The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2022, 03:46 AM   #26
powell72

Re: My solution to Wheel Vintiques Series 62’s

HD drum-
Attached Images

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 03:48 AM   #27
powell72

11x2” standard drum. Without the recessed mounting face.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2022, 08:45 AM   #28
special-K
Special Order

I guess what I was thinking is it would have made more sense for Wheel Vintiques to have replicated the same dimensions as GM factory wheels, since that is what the 5 on 5s were made for, primarily. Or at least use the same backspacing. I don't know the manufacturing process, but I was assuming the centers for each lug pattern has it's own tooling. I have no experience with these wheels to date, but IIRC, people have had issues with too much backspace 71/72s. Like I said, no experience myself and maybe I'm wrong about 71/72s. I'll say it's great to know the proper remedy either way

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:50 AM   #29
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by powell72 View Post
First of all, gotta say I was hoping you’d chime in on this thread and share some knowledge!

They are 4 1/4” BS. I think that’s the standard on them. All the 62’s I’ve ran have been 4 1/4” BS on 15x6, 15x7, and 15x8’s.

The method I used here would only work for widths up to 8” I would assume without a custom backspace.

The issue with these wheels and the HD drums is the outside mounting surface of the drum is recessed in about a 1/4” deeper than the lip on the outside of the drum, so the lip on the outside edge of the drum hits the backside of the four window openings on the perimeter of the wheels before the inner wheel mounting face touches the drums outer mounting surface. It’s been so long since I’ve seen the back of a GM steel wheel I’d love to see a pic to compare how GM’s windows in the wheels are rolled in compared to Wheel Vintiques.
I couldn't remember where the contact point was when I tried them; I just knew they made contact. If they were making contact @ the area the center/hub contacts the barrel/hoop (where the welds are laid down), the spacer is likely the only solution as altering back spacing would only remedy contact @ the barrel in my mind. It's possible the thickness of the spacer could be reduced based on the dimensions of the recessed mounting surface vs. outer lip area you mentioned.

I tried the HD set-up w/8" wheels when I was looking for budget friendly wheels for my '64 years ago. I don't recall the exact specs but pretty sure they were 4"BS. It's been >12yrs though so.... I knew I was going wider than 8" so I stepped up to 16" (16x10's) & was able to mount them on the standard or HD set-up.

I'm guessing Wheel Vintiques has different 'standard back-spacing' depending on series/bolt-pattern/size. I got 15x8" 62 Series for my Malibu & they were 4.25"BS standard. The similar '82 Series' for my 3/4 ton OBS came w/4"BS standard (16x8" 8-lugs). I wound up ordering a 2nd set of those w/custom back-spacing @ 5" & selling the 1st pair of 8's.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 04-12-2022 at 09:05 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 09:50 AM   #30
powell72

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I guess what I was thinking is it would have made more sense for Wheel Vintiques to have replicated the same dimensions as GM factory wheels, since that is what the 5 on 5s were made for, primarily. Or at least use the same backspacing. I don't know the manufacturing process, but I was assuming the centers for each lug pattern has it's own tooling. I have no experience with these wheels to date, but IIRC, people have had issues with too much backspace 71/72s. Like I said, no experience myself and maybe I'm wrong about 71/72s. I'll say it's great to know the proper remedy either way
I’ve never ran a set bs production wheel over 8” wide on my C-10’s. When I’ve had larger diameter wheels I like to run 10” wide and set my own backspace.
But to your point, I’ve ran these wheels in 8” on my 67-72’s (67-70’s I’ve had 71/72 rears in) with no issues before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I couldn't remember where the contact point was when I tried them; I just knew they made contact. If they were making contact @ the area the center/hub contacts the barrel/hoop (where the welds are laid down), the spacer is likely the only solution as altering back spacing would only remedy contact @ the barrel in my mind. It's possible the thickness of the spacer could be reduced based on the dimensions of the recessed mounting surface vs. outer lip area you mentioned.

I tried the HD set-up w/8" wheels when I was looking for budget friendly wheels for my '64 years ago. I don't recall the exact specs but pretty sure they were 4"BS. It's been >12yrs though so.... I knew I was going wider than 8" so I stepped up to 16" (16x10's) & was able to mount them on the standard or HD set-up.

I'm guessing Wheel Vintiques has different 'standard back-spacing' depending on series/bolt-pattern/size. I got 15x8" 62 Series for my Malibu & they were 4.25"BS standard. The similar '82 Series' for my 3/4 ton OBS came w/4"BS standard (16x8" 8-lugs). I wound up ordering a 2nd set of those w/custom back-spacing @ 5" & selling the 1st pair of 8's.

So many different variables in this hobby of ours, remember how much more difficult and time consuming this was before the internet?

Old 04-12-2022, 11:28 AM   #31
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by powell72 View Post
I’ve never ran a set bs production wheel over 8” wide on my C-10’s. When I’ve had larger diameter wheels I like to run 10” wide and set my own backspace.
But to your point, I’ve ran these wheels in 8” on my 67-72’s (67-70’s I’ve had 71/72 rears in) with no issues before.

So many different variables in this hobby of ours, remember how much more difficult and time consuming this was before the internet?
Very true. Finding specific stuff was why swap meets were the go-to before the NET. We still go to swap meets just to see if there's something we can't live without. For for items we NEED, the NET has been a tremendous asset for the most part. But the internet option is only as good as the seller representing the part being sold. Any experience/transaction can be good, great, or a disaster.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote