The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2022, 11:04 PM   #1
62c30

Idea for a 56..

I'm probably going to end up with a 1956 3/4 ton big window that is complete and hopefully will run. If it runs and I can get it driving easy and cheap I'll probably run it for awhile like that but if I can't I have a 4.8 and 4l60e that is in a running and driving 2000 half ton. Question is since I haven't messed with a 55-59 nor have I seen this truck in person I was wondering if it's reasonably possible to maybe use the whole frame and suspension from the 2000. I know anything is possible and I doubt anyone on here has tried it but I'm just thinking out loud. I have a 52 that is an A frame style and I assume the 56 is similar. The 2000 has a ladder frame and with the steps on the 56 that might be a problem. Again I haven't seen this truck in person and hopefully it runs as is and if I did this swap it's probably several years away. Just asking for thoughts on it. Thanks
62c30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:40 AM   #2
dsraven

Re: Idea for a 56..

I think you will find the newer truck frame will be too wide for the 56 as well as the track width-the width between the wheels. I have a 57 sitting on an 04 GMC Envoy and that is probably going to need some front fender mods for the wheels to fit under eventually. the 1/2 ton is wider than the envoy.
try the gmupfitter site to see if they still have the frame dimensions etc for the 2000

https://www.gmupfitter.com/body-builder-manuals/
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:50 AM   #3
62c30

I figured there might be a width issue. I guess I'll just have to measure once I get it and go from there. I know where a few short bed half ton frames are so maybe I'll just take the 4.8 out and use it.
Old 08-18-2022, 12:43 PM   #4
Hcb3200

i have a 56 and in my research determined anything modern and trying to do a whole frame swap was going to be a PITA to do cheap. Money no option sure with lots of custom fab work. There is a kit you can use to put on a 80's s10 frame but you still have some work and those truck are getting old.

So we kept original frame. There are so many options for front end from clips from old stuff to modern semi bolt on's. For the rear the colorado rear end works off of specific models. That what we used when be cracked the original axel.

After the original motor had issues we dropped in a LS and trans and it fits without any major frame or firewall modifications in the 56. Just engine mounts and new trans mount and it was off and running.

Front disk conversions are easy to.

Our goal was to keep it a daily driver during updates / add on's with no downtime longer than 90 days. Its been that way for 6 years now.

Last edited by Hcb3200; 08-18-2022 at 12:45 PM. Reason: more info.
Hcb3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 01:38 PM   #5
62c30

I really hope I can get it going as is and just drive it for awhile. I have too many other projects draining time and money right now. I have had several inline 6 trucks and always have said I'll put a V8 in them when the 6 goes out, so far I've never done a V8 swap on one.

I think my eventual plan would be get a short bed frame and do a mustang 2 or Corvette front end and maybe a 4 link then swap the body.
Old 08-18-2022, 09:26 PM   #6
NWA58

I think you answered your own question… what you really want is a short bed, V8 and IFS. Keep your eyes open for a cheap frame, rolling chassis or complete truck that you can mix with the good stuff on your 3/4 long bed. Other than bed sides and steps, most of the parts are interchangeable. Maybe you can find a rusty roller and use your cab and more. Good luck!
NWA58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 05:43 PM   #7
dsraven

what will your final dream truck look like? short bed? v8 auto with overdrive and fuel injection? indepedndent front suspension? disc brakes all around? clean firewall or no problem putting a brake booster under the hood?
if you want to drive the truck while you get a chassis ready you could look for a 55-57 chassis (58 and 59 are a little longer out front but they would also work with small mod, namely move the rad support brackets back and lop off a couple inches of the frame) and get it ready and when done do a body swap. if you enjoy simply driving a cool old truck and don't want to keep going to the dentist due to the ride maybe look into a bolt on IFS up front and a little better rear axle ratio out back. nothing wrong with leaf springs but maybe a few less leafs would give a smoother ride. if you do that you will also need to know if the truck will be lowered at all. the way the front fender wheel opening is shaped the wheel will look like it is in the wriong place if the truck is lowered and the front axle center line is not moved a bit. the more body drop tghe more pronounced it gets.
out back a lot of guys are using a ford explorer 8.8" rear axle. they come with beefy axles, posi, rear disc brakes and a better gear ratio than the stock old truck. there are gear ratio calculators online to help you figure out stuff like that but you will need to know the tire diameter and trans final drive ratio. the park brake is also easily made to work. it will have the wrong wheel bolt pattern but that is easily overcome by drilling the new 5 bolt pattern (assuming thats what you would go with) between the ford pattern and then installing new studs to match the front axle IFS. the 8.8 explorer axle has an offset center but some guys cut the long side to be the same as the short side and then use 2 short side axles. the ranger station has a write up on the whole deal. 8.8 is also available in a mid '90's mustang without the offset, just harder to source
for an engine a lot of guys are using a LS engine and trans but I would recommend to buy a donor vehicle so you get all the stuff you need and then sell off the shell. a truck engine will have an oil pan that is too deep unless the engine sits very high in the frame but lots of guys buy the camaro pan, baffle, dipstick and oil pump pick up tube. the truck intake is also taller than the car models but not usually a problem.
a great source for parts while doing a chassis is welders series, out of Canada so the exchange rate is good against the USD.
a lot of what you will do depends on the space available to work in and also the tools available. skill set is also a big deal if you are on a budget.
anyway, it is best to figure out what you want in the end and then do any work so that you don't waste time and money getting to the end. if doing repairs to the existing chassis so it is driveable, but the end wish is to replace the chassis, then do the repairs as cheap as you can. not much call for a stock frame these days, unless you are looking for one. lol.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:22 PM   #8
62c30

I really don't need another project right now but always wanted one of these trucks. Hopefully I can get it on the road cheap and easy as is, my 61 is taking most of my time and money. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if I end up with it. If I do I'll post some pictures.
Old 08-20-2022, 02:57 AM   #9
joedoh

i think i saw this truck on marketplace, is it the one in a big lot of trucks and parts? because I need some doors and he was NOT separating anything.

if you need any help I am just up the road.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 09:24 AM   #10
62c30

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
i think i saw this truck on marketplace, is it the one in a big lot of trucks and parts? because I need some doors and he was NOT separating anything.

if you need any help I am just up the road.
Nope. A friend of mine in Missouri has it. Although I do know where there are two stash's of parts both here and in Missouri....