The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2022, 10:02 AM   #1
ChadW

1966 SWB Rewire planning and questions...

Good morning...I am building a full custom 66 and getting close to sending it to paint/body...I have been thinking about my firewall and how many and where the harnesse(s) come through....There was NO wiring in the cab when i got it, so that was not there to look at, but i am wanting to make it as clean as possible and not worried about where the factory ran things...I have pretty much shaved all holes in the firewall and welded them closed with plugs...I am going to be using the AAW Classic update kit and was wondering if anyone that has done this kit can tell me how many different Holes/bulkheads are needed in the firewall for all the wiring in front of the firewall...Does the kit come with new bulkheads? or do you purchase them separately? any help, thoughts, pictures etc would be greatly appreciated..Thanks!

Chad
ChadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:16 AM   #2
Braunschweiger

Re: 1966 SWB Rewire planning and questions...

I used this picture as a guide for my 62.
Attached Images

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829782
Braunschweiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:49 PM   #3
MT65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadW View Post
Good morning...I am building a full custom 66 and getting close to sending it to paint/body...I have been thinking about my firewall and how many and where the harnesse(s) come through....There was NO wiring in the cab when i got it, so that was not there to look at, but i am wanting to make it as clean as possible and not worried about where the factory ran things...I have pretty much shaved all holes in the firewall and welded them closed with plugs...I am going to be using the AAW Classic update kit and was wondering if anyone that has done this kit can tell me how many different Holes/bulkheads are needed in the firewall for all the wiring in front of the firewall...Does the kit come with new bulkheads? or do you purchase them separately? any help, thoughts, pictures etc would be greatly appreciated..Thanks!

Chad
If you have welded the holes up that are listed in the picture that Bransweiger (spelling), you will not like using the direct fit harness, I have used them and they are designed to go just as the factory harness did. You can make the Hwy 15 or 22 much cleaner and accomplish the same thing for less money. I’ll post a picture of one I did using the Hwy 22, the only factory bulkhead I used was for the front lights, all the other holes had been plugged before I got the truck. The harness you are thinking of using places the panel in the stock location, with the others I mentioned you have more latitude for location, I used the back of the cab as I moved the fuel tank..
Attached Images

MT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 03:36 PM   #4
dmulally

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadW View Post

Chad
I have a 66 and used the AAW classic update. The kit will come with everything you need and it's pretty simple to follow.

Things I can remember off the top of my head you'll need a hole in the firewall for:

main loom plug for tach, temp and ignition
Lights hole
bolt holes for fuse box
throttle
oil pressure line
Starter and fuse box power wire
bolt holes to hold gearbox dipstick if 700r4

Last edited by dmulally; 05-09-2022 at 03:56 PM.
dmulally is offline   Reply With Quote