The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2022, 03:07 PM   #1
popeyestruck

Cab Dolly measurements

Getting ready to pull the cab on my 59 and need to build a dolly. Anyone have the dimensions for a dolly? I'm got some extra 2x4's laying around I'll use
popeyestruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:18 PM   #2
bowt1ed

Re: Cab Dolly measurements

I'll try to get you my dimensions tomorrow. Made mine from some culled 4x4, 4x6 that HD was selling cheap, then got some decent weight dolly wheels from TSC. Recommendation - stick another 2x4 block between bottom and whatever wheels you're using, enough to get it high enough to get your engine hoist legs to get under dolly, if using one.
Cheers, Jim
bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:55 PM   #3
mr48chev

Get big enough casters so you can roll it around easily too. There will come time when you want to push it out of the garage even if it is only to clean up the garage or may need to push it out for another reason.

I made mine out of the middle section of a frame I had that was damaged in front and rotted in the back. It's too low and the wheels I put on it don't work good so I am going to flip it over and weld some legs on it to get it up high enough to comfortably roll under it with a creeper.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 07:28 AM   #4
bowt1ed

Here's what I came up with back when I started. Perhaps a bit overkill, but has worked out well with the exception of engine hoist leg clearance under the sides. I planned on blocking it up, but never did. I will get you those measurements layer today, but just need to be a little longer than 4 cab mounting holes. Jim
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2022, 09:50 AM   #5
popeyestruck

Very nice. Looks like it will hold a tank.
Old 08-24-2022, 03:13 PM   #6
51 3600

Dolly I made for '51 out of 4x4s, 2x6s (overkill) and 2x4s with 5" casters. Casters are 2 straight and 2 swivel but I would make them all swivel if I did it again. Don't have dimensions as friend is using it so can't go out and measure it. Made it high enough so I could work on cab comfortably and open around the bottom of legs so I could easily get under cab for work. Just dimension it so you can do what you want to do. Screw eyes at base of legs to strap cab to the dolly.

Name:  Cab dolly.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  89.9 KB

Name:  3600 132.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  88.2 KB

Name:  3600 131.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  62.7 KB

'51 3600, LS5.3, 4L60e, Danforth cross., Blazer front susp., Borg Warner 9 bolt 3.27 GR, Wrangler leafs
51 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 05:47 PM   #7
bowt1ed

Here's the measurements I came up with on mine (refer to my pic): front 52" wide, rear 45"wide, at least 47" long. This should give plenty of area to pre-drill for cab bolts. I just use lag bolts to bolt mine down when on dolly. Again, mine is a bit overkill, but I got that culled lumber at the time cheaper than new 2x's.

Cheers, Jim
Old 08-25-2022, 02:38 AM   #8
popeyestruck

Thank you
Old 08-26-2022, 02:22 PM   #9
R&B51

Mine is for 51 so can’t speak to dimensions but glad I made mine long enough to rock cab forward onto lower firewall and stays there but I brace it anyway to work on bottom of cab. Mine will also tilt up backwards on the dolly (I added 1x1 tube under cab across for extra support) but needs sure support in rear tilt direction. Dolly is flat on top and ditto make sure your hoist slides under bottom rails if using hoist and wood frame inside top of cab to move it.
Posted via Mobile Device
R&B51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 02:33 PM   #10
R&B51

Pic
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

R&B51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 11:36 AM   #11
dsraven

depending on what work you need to do on the cab, sometimes it is good to be able to stand on the dolly so you can reach the roof etc. if you need to do rockers and cab mounts you may need it narrow enough to be able to work on the back side where the brace is welded on. I really suggest you brace the cab in an X pattern before you remove it from the frame but after you have the doors fitting the opening. that way it can't tweak on you when it is moved. no surprises after doing work on the cab and finding out the doors wont fit.
what kind of work do you need to do, sheet metal wise?
I have an old hospital bed with the bed part removed and a 2x4 frame installed on the hydraulic rams that normally hold the bedpart, then an old steel door screwed down to that. it has pedals to pump it up or let it down plus an electric pump that can be used. I have used it for cabs, boxes, storage, unloading stuff from my truck that is too heavy for a single guy etc. it was super cheap at a gov't auction and has big easily rolled casters that lock so it moves with all 4 turning or just one end that turns. the wife even uses it for big sewing jobs (when she has her shop pass, lol).
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 11:38 AM   #12
dsraven

will you be picking the cab up off the frame with an engine lift? if so, there is an easily built wooden frame that really makes it easy for a single guy to move the cab safely. I don't have a pic on this computer or I would post one for you to see.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:48 AM   #13
dsraven

here is a link with some cab lifter devices. 1ton of fun has a design like the one I built. I suggest to lift it under the door openings this way because if you use a strap it stresses the cab in a pinching way that tends to want to make the cab narrower between the doors.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=346948
Old 08-28-2022, 11:50 AM   #14
dsraven

and of course, have the doors off or open so you don't bend the doors.
Old 08-28-2022, 12:08 PM   #15
popeyestruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
will you be picking the cab up off the frame with an engine lift? if so, there is an easily built wooden frame that really makes it easy for a single guy to move the cab safely. I don't have a pic on this computer or I would post one for you to see.
Thanks for the reply. I plan on either using my engine hoist or have 3 friends help to lift it. Went and got my castors this morning so I'll probably build the dolly tomorrow
Old 08-28-2022, 01:21 PM   #16
bowt1ed

Easy day.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2022, 02:14 PM   #17
Getter-Done

Here are some ideas for a tip and flip dolly in the link below

Link: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ight=cab+dolly
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 11:22 PM   #18
dsraven

when taking the body off a gmc envoy frame a couple years ago I was short on help so I jacked it up high enough for the wheels to clear the rockers, blocked it, then built a wide sawhorse under it behind the front wheels. the rear was suspended by my engine lift. then I just rolled the frame and driveline out from under it.
the engine lift thing works really well for the cab, and nobody gets a chipped nail. lol.
Old 09-01-2022, 03:08 AM   #19
mr48chev

There is no such thing as overkill on a cab stand unless you just flat spend excess money and make it way too elaborate to boot.

meaning that a tube frame stand that was powder coated and had 100 buck each caster would be a bit of an overkill. A stack of lumber from Lowes or Home Depot, and a set of casters from HF or the surplus store is every bit as good as my cut down frame out of the worlds most rusted out suburban.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:23 AM   #20
bowt1ed

Especially when it is damaged and marked 70% off! 😉