The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2022, 07:11 PM   #1
51 3600

Mounting R&P

I received my new Tbird R&P, ready to get into mounting it when I discovered a little glitch so here I am again with a question.

I expected the mounting points on the rack to look like this on front and back.
Name:  R & P 012.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  58.1 KB

Plan was to mount rack to the truck using a Welder Series bracket just like in this pic.
Name:  R & P 013.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  35.5 KB

But the back side of the rack doesn't look like the front.
Name:  R & P 010.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  76.5 KB

The rubber part of the bushing sticks out about 5/8" and the metal part inside the rubber sticks out 5/16". I need suggestions on how to handle this. Cut them both back flush to the rack? Cut the rubber back to the metal? Cut the rubber back to the metal and make a spacer to go over that?
I haven't had any success finding out how the rack mounts in its original use, an '85 Tbird.

'51 3600, LS5.3, 4L60e, Danforth cross., Blazer front susp., Borg Warner 9 bolt 3.27 GR, Wrangler leafs
51 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:32 AM   #2
dsraven

Re: Mounting R&P

I had a T bird rack on a MII I installed a few years back. the mounts didn't look like that but rather were flush on the front and rear sides.
here is a link to summit's site with a few options. I wonder if yours was a one-off year or something. you could swap them out to the more standard ones if you desire, it adds to the price of the rack but that way you get the ones you want/need. note that some will offset the rack to be higher or lower than the stock location.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...el/thunderbird
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote