The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2022, 07:13 PM   #26
TKCR

Re: How would you fix the Chevrolet badge on an 87 tailgate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Papa ,3m emblem tape will hold it on there, it's been holding my fender emblems for yrs, those studs were broke off as well
Mine are broken on my fender emblems also. I got them both with 3M tape on the back, just need to decide if I’m actually going to put them on the fenders.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 07:22 PM   #27
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
thx that's my answer ,,now to find a real nice one. pick and pull around here is not where I will find one..
I have one, I just can’t figure out where it’s at. No studs, they all broke off. I even have a tailgate band. I believe it’s a 81-87 Chevy. I bought it off someone local, to cleanup and resell, but haven’t done it yet. It’s in a box out in the garage. I’ll have to get it out and take some pics for you.
Old 04-10-2022, 08:47 PM   #28
GOPAPA

[QUOTE=TKCR;9064775]I have one, I just can’t figure out where it’s at. No studs, they all broke off. I even have a tailgate band. I believe it’s a 81-87 Chevy. I bought it off someone local, to cleanup and resell, but haven’t done it yet. It’s in a box out in the garage. I’ll have to get it out and take some pics for you.[/QUOTE

Ok thx ,,.. get it out ,,,clean it up and send me some pictures ..Tina I need to see some up close pics so I can decide if it looks OK with just the letters or the whole thing will look good on my tail gate ... ( it has to be cheap in case it does no work ) lol

I got a brand new tail gate leather badging for a 71-72 Chevy Truck still in the box ,,it would not fit ,or I might of put it on my truck. I need to sell it as it just sits up in the shed loft all safe and all .

Last edited by GOPAPA; 04-11-2022 at 08:59 AM.
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 02:38 AM   #29
bennylava

How are you going to deal with the back of the emblem having precious little area to apply the tape? Cause looking at those from the late 80's trucks, it looks like there's very little contact area for tape. Just saying because your emblem might be only attached weakly, and may fall off later.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:26 AM   #30
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
How are you going to deal with the back of the emblem having precious little area to apply the tape? Cause looking at those from the late 80's trucks, it looks like there's very little contact area for tape. Just saying because your emblem might be only attached weakly, and may fall off later.
You have a valid point , I am waiting to see what Tina has with photos ,,as I have never seen a emblem in person,, I will be looking at drilling a smaller hole through the studs (if possible) and use decretive screws to mount it to the tail gate .. I might find that the emblem is fragile and will not screw up tight ,, I might find that there are not enough studs to mount it up tight .. I might find that my idea is so well liked that I have shot myself in the foot with getting one for myself,, who knows ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I can only decide that by me seeing what I have to work with,,,,,,,,,,,I just thought it would look real nice with just the emblem with the my paint of my tail gate showing throught around the lettering.
Old 04-13-2022, 09:45 AM   #31
TKCR

Quote:
You have a valid point , I am waiting to see what Tina has with photos ,,as I have never seen a emblem in person,, I will be looking at drilling a smaller hole through the studs (if possible) and use decretive screws to mount it to the tail gate .. I might find that the emblem is fragile and will not screw up tight ,, I might find that there are not enough studs to mount it up tight .. I might find that my idea is so well liked that I have shot myself in the foot with getting one for myself,, who knows ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I can only decide that by me seeing what I have to work with,,,,,,,,,,,I just thought it would look real nice with just the emblem with the my paint of my tail gate showing throught around the lettering.
That’s why I had said in the previous post, that I’m pretty sure that can’t be done. I have seen the emblems, the backside. What I have to show you is the tailgate trim itself, with the emblem already on there. I can’t find the emblem itself, the one that had the studs broken off. And I wouldn’t want to take the emblem off the tailgate trim, because the studs will break trying to remove it. I’ll try and get it out today and get pictures. I’ve just been crazy busy, but I will make time today.
Old 04-13-2022, 04:16 PM   #32
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
That’s why I had said in the previous post, that I’m pretty sure that can’t be done. I have seen the emblems, the backside. What I have to show you is the tailgate trim itself, with the emblem already on there. I can’t find the emblem itself, the one that had the studs broken off. And I wouldn’t want to take the emblem off the tailgate trim, because the studs will break trying to remove it. I’ll try and get it out today and get pictures. I’ve just been crazy busy, but I will make time today.
I'll save you the problem of digging out the tail gate badging,, I am going a different route ,,
Old 04-13-2022, 07:40 PM   #33
TKCR

Quote:
I'll save you the problem of digging out the tail gate badging,, I am going a different route ,,
Old 04-13-2022, 08:39 PM   #34
bennylava

Quote:
I think you could fill in the emblem with exterior liquid nails. Maybe help it out by giving it some scratches with 80 grit. That would give you a flat surface on the back of the emblem.

But then you kinda need something hard to stick the tape too. So it's probably best to make a new (tougher) plastic gasket to replace the old one. Glue it to the emblem when you use the liquid nails. Now you can use the original holes (that you transferred to the new gasket) to do alignment so you can be sure it's on straight.

And you could put some bolts through the new plastic gasket, so now you have a much better way of attaching the emblem than GM originally provided. All of this would have to be done with the aluminum tailgate band off, of course.
Old 04-14-2022, 09:33 AM   #35
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
I think you could fill in the emblem with exterior liquid nails. Maybe help it out by giving it some scratches with 80 grit. That would give you a flat surface on the back of the emblem.

But then you kinda need something hard to stick the tape too. So it's probably best to make a new (tougher) plastic gasket to replace the old one. Glue it to the emblem when you use the liquid nails. Now you can use the original holes (that you transferred to the new gasket) to do alignment so you can be sure it's on straight.

And you could put some bolts through the new plastic gasket, so now you have a much better way of attaching the emblem than GM originally provided. All of this would have to be done with the aluminum tailgate band off, of course.
Great Idea .. I will copy this and keep it for guidence if i ever get a used tail gate band ..
Old 04-14-2022, 10:09 AM   #36
TKCR

Quote:
Great Idea .. I will copy this and keep it for guidence if i ever get a used tail gate band ..
Ok, now I’m confused. I said I have a tailgate band. And I did also have just the emblem without studs, but that I can’t find. So are you interested in the tailgate band? Mine is a GMC , but it is a nice band.
I took a few pics of the backside also. The ones with the screw, that’s how it attaches to the tailgate. The round holes all along the back, that is how you access the studs on the emblems. That part is universal, so any of the emblem studs can be accessed. Or if you do what your planning, trying to screw into the emblem. I suppose anything can be done with some ingenuity.
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 04-14-2022 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-14-2022, 11:24 AM   #37
GOPAPA

thx Tina .. that does show me a lot I did not know .. I do have a Chevy ..does the GMC emblem have two holes to get to studs or 3 ? I am guessing that the Chevrolet band has more holes as ,,,,,,,,isn't it the whole name spelled out CHEVROLET ?
Old 04-14-2022, 12:50 PM   #38
TotallyHucked

The CHEVROLET is on the other side (passenger side) as well. You'd have to drill holes for that and then do something about the holes for the GMC (driver's side)
Walker Tuned
5/8 drop
US Mags
TotallyHucked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:09 PM   #39
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyHucked View Post
The CHEVROLET is on the other side (passenger side) as well. You'd have to drill holes for that and then do something about the holes for the GMC (driver's side)
Good to know .. I will look around some for a used tail gate badge and that I can see it in person off a truck so I can decide if it can be done and still look good before I buy one .. my truck is not all dressed out with the Scotts Dale Pkg.. but I do have the chrome around my wheels and I thought it might look pretty sharp with the tail gate letters on it ..we'll see
Old 04-15-2022, 06:57 AM   #40
bennylava

Looks like your band has some dents in it, in pic #2. Small, but still visible.