The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2022, 09:48 AM   #1
Tom1878

Brake hose from master cylinder to hardlines?

First time poster, long time stalker lol. I have a 68C10 SWB that I'm installing power brakes and front disk brakes and I'm wondering if anyone has run a stainless braided brake hose from the master cylinder down to the hard lines on the crossmember? I know the rear line is 1/4" but wonder how much the short 3/16" ID brake hose would effect the rear drums or if it even would? I can make brake hoses here at work so I can make whatever I need, just looking for some input from people who have possibly done it.

Thanks, Tom
Tom1878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 01:33 PM   #2
PbFut

Re: Brake hose from master cylinder to hardlines?

As long as the line you are considering does not bulge under pressure there is no particular reason it would not work. A brake line can see pressures as high as 8-1200lbs at peek.
Hard line installed correctly will have a longer life and generally be safer from failure. I would probably not use flex unless no other option. Making hardlines (Bends and Flairs) is not hard with the correct tools and is kind of satisfying when completed. You have flex at each wheel, so it's not much different, but notice it's only used where movement is expected.

Last edited by PbFut; 04-28-2022 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Added last line
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:12 PM   #3
Tom1878

Re: Brake hose from master cylinder to hardlines?

Yea we build DOT brake hoses and have to test them to 3000 psi. I figured it would be ok just wasn't sure how much the smaller ID hose leading to the rear hard lines would effect their operation.
Tom1878 is offline   Reply With Quote