The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2004, 12:05 PM   #1
bluex

Throttle cable...

What are you guys running for a throttle cable? I cant run my stock one b/c it is way to long and will barely take the carb off idle. It worked ok on my q-jet with the performer intake, but its at least 5-6" too long for the 1406 on the rpm. I went to get one at advance, but they only carry one just like the one I have.

Thanks
Paul
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 12:23 PM   #2
bigblock73
yeller

I'll be running a Lokar cable on mine.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 03:09 PM   #3
bluex

Do you have a part number or anything? I looked in my summit catalog, but didnt see anything. I probably looked right over it though, all I found were throttle stops.

Thanks
Paul
Old 07-28-2004, 10:28 PM   #4
bluex

found the cables in summit. Jeff are you going to use the universal one, their part number is lok-tcp-1000ht it's $50! The only other one they list is a 24" one for $27, but I think it will be too long.

As much as I dont like it the universal one will probably be the best bet to make me happy. As much as I spent so far I dont wanna use a crappy cable that wont allow me WOT.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:33 PM   #5
bigblock73
yeller

I haven't looked into their cables closely (part number wise), but a friend of mine has one on his truck and they look (and work) excellent!
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:35 PM   #6
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I don't think it's the cable. I believe your trouble is the mounting bracket. I think Gchemist has figured this out. Order the right bracket and your stock cable will work.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:43 PM   #7
bluex

Well the main problem with my bracket was it did not fit the wide bolt pattern on the 1406. Plus it still would not clear the Bowtie Overdrives bracket that I got with there TV cable kit. It had a lip on top, so I cut the stock bracket and drilled holes in both of them to mount the throttle bracket too.

I'm going to see if I can find some better pictures of the Lokar cable to see if it will work.

Here is a pic. The BTO bracket is on the bottom, my modified throttle bracket is on top of it. Its roughly in the same location as stock, just a little higher.

Old 07-28-2004, 10:47 PM   #8
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Oh. I thought you were using the stock cable/bracket. I know the stock bracket don't work right with the 1406's. One thing is for sure, make sure you get it right or else it will kill the 700R4 so fast it'll make your head spin.
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:05 PM   #9
bluex

ya, thats the main reason why I'm worried about it. I dont have the $$ to fix the tranny if I screw it up. So my nicely rebuilt motor will be sitting and my truck just wasting away again. I have the TV set now and its all the way out with me pulling WOT. I wired it up with some saftey wire so I could start it, I'm getting WOT that way, but no way I will trust it for long, plus it just looks bad. I drove it up the street yesterday (thats how I found out it dosent have brakes). It didnt shift out of first, but I didnt get over 20, and I forgot to hook up the vac. advance so it wasnt pulling good under load anyways. I got to excited and took off without thinking. I hope to get the brakes bled tomorrow and get it back to my house, I know my mom is tired of looking at it.