The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2004, 09:26 PM   #1
uncle

71/72 McGaughy Dropped Spindles ?

Has anyone had a problem with these spindles. Such as dust shield rubbing lower a-frame and upper ball joint hole not as large as original spindle hole. Not trying to be picky, but when I buy a bolt on spindle I want to just bolt it on. If I had known this I would have paid the extra money for ECE parts. I KNOW THEY FIT! Thanks Tim.
uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:39 PM   #2
MOTHERTRUCKERS

Western direct bolt in or ece is a better choice in my opinion, don't let price help your decision, go quality. Western are 260.00 and lifetime warranty, i think ece is about the same but not drop forged but i could be wrong on that.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:33 AM   #3
Tim Christian

Hey Tim, I just put a set on the 72 Burb with no problems at all and we also installed a set on a 67 SWB for a customer no problems. Give me a yell if you think something is wrong with the spindals and I will make it right. Thanks Tim
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 07:04 AM   #4
GMCPaul

Something we noticed recently was that we took 4 different brands of ball joints in the following quantities and tried installing all on the same spindle as this is the result of installation test we used 3 different Moog ball joints all same part #, 2 Mcquay-Norris ball joint, 2- Tri555 ball joint, and a TRW ball joint and checked the fit in a spindle, 2 of the Moog ball joints went in the same amount on spindle and castle nut & cotter pin could be installed, 1 moog ball joint did not go in as far as the other 2 ball joints and we could not get cotter pin installed, 1 Tri555 ball joint went in further than all the other ball joints so far in fact that the castle nut was below cotter pin opening the other installed just fine, the Mcquay-Morris & TRW ball joints both fell short of being able to install press in far enough to install cotter pin in them.
Just something I thought you may be interested in knowing. Seems that the aftermarket ball joints whether USA manufactured or overseas also vary somewhat in the taper on the ball joint its-self.
We used the same spindle to check them all on yet they all seemed to fit slightly different.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 07:11 AM   #5
GMCPaul

By the way Ed Western, ECE & Mcgaughys all are made in the USA, I know ECE & McGaughy castings are both cast at same factory, all 3 use state of the art CNC machines, all 3 CNC machine the openings on spindles to factory specs, all 3 use Chromoly steel spindle pins manufactured in the USA and all 3 offer a lifetime warranty so why the jibe at don't shop price shop quality?? When we checked the all 3 companies spindles we could not find any differences in quality at all.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 03:40 PM   #6
uncle

spindles

Thanks guys for the response. I'm still using the original ball joints and I have only installed one side. I will try other side later this afternoon with a clearer head. Sorry, nothing you had to do with Tim. I had already experienced a couple of idiots with my torque thrust 2's before the installation of the spindles. ANYWAY, THANKS AGAIN.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:17 AM   #7
MOTHERTRUCKERS

As the inventor of the dropped truck spindle in1981, no single
company knows more about lowering spindle technology than
Western Chassis. With an array of computerized-numerically-
controlled (C-N-C) machines to do the drilling, tapping and
machining operations, state-of-the-art tolerances are main-
tained on every part. And, as of the year 2000, Western is the
only drop kit manufacturer guaranteeing 100% U.S. content

That was copied from Westerns site.

I'm not knocking ECE or McGaughy and I guess I have been very lucky with Western and MOOG parts fitting with no problems like above, maybe because Western only makes their own parts in their own factory for the last 23 years I trust their quality more than the others. Companies like aim,ricky racer etc that have poped up in the last 5-10 years come to mind and i'm looking at companies with a long track record of quality, with our 100% refund i have to be real careful.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:19 AM   #8
busterwivell

I've used a lot of McGaughy stuff. I usually pick it up at the Pomona swap meet from them. I've never had any problems with any of it.
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 12:28 PM   #9
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

I have McGaughy drop spindles and GM dust sheilds, with Moog ball joints on the front of my Panel. Everything bolted up great!!

WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 12:36 PM   #10
'70_402

does western have a web site? or a free catalog?
'70_402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 08:42 PM   #11
uncle

spindles

Got both of them on and I think it's just a matter of mass production, the ball joints and spindles that is. I also used drop springs with the spindles,but never ran into this before. Anyway, they are on and I think they will be OK now. Haven't made test run yet, but moved around in the yard a little with no problems. Thanks again guys and Tim Christian for standing behind what you sell.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:05 PM   #12
MOTHERTRUCKERS

No Western sells through dealers,sorry.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:29 PM   #13
Tim Christian

Hey Tim(uncle), Glad you have it worked out. Remember if you have any problems just let me know and I will send you a new set. I do stand behind everything I sell. Thanks Tim @ Christian's Classics
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote