre Cheyenne Super for sale in the for sale ads on our truck site that has a black glovebox.

My question is this - what was the rhyme or reason to the black glovebox thing? They're not common enough for the answer to be "it's a Fremont thing" or something like that - but why/how would a glovebox end up black? I DO believe it is original and have spoken to owners who have had them since new that way. Just curious how one would have requested(?)/ordered it they way or did the original owner even have a say in it(?) or was it just for a short period of time they had an overage of black and a shortage of ochre painted glovebox doors??? Anyone know the background on the mysterious black glovebox in an ochre truck? I like the look, but I think I'd prefer ochre. But if I got one, I'd keep it original.

btw, grumpipi? anyone know him? Has 1 post, and that was to list the truck for sale (i.e. an ochre truck with a black glovebox). I posted, pm'ed and nada, never heard from him. One other has posted on the ad and no replies. Hope he's ok... But it's hard to sell a truck if one never replies where he posted. Then again, he's very new, may not know how/what a pm is yet, etc. Thus the post on his for sale ad. If anyone knows him, pls let him know a few people have posted and were interested in his truck (including me). He might need some help figuring out how to use the website(?)

2) hard to read, but the SPID below shows Cheyenne and Cheyenne Super equipment BOTH listed. Really weird? I recall a previous discussion we had about a truck that had both "Custom Deluxe" AND "Cheyenne Equipment" listed on the same SPID - even weirder in my book. Theory was that sometimes the lesser included options were also listed when a higher option package was selected since it all got installed anyway. Anyone know? I think it really was hit or miss, or more likely - plant specific on this topic. I really wish this SPID was more legible, there are a LOT of things listed on this ebay truck. I'd want to confirm the SPID VIN matches the truck's - but I am assuming it does in this case. No reason not to believe that (but I'd still check if buying).

Anyway, just curious. Nice white/ochre/white/ochre super here (ebay) and a nice one in our own trucks for sale section! Thanks!
Attached Images

jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
jocko

Re: cheyenne super (or any truck I guess) glovebox color and SPID info questions...

Hmm. Plot thickens - just noticed the VIN is CCE442xxx... (also notice the lettering looks a little bolder, more readable, or is it just me?) It's that way ("44") in the SPID pic and seller also lists it that way on ebay in the VIN section. I'm gonna ask if the VINs match - What's a 44? a 1.5 ton pickup??? I thought the possibilities were: CCE1=1/2 ton, CCE2=3/4 ton and CCE3=1 ton... (The 2nd 4 is for a "pickup? which is expected/correct).

Now am really conrfused. More to come - nice truck, but that doesn't add up. Gonna dig. If anyone knows what that 1st "4" means, please post. I suppose it's possible that the 4 is a 1 and he misread it and listed it as a 4 also on the VIN section of the ad... But looks more like a 4 than a 1 to me. Ideas?

Last edited by jocko; 04-21-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Re: cheyenne super (or any truck I guess) glovebox color and SPID info questions...

The key to getting the black door ordering parchment interior on a Super. This also came with a black dash pad and steering wheel column.

My red/white Super came with parchment and got the black door also.

Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
71 super

The black glove box door was a plant location thing. It is more dominant in ochre trucks than others. This was discussed sometime ago, but dont have a link to the topic. As far as both cheyenne and cheyenne super both being listed, that was very common for GMC trucks to have both listed and again depending on the location and plant is possible for a Chevy to have both listed. The YE9 Super option includes all parts of Z84 Cheyenne option plus PO3 hub caps, custom houndstooth interior for bench seat trucks, upper trim , wood grained dash treatments on instrument and glovebox door and bright tailgate handle on fleetside trucks. So the YE9 adds to the standard cheyenne option and could result in both being listed on the SPID if the typist chose to include it. If I remember correctly, trucks from fremont and st louis that were ochre tended to have the black door. Member LED Zepp has a ochre truck that has the black door I believe. Also try contacting member Joe's Junk about this for confirmation.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:00 AM   #5
jocko

Thanks - i was suspecting a plant-specific thing, I know not all supers got the black door, but agree, more common on ochres. But have now seen a few red trucks with it also! I think it looks pretty cool, but I'd still prefer the truck color, if it came that way. Like I said, I'd keep it black if it came that way.

Any idears on the VIN? That "4" where it should be a "1" (for 1/2 ton, which the truck in question is) has me stumped.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
jocko

Zoomin, I thought all red trucks with parchment got a black column, even if not tilt (which were always black). I've seen plenty of body color gloveboxes on parchment interior red and ochre trucks though? I believe the truck got a saddle column if it had a saddle interior, unless, again, if it had tilt, in which case it'd been black. I think. Kind of rare you have TWO black doors!!! I'm jealous - btw, that red/white looks incredible. Can't wait to see the finished truck - how old is that pic? Got any more?
Old 04-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Parchment interiors got a sandalwood column w/o tilt,as well as dash pad and steering wheel.

The 4 in the VIN is a real baffle. It is totally wrong for anything but a medium duty 1.5t truck.

My '72 Cheyenne Super from Freemont had a Red-Orange glovebox door to match the body. It had a Parchment interior w/tilt and the dash pad was black,as well as the a/c outlets.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
bruceman1968

jocko, I think the 4 is a 1 with dirt or grease or some kind of mark in front of it. If it is a 4 then it's a mistake from the factory. The model number on the SPID has a 1, and the grease pencil firewall marking is a 1 also. When I enlarged the pic to the point where it's pixelated, there's no center hole in it (the first 4). The hole does show up in the second 4.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
jocko

Yep, I blew it up too - if it were just the SPID picture, I'd assume it's a 1, but in the ebay ad, the listing it also refers to it as a "4" - I figure if it's right in front of him and he's mis-reading it, well... But anyway, I agree, it's gotta be a 1, that's the only thing that makes sense. It's weird how the VIN is a different, bolder font that the rest of the option list, or maybe not.

Good point special K - my experience is with non-parchment interiors in red trucks and the column was black (tilt or non-tilt). But didn't think about the difference with a parchment interior. But sandalwood sure seems like a weird color combo with parchment, but who knows. But I know I've seen some original supers that had parchment interiors and black non-tilt columns (and steering wheels). Are you saying ALL parchment interiors without tilt had sandalwood columns and steering wheels? Just seems I've seen more in the black config. But no proof they were original. I just ever recall seeing many parchment interiors with sandalwood anything??

Thanks for all the input gents!
Old 04-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
bruceman1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
It's weird how the VIN is a different, bolder font that the rest of the option list, or maybe not.
I've seen that alot. Also the vin is not aligned correctly with the rest of the spid. I've seen that alot too. I don't know why that is though.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #11
jocko

ah, well, then that lends some believability to the spid then. I'm just guessing it's a "1" and the owner mis-read it and put a "4" on the ebay info because it kinda looks like a "4". Or a "1"
Old 04-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
jocko

Hey all - in case you're interested in this truck - I did hear from the seller just now. The mysterious 4 in the VIN is a 1, and matches the title/metal VIN plate, etc. He's trying to change the ad now. Mystery solved! He was grateful it got pointed out - might cause some nit picky nosy dude like me to re-consider bidding!!! btw, nice gent selling it, sounds like a great guy.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Good luck bidding. Looks like a nice ride!
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #14
terry b

My 72 super is white med bronze white. Black tilt wheel/black dash pad/black glove box door black between pad and windshield.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:14 AM   #15
WIDESIDE72

I know this is an old thread, but it reminds me of the VIN on one of my trucks. The title reads "CCE132...", but the vin tag reads "CCE142..." All of the rest of the numbers are the same.

I always assumed its a typo...???
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 02:39 PM   #16
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

It's been a while since this was brought up. Any new info on these?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote