The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2022, 01:38 AM   #1
Awann99

Dealer added spotlight wiring.

The new truck a picked up has two original dealer added spotlights. They were unhooked and I attached the drivers side to the circled plug only for it to blow out the 15 amp fuse under it. Where were these originally connected? I need two plugs. One for each light. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Awann99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 11:40 AM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Dealer added spotlight wiring.

I don't know the answer but, I do know that's one cool truck!
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 09:26 PM   #3
Awann99

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I don't know the answer but, I do know that's one cool truck!
Thank you. It’s a beast!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-13-2022, 12:46 AM   #4
sloGMC

15A seems like quite a lot for a spot light, considering that headlights only use about 3 amps each. I would check out the wiring to your spot lights for a ground/short somewhere. I don't know where they would be originally wired in but I think those male spade connectors were often used for dealer accessories.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:28 AM   #5
Awann99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloGMC View Post
15A seems like quite a lot for a spot light, considering that headlights only use about 3 amps each. I would check out the wiring to your spot lights for a ground/short somewhere. I don't know where they would be originally wired in but I think those male spade connectors were often used for dealer accessories.
I’ll give that a check. It must have a short inside of it. I assume it grounds to the cab where it mounts like the add on cab lights. It only has one wire coming out of the back of it with a male spade connector.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-13-2022, 11:47 AM   #6
Beach-Burban

Darn...I really wanted to help! My '72 Suburban has dealer installed dual spotlights as well, but my original fuse block is a mess! Both spotlights works, and my fuse block also has two male spade slots right above the spotlight fuse you used...except my 15A fuse is missing from it's holder??? The top male spade slot (fuel ga) has a "one wire" connector in it (the one under it does not) with the same size and color (off white) as the wires running to the spotlights...but that single wire gets lost in a bundle that appears to go to a multi wire connector that goes to another multi wire connector that gets lost again by going behind the fuse block??? Like I said, a mess, but everything works? Rewiring is on my list, so one day I might understand what/why the original owner did what he did...but for now I would guess that something with the spotlights shorted out and his fix was to remove the fuse and find power from somewhere behind the fuse block? Maybe your "previous owner" had a similar issue and that's why the fuse blows??? I don't believe I helped you much, but YOU helped me realize that I need to put rewiring to the top of my list...while everything is still working!

Woody

Last edited by Beach-Burban; 11-13-2022 at 11:59 AM.
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote