The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2022, 10:01 AM   #1
Bob Q

6.2L Glow Controller Issue

I've been running the '85-newer style glow controller on my 6.2L along with a resistor to increase the glow times (for use with the AC 60G glow plugs) and all has been great. In warmer weather when it's over 95 degrees outside or so, sometimes the glow plugs do not cycle for a warm restart and that sometimes causes harder starts. Anyone have an idea why the plugs might not be cycling in hot weather? I'm not running one of those inhibit switches that prevent the glow plugs from cycling when the coolant temp is over 125. Could it be a failing controller?

'83 K2500 6.2L
Bob Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 10:49 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: 6.2L Glow Controller Issue

Sure could be the controller, a loose wire somewhere. Controller manages the ground in the system, meaning that when you turn on the ignition that little brown/white wire that goes to the relay is excited. The controller measures engine temp and times the amount of duration that the relay stays on. Does that make sense? anyways a fool proof way is to run the black wire on the relay to a push button that is connected to ground on the other side and go that way. Just hold the button down when needed---but not more than 5-6 seconds at a time when cold
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:41 PM   #3
Bob Q

Re: 6.2L Glow Controller Issue

Thanks for the information. I know some 6.2Ls don't need the glow plugs to start when it's warm/hot, but some do, and, unfortunately, mine is one of those. Maybe I'll look into the momentary button. I had thought going to the '85-newer setup would be the final glow plug modification I'd need to do.

'83 K2500 6.2L
Bob Q is offline   Reply With Quote