The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2022, 09:18 PM   #1
sfont66

Pcv hose routing

I have searched a lot, and can’t find a definite answer. This is my first Ls swap, and I am learning as I go….
The engine is a 2006 5.3 (L33) with a 2002 Ls6 intake. T56 Magnum transmission

My question is: is it ok to run the hose from the drivers side valve cover to the vacuum port on the rear of the intake, the port normally used for the brake booster?
I have a manual Wilwood master cylinder, and the stock map sensor on the intake will not be used ( I am using a Holley terminator with its own map sensor)
Any issues gaining access to vacuum here, rather than the front of the intake?
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2022, 09:21 AM   #2
A1971Blazer

Re: Pcv hose routing

If you have a PCV valve in the line, it would probably be ok as long as it doesn't pull an excessive amount of oil thru.
I'm using an LS1 for my swap that has the LS6 intake and valley cover....
I converted my PCV as shown on this link.
https://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:19 PM   #3
sfont66

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
If you have a PCV valve in the line, it would probably be ok as long as it doesn't pull an excessive amount of oil thru.
I'm using an LS1 for my swap that has the LS6 intake and valley cover....
I converted my PCV as shown on this link.
https://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18
Thanks for the response, and posting the link. I really do appreciate the feedback!
I think this could be a solution, however I hope to not pull anything back apart this spring if I can help it. I may take another look at this mod for next winter’s project, when I plan to add a cam, lifters and possibly ported heads,and bigger injectors.
If oil in the intake is an issue, I’m not totally opposed to adding a catch can.
Is there any reason the vacuum would be too strong, or stronger here rather than the front of the intake?
I did read a post over on Ls1Tech, his post stated that it didn’t matter where the port was on the intake, just that a connection was needed at the intake manifold, and one between the Throttle body and MAF.
Can anyone confirm this? Any thoughts?
Old 04-04-2022, 10:17 AM   #4
71cadc10

you are correct, the amount of manifold vacuum is the same anywhere in the intake...as long as you are behind the throttle body.

The LS6 valley cover is nice, since it gives you a nipple sticking out right underneath the throttle body area, and there is a U bend hose that is short and connects direct to the intake. They don't seem to pull a ton of oil from the valley, like they do from the valve cover on driver side.
If you stick a catch can between that driver side valve cover port and the rear intake port, I think you'll be good. At high rpm you may get some oil sucking in there into cylinder 7 and 8.
of course you will want to plug that MAP sensor hole and the other 2 nipples in the intake you won't be using, guessing you planned on that.
Old 04-04-2022, 07:56 PM   #5
sfont66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71cadc10 View Post
you are correct, the amount of manifold vacuum is the same anywhere in the intake...as long as you are behind the throttle body.

The LS6 valley cover is nice, since it gives you a nipple sticking out right underneath the throttle body area, and there is a U bend hose that is short and connects direct to the intake. They don't seem to pull a ton of oil from the valley, like they do from the valve cover on driver side.
If you stick a catch can between that driver side valve cover port and the rear intake port, I think you'll be good. At high rpm you may get some oil sucking in there into cylinder 7 and 8.
of course you will want to plug that MAP sensor hole and the other 2 nipples in the intake you won't be using, guessing you planned on that.

Thank you for the reply, and for confirming my research. The more I think about it I do like the idea of using a Ls6 valley cover both you and A1971Blazer suggest. I am hoping to be able to get this project running in the next few weeks, and as I said before I don’t want to pull it back apart right now, but I will next winter. A catch can may have to be the temporary solution.