The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2022, 02:54 PM   #1
Chevy nutcase

Need opinions

Its been a while since I posted here sorry. In my endless search for a good rebuild candidate has me wondering if I finally found one or should I pass on it. It's a 66 original shortbed. The engine is your typical 350 backed by a Saginaw 4spd. The other good points include power brakes with front disk and drop spindles. Rear is dropped with coils and blocks and is sitting on good tires on nice torque wheels. Rear control arms are excellent. The cab floor is relatively good minus one front support and the frame is equally fine and theres no evidence the roof leaked and rotted the interior roof or A pillars. The bad points being the bed floor is wasted as a long time ago someone welded a plate in over rotted wood so the support rails are also shot. The rear fenders while relatively sold are dented. The hood front lower lip is pretty bad but replaceable but it does come with a 2nd hood that's is in an equal state. Windshield smoke has barely started and has a tiny crack on the passenger side. Driver side door might need replacement because the d skin on the bottom has nothing to atatch to. Interior is reminiscent of jeepers creepers, seat foam is deteriorated. Hes asking $11,500 and I'm wondering what you gurus think
Attached Images

Chevy nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 04:43 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Need opinions

Seems like a tad more than I'd pay. But I've been out of the price loop for a while now.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 04:54 PM   #3
cwcarpenter98

Seems a little high to me as well.

It's also not the original paint, so although it might look decent, there could be rust hiding behind bondo and fiberglass in the typical areas these trucks rust at

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 06:34 PM   #4
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Seems a little high to me as well.

It's also not the original paint, so although it might look decent, there could be rust hiding behind bondo and fiberglass in the typical areas these trucks rust at
The thing is there is some bondo that's pretty obvious filling dents. The paint is probably rustoleum navy blue and the outer rockers are either slip on or have been replaced. Me trying to justify the 11.5k asking price is it's mostly there and I can drive it as I work on it. I'm going to be doing the bulk of body work myself and having a local sandblasting outfit visited occasionally. I've got two people saying it's a bit high, I'd like to know how much is a bit.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:29 PM   #5
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Little steep on the price.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 03:06 PM   #6
val1gonzales

I agree with the other on this one. The price is high, I'd even say extremely high. Truck is nice however just on face value and with what you said it's worth maybe 5 grand.
You're going to have to put money into a truck to get it rebuilt. Why spend a lot on what someone else tried to do. Everyone knows you're never going to get out of them what you put into it. At least not for a long time.
But, if you really want it for that price and have to have it, go for it. After all it's your time, hard work and money. Frankly, in all fairness I'd at the highest only offer six and if he doesn't want it just shake hands, thank them for their time and walk away. It's like fishing, patience.

Last edited by cwcarpenter98; 04-23-2022 at 04:58 PM.
val1gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 03:58 PM   #7
LostMy65

Patience is important here.
They aren't popping up all over like they were years back, but if you keep a close eye on the Craigslist finds thread, there are still decent to great deals out there.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 04-23-2022, 09:17 PM   #8
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Patience is important here.
They aren't popping up all over like they were years back, but if you keep a close eye on the Craigslist finds thread, there are still decent to great deals out there.
Believe me I understand how expensive impatience is. I've been combing marketplace, Craigslist and ebay daily for over a year and a half. I've looked at some real piles of crap that I easily passed on and I missed a chance at a few because the nice ones dont last long. I initially thought his asking price was not to far off because honestly here in Pennsylvania a decent long bed is going for 5-6k, shortbed fleetsides are 7-8k and a stepside is 12-13k. It baffles me how a 65 stepside with a bed on it from the 90s makes people think they can ask 15k because I've seen it more than once. What's even more baffling is they are getting these prices or they are deleting the ads from frustration idk. I'd love to get a western truck but I really dont know if I could drop serious coin on a truck I haven't physically touched.
Old 04-24-2022, 01:43 AM   #9
LostMy65

You probably know better what is a fair price for your immediate area.
Especially if you have been looking for a long time.
And I know what you mean about buying something further away without seeing it in person.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 04-24-2022, 03:16 AM   #10
350TacoZilla

As someone from the rust belt with you man here is my best advice, look elsewhere and drive to trailer it back but be willing to walk away once you get there. Maybe see if you can find 2 trucks that are close together and maybe within a days round trip from your house. Yes you will put $ in fuel and lose a day but you can save money and get a decent truck if your willing to expand your search. I didn't do this because my truck ended up popping up semi local for a deal I could afford so I jumped on it rust and all.

Obviously some choices here can be to fly to where truck is if you have gotten enough pics to commit to the purchase then rent a truck and trailer to pick it up from place like Uhaul. Maybe make a road trip out of it if truck is in driving shape and your not too far away. Last option would be buy online and pay to ship even if that just means have a buddy in the area tow it to you.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 04:13 AM   #11
franken

That's a nice truck.
Prices have been going nuts lately.
The OP being in PA could make one ask where was/is the truck born. A PA truck will be a pile of rust.
An AZ or OK, etc. truck maybe.
I'm in TX and recently saw a non-running 55-57 for $10.5k at a swapmeet. It was very solid, shortbed half ton with a later V8. Nice truck but the money seemed very high.

Much like houses, prices are insane.

Thankfully, I paid too much years ago...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 08:03 PM   #12
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
That's a nice truck.
Prices have been going nuts lately.
The OP being in PA could make one ask where was/is the truck born. A PA truck will be a pile of rust.
An AZ or OK, etc. truck maybe.
I'm in TX and recently saw a non-running 55-57 for $10.5k at a swapmeet. It was very solid, shortbed half ton with a later V8. Nice truck but the money seemed very high.

Much like houses, prices are insane.

Thankfully, I paid too much years ago...
Now if I saw a 55-57 with a solid body for 10k I know it would be a matter of a day or two before its sold here in Pennsylvania. I guess being in a prime rust state is a severe detriment to those seeking a bargain. I noticed a gentleman named Graham57 has a 67 swb here in the classifieds that looks to be in good condition for 8k. If that was closer and not cost me 1500+ to ship it I'd probably jump on it. But then again after the rust issues and brake upgrades I'll be well past the 11.5k of the local truck I started this thread about.