The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2022, 12:13 PM   #1
72k20Farmtruck

XM Antenna Location

Hi everyone, I have a long beach Retrosound stereo for my 72, and I bought the xm kit to listen to satellite radio. Who has XM in their trucks and where did you route the wire for the antenna and more importantly where did you put the antenna? Thanks!!
72k20Farmtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 03:03 PM   #2
tdangle

Re: XM Antenna Location

I just use my phone with the xm/sirus app and Bluetooth stream to the aftermarket radio I have installed. I thought about upgrading to a radio with satellite radio, but the streaming is included free with my account and I'd have to pay a subscription for another radio.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 12:46 AM   #3
72k20Farmtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
I just use my phone with the xm/sirus app and Bluetooth stream to the aftermarket radio I have installed. I thought about upgrading to a radio with satellite radio, but the streaming is included free with my account and I'd have to pay a subscription for another radio.
Right on, yeah I’m just looking for ideas on where to put this thing. Any ideas are appreciated!
Old 03-14-2022, 11:09 AM   #4
leftybass209

If it's waterproof you could mount it underneath the cowl panel where the wiper linkage is.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 11:56 AM   #5
dagnabbitt

I haven't done it yet but I was going to try to route the wire under the seat and through the fuel line hole, then bring it up between the cab and the box and mount it in an unobtrusive spot under/beside the rear window. I assume you have the magnetic antennae like I do.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 03:05 PM   #6
72k20Farmtruck

[QUOTE=leftybass209;9051156]If it's waterproof you could mount it underneath the cowl panel where the wiper linkage is.[/QUOTE

Good idea! Will it work with the cowl vents partially blocking it?
Old 03-14-2022, 03:06 PM   #7
72k20Farmtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
I haven't done it yet but I was going to try to route the wire under the seat and through the fuel line hole, then bring it up between the cab and the box and mount it in an unobtrusive spot under/beside the rear window. I assume you have the magnetic antennae like I do.
I do, that was actually what I was considering doing, i just haven’t checked the length of cord to see if it is long enough. Can you extend those cords without causing any issues?
Old 03-14-2022, 03:20 PM   #8
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72k20Farmtruck View Post
I do, that was actually what I was considering doing, i just haven’t checked the length of cord to see if it is long enough. Can you extend those cords without causing any issues?
The cords are super long, you could put the antenna on the tailgate if you wanted.

I like the cowl idea above but am not sure if you would get proper reception in that location.

Lots of options and worth trying them all. Let us know what you do!
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
Old 03-14-2022, 04:36 PM   #9
LS short box

XM antennas needs to see the south sky. If you mount it some where its blocked you will lose reception.
If you have it on dash and driving north I'm almost sure you will lose reception.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 05:10 PM   #10
dagnabbitt

For my 81, I just ran it out the rear slider and stuck it on the roof. I intended it to be temporary but you know how that goes. In the meantime I have put a GPS speedo in that truck that never seems to lose signal unless you are in a tunnel. Seems like there might be an opportunity to wire them together but I don't know.

I have thought about going to a junkyard and getting a stock satellite antenna off a newer GM vehicle, something like this could go in a stake pocket or inside of a rooftop cab light, if you are clever. My 2010 Yukon has one of these on the roof and never ever loses signal. It would be visible, but at least you could better hide the wires.

The Dodge Ram ones are even more unobtrusive, smaller than a deck of cards: https://www.amazon.com/Dodge-Ram-Sat.../dp/B075W13SR9
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10

Last edited by dagnabbitt; 03-14-2022 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-15-2022, 03:01 AM   #11
72k20Farmtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
For my 81, I just ran it out the rear slider and stuck it on the roof. I intended it to be temporary but you know how that goes. In the meantime I have put a GPS speedo in that truck that never seems to lose signal unless you are in a tunnel. Seems like there might be an opportunity to wire them together but I don't know.

I have thought about going to a junkyard and getting a stock satellite antenna off a newer GM vehicle, something like this could go in a stake pocket or inside of a rooftop cab light, if you are clever. My 2010 Yukon has one of these on the roof and never ever loses signal. It would be visible, but at least you could better hide the wires.

The Dodge Ram ones are even more unobtrusive, smaller than a deck of cards: https://www.amazon.com/Dodge-Ram-Sat.../dp/B075W13SR9
Awesome. Appreciate the tips. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2022, 10:53 AM   #12
my67c20

As LS short box mentioned these things need a good view of the sky. Does your truck have a light on the backside of the cab? If not add one and make a sheet metal bracket over it like a rain hood and install it there. This way it will look sorta stock, give some light to the bed and give good reception
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 02:52 PM   #13
72k20Farmtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67c20 View Post
As LS short box mentioned these things need a good view of the sky. Does your truck have a light on the backside of the cab? If not add one and make a sheet metal bracket over it like a rain hood and install it there. This way it will look sorta stock, give some light to the bed and give good reception
I had thought about running it out of the cab light, if I had one…
Truck is painted and finished now. Too intrusive to install one now. Thanks for the idea tho!
Old 03-15-2022, 04:38 PM   #14
LS short box

Just a quick note. My shop XM "looks" thru my shop window glass and works fine. It's pointed at the south east sky. Fairly steep angle.
Also check with XM/Sirus and they may give you a receiver if you open up a new account.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 07:51 PM   #15
Stephen717

Would the dodge one work in a cab light without losing signal, if so that'd be the perfect hiding spot for it, and I could run the wire down the a pillar alongside the cab light wire so that there's nothing exposed
Stephen717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:18 AM   #16
my67c20

Other option, since the cables on these antennas are 100' long, route the wire thru one of the many holes in the firewall, under the truck, up the back to the roof and tuck the cable in the rear window seal. You could do the same on the front window, but rear windows is not in your field of vision if the wire comes loose.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:28 AM   #17
68 C10 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
XM antennas needs to see the south sky. If you mount it some where its blocked you will lose reception.
If you have it on dash and driving north I'm almost sure you will lose reception.
I have a S/XM antenna mounted on the dash of my MINI and never lose reception, so I think on the dash of your C10 would work just fine.
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 12:41 PM   #18
MidLifer

I worked for SiriusXM for 7 years, actually managed the app, so that would be my choice these days but if you want to go with the satellite, start with the antenna in the corner of the dash and try that. In most areas you will have plenty of signal even with the loss caused by the antenna being inside the truck. SiriusXM has terrestrial repeaters in most big cities and towns to "fill in the blanks" in the satellite coverage.

If, after a few weeks of normal driving, you find that you need more oomph to get a consistent signal, then look for a way to mount it on the cab roof. One idea would be to drill a tiny hole in the back of the cab above the window, run the wire through that (you'll have to cut the connector off and re-attach it to do so) and then seal it with some high quality sealant.
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote