The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2004, 02:57 AM   #1
1TonOfun

Unhappy 78 Crew Cab Doord Won't Latch

I'm not sure what the problem is with my passenger and driver's side front doors, but I have to slam them shut to get them to latch al the way. How do I fix them so they latch all the way with only lightly shutting the door? I'm afraid this will start busting things off inside the doors! Help!
1TonOfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 03:14 AM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

You probally need to adjust the striker (the bar that sticks out of the door, I think?)

Never needed to bother with it, but I do know that you have to loosen something, move it to where it should be, then your door will close.

Sorry I'm not much more help here!
Old 07-30-2004, 07:53 AM   #3
bigblock73
yeller

It could also be from the doors sagging and not hitting the striker bolt correctly, if that is the case, you will need to rebuild/replace your door hinges.

Oh, and welcome to the board.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 08:50 AM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73
It could also be from the doors sagging and not hitting the striker bolt correctly, if that is the case, you will need to rebuild/replace your door hinges. Oh, and welcome to the board.
Like Jeff said your problem is more than likely in the hinges. It's very common for the bushings and pins to wear out in the hinges. When they wear the doors sag and it doesn't line up with the striker.

Try getting the door almost closed and lifting up on the door handle. If you have up and down play the bushing are worn. You can buy kits to repair them at some auto parts.

Welcome to the forum....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 10:54 AM   #5
Grim Reaper

The plastic peice on the striker bolt is missing. It makes the diameter smaller and as such it doesn't trip the latch. If you adjust the striker so that it latches then the door will probably rattle.
Help section at pep girls or Auto zone. They sell a new striker but right buy it they will sell some gray bushings listed for a Ford. There will be 4 in the package and cost less then the GM striker. They will work but a VERY tight fit when you pound them on.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 10:58 AM   #6
Grim Reaper

http://ken-co.com/hingepin/door.htm
It shows a drawing of the part in top right. The GM striker is like the Ford Strikers farther down with the gray sleave.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 12:01 PM   #7
TrainD5115
North Coast, baby!

I've been working on the same problem. I replaced the striker bolts first and it kept the doors tight and they closed easier. Check the body lines on the doors too. Are they in line with the front fender and bed? My driver's door wasn't. The hinges were good but the bushings were shot. It's a process of elimination. If you put on new striker bolts don't torque them down right away. Snug them up a tad and shut your door to set it in the right spot. The striker should not be supporting the door, just keeping it closed. After that you can torque them. Just be sure they don't move when you tighten them or you'll have to start all over. Good luck.

79 Chevy Scottsdale (BigBird)
TrainD5115 is offline   Reply With Quote