The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2022, 10:53 PM   #1
pwdcougar

Carpet fit

How far up the firewall do the replacement carpets go? The reason for asking is my truck is getting kilmat on the firewall and I dont want to see the silver stuff above the carpet. If it does I'll order the reproduction material.
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:09 AM   #2
sick472

Re: Carpet fit

My carpet (ACC) went up the firewall with just enough length to either tuck under the firewall pad or lap over the top of it by a 1/2 to 1 inch. From sitting in the seat, you could not see anything but carpet, but with your head near the floorboard, I could see some of my sound deadener especially on the passenger side firewall by the kick panel where no firewall pad existed. I just spray painted some flat black over the shiny layer of deadener and it basically disappeared. Once again, my head had to be below the seat near the floorboard.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 05:04 PM   #3
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
My carpet (ACC) went up the firewall with just enough length to either tuck under the firewall pad or lap over the top of it by a 1/2 to 1 inch. From sitting in the seat, you could not see anything but carpet, but with your head near the floorboard, I could see some of my sound deadener especially on the passenger side firewall by the kick panel where no firewall pad existed. I just spray painted some flat black over the shiny layer of deadener and it basically disappeared. Once again, my head had to be below the seat near the floorboard.
Is the firewall pad the stock one? Did it work out with both the sound deadener and the stock pad? Also I'm guessing that the sound deadener and pad has to go in before the wiring.

Thanks

Paul
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
Old 03-01-2022, 05:54 PM   #4
sick472

The firewall pad came new from GMC Pauls. It worked just fine over the single layer of peel-n-seal sound deadener. I'm not sure what other pad you are talking about, my firewall pad was a cardboard-like covering with fuzzy jute sound deadener behind it. I'm pretty sure I did my wiring after the pad was installed, but There might be a few things that could/should be done first or at the same time. It's been too long since I did that to be honest, but I do remember wishing I had fished a few things (washer hoses and choke cable maybe) though the firewall and pad at the same time. I ended up using coat hanger wire to fish those items through so it was no big deal.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:10 PM   #5
LS short box

Here's a pic of my 68. Dyna mat like sticky sound deadener. Then I used foil covered jute about 3/8" thick. Then carpet from Summit which was ACC. I too painted the sound deadener on the firewall. On the back panel I used black trunk liner.
Zero heat in the cab from the engine or headers.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:41 PM   #6
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
The firewall pad came new from GMC Pauls. It worked just fine over the single layer of peel-n-seal sound deadener. I'm not sure what other pad you are talking about, my firewall pad was a cardboard-like covering with fuzzy jute sound deadener behind it. I'm pretty sure I did my wiring after the pad was installed, but There might be a few things that could/should be done first or at the same time. It's been too long since I did that to be honest, but I do remember wishing I had fished a few things (washer hoses and choke cable maybe) though the firewall and pad at the same time. I ended up using coat hanger wire to fish those items through so it was no big deal.
I guess we are talking about the same firewall pad. Thanks for the tips!''\
Old 03-01-2022, 06:41 PM   #7
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
Here's a pic of my 68. Dyna mat like sticky sound deadener. Then I used foil covered jute about 3/8" thick. Then carpet from Summit which was ACC. I too painted the sound deadener on the firewall. On the back panel I used black trunk liner.
Zero heat in the cab from the engine or headers.
Wow that looks great!
Old 03-02-2022, 01:15 PM   #8
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I ran the dynomat all the way up under my dash. The ACC carpet does not go up to hide it. Ended up having more material installed to cover the dynomat so you couldn't see it. If you don't want to do that then safest bet is to stop your dynomat about half way up.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 01:38 PM   #9
notsolo

On mine closed cell foam over fatman, all the way up the firewall...ACC carpet just reaches the bottom of the heater. Used a vinyl product called tarkit to cover the firewall.( 30 yr old ) left over from previous restoration.
Attached Images

notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote