The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2022, 11:42 PM   #1
Dodge68charger

Wire Identification Help?

Hey Guys Im Down To The Last Few Wires On My 69c10 But Not Sure Where They Go..

Im Running an American Autowire Harness And Theres A Pink Wire Labeled 12 Volt Ignition and a Green That Says Back Up Lights Coming Off The Dash Harness

Any Help Would Be Great. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Dodge68charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:46 AM   #2
bassxlr8r

Re: Wire Identification Help?

Those would be the feed and output to integrate a reverse position sensor/backup light switch. Your reverse lights will not operate unless something is connected into those wires.

If you don't have one, Lokar sells one for most GM automatics. It has to be mounted on the side of the transmission at the linkage. Install is fairly easy, kind of a pain to get adjusted if you're by yourself (In cab, under truck, check lights, repeat...)

If you have a manual, that will be specific to the transmission you're running. Most all of those will have their own switch type that can't be interchanged.

I've even seen some cars where they just installed a toggle switch. I didn't care for that setup, but I guess it works. Just don't forget to turn it back off when you're done backing up. Maybe that's why I've seen cars/trucks going forward down the road with the backup lights on.
bassxlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 02:01 AM   #3
RustyPile

If that pink wire originates at the ignition switch, it powers the ignition system.. If you have the original points type ignition, it connects to the bulkhead connector having the resistor wire on the engine bay side of the connector. If you have an HEI ignition, the pink wire connects to the bulkhead connector having the pink wire on the engine bay side that goes to the "BATT" terminal on the HEI unit.

Here's the same hint/tip I offer to anyone doing electrical work: Go to the "ELECTRICAL" forum and down load the proper wiring diagram for your vehicle.
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 04:22 PM   #4
fun in dirt

Yep what bassxlr8r said... pink in & green out to power your reverse lights, that switch is toward bottom of steering column tube, on top side.
'06 Silverado SS...DD
'06 C1500 WT...DD
'07 Classic C1500 WT...DD
Built & sold cause can't keep 'em all:
'72 Blazer "The Bucket" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433190
'55 Chevy straight axle gasser https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173938
'69 Pro Street Chevelle http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332541
'86 M1031 CUCV http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=553619
fun in dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 05:18 PM   #5
RustyPile

Unless AAW changed the color "coding" on their harness, two green wires - one dark green from the fuse box and one light green to the reverse lights - make up the reverse light circuit. Both of them go to the reverse switch.. As I stated, if that pink wire comes from the ignition switch, it is for the ignition.. Compare the wiring diagram for this truck with the harness you have.

[edited for clarity]

Last edited by RustyPile; 03-21-2022 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-21-2022, 10:10 PM   #6
BASE

AAW’s schematic shows a pink and green wire running to the reverse switch.

'68 K10 496/465/205
BASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 01:33 AM   #7
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASE View Post
AAW’s schematic shows a pink and green wire running to the reverse switch.
During all the years I worked as a GM mechanic, one thing I learned about them was their consistency in the color code of their wiring circuits from model to model and year to year. As a for instance, I could use a Pontiac Catalina wiring diagram to sort out a problem in a Chevrolet Impala. And then along comes AAW and for no apparent good reason, they do this s**t.. Not only do they change a "universally accepted" procedure, they say the following.

"NOTICE: This schematic drawing is for reference only. Do not use the schematic to install this wiring kit! Use the instruction sheets included in each bag.... "

If they don't want you to use the diagram, why include it in the kit??? So what or whose diagram DO you use??? AAW must use some second rate Chinese engineers designing their products.

I'm sorry I can't be much help to you, Dodge68charger. Maybe these other guys can. I have no idea what deviations AAW made to the wire colors in their harnesses.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:12 AM   #8
BASE

At first glance, it looked to me like they used the same wire colors, but I'm starting to see it's not 100%. Close enough to cause confusion. I think the options detailed in the instructions for each section are the reason for the disclaimer.

I haven't got very far into it yet but the printed sticker for the firewall cutout pissed me off right off the bat.

'68 K10 496/465/205
BASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 11:55 AM   #9
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASE View Post
At first glance, it looked to me like they used the same wire colors, but I'm starting to see it's not 100%. Close enough to cause confusion. I think the options detailed in the instructions for each section are the reason for the disclaimer.

I haven't got very far into it yet but the printed sticker for the firewall cutout pissed me off right off the bat.

"Pissed off" is not a good way to start a project.. Just a sign of things to come. Disclaimers be damned. What you gonna do down the road when the project is finished and an electrical problem crops up and no reliable diagram is avaliable?? My suggestion, and it may be too late.. Pack it up and return it.. Reason -- Does not fit your application.. Just a suggestion, YMMV....