The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2022, 09:11 AM   #1
twoskies

Radiator

My aftermarket aluminum radiator started started leaking,
ive still got the original copper and brass radiator
have a local Radiator shop says he can rebuild my original for around $400
make it 3 core, also says it would last longer than aluminum
i know aluminum disperses heat better

Anyone rebuild their radiator, any problems

kinda like the idea of stock looking radiator
motor just rebuilt, gotta keep it happy

thanks for any advice
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2022, 09:20 AM   #2
Joyridin

Re: Radiator

Actually, that is not true. The original copper and brass radiator disperses heat better from a material standpoint. The actual design of the aluminum radiator may help it disperse heat better, but aluminum does not transfer heat as well as copper.

From a weight standpoint, the aluminum is obviously way better. If the prices are the same, and you are not concerned about the added weight, go with copper and brass.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:17 AM   #3
Sheepdip

I don't know about Indiana but here in Kalifornia the EPA has outlawed the acid tanks that was the standard to clean, repair/rebuild an old copper radiator.

The last one I had done was for my forklift probably 6-8 years ago, the radiator shop informed me that a pressure flush was the best they could do for internal cleaning/removal of the scale buildup. It worked fine for a forklift, I know I would not have done it if it was for my truck.

I've been running aluminum radiators for years now and never a problem, currently in three vehicles and one is 20+ years old. Just saying that I've had pretty good luck with them.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:48 AM   #4
72SB

IMHO Aluminim lasts just fine in the 20+ years I have had them...of course like any radiator, build quality is important so get a USA made one

For better cooling its not the amount of rows...its the size of core tube. a 2 core with 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" tubes will do better than a 3 or four core with smaller core tubes
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:33 AM   #5
dagnabbitt

Guess I am in the minority here, but I would jump at that offer while it is still an option. I had it done - exactly the same, converted to three core with restrictors - and could not be happier.

Comparisons between materials are interesting but moot in most applications, unless you live on the surface of the sun or are running some kind of crazy engine, which it looks like you are not.

If you are already using an aftermarket radiator then you or a PO has solved fitment issues but the fact that the original fits like a glove would be reason enough for me alone to stick with stock.

Also, that is a pretty good price for rebuild nowadays.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 12:55 PM   #6
jimijam00

I'd go with the aftermarket alum rad, two big row version for much better performance. It's not like that engine bay looks right off the assembly line anyway.

Last edited by jimijam00; 11-12-2022 at 01:17 PM.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 02:08 PM   #7
mr.mud1

i do my own rads here,the old fashioned way,copper and brass.there's 3 vehicles here with my rads,a 39 chrysler,a 67 impala wagon and my big block 72 truck.i'm sure the aluminum rads work and as mentioned people with them are happy.for me though,as long as i can still buy cores,i do my own,old school.here's a few pictures of the 3 core i did a year ago for my truck.
Attached Images

mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 02:44 PM   #8
jabborabbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyridin View Post
Actually, that is not true. The original copper and brass radiator disperses heat better from a material standpoint. The actual design of the aluminum radiator may help it disperse heat better, but aluminum does not transfer heat as well as copper.

From a weight standpoint, the aluminum is obviously way better. If the prices are the same, and you are not concerned about the added weight, go with copper and brass.
That’s correct…would one rather have copper or aluminum wiring in one’s house? Resistivity and heat conduction are related…and as you point out radiator design is important.
Old 11-12-2022, 03:02 PM   #9
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

You just use bigger wire if it's aluminum. The real problem is the mismatched thermal expansion coefficient vs copper. Eventually the aluminum crushes under thermal cycling and the joint gets loose. High resistance, then a fire. When we bought this place (made in '68) I knew it had aluminum wiring. We were told that pigtails had been installed, but I'm that guy who takes off a switch plate cover and checks. No copper pigtails! We informed the realtor, who of checked for himself, saying the the owners told him that it had them. They were lied to. When the electricians came in to do the work, some scorched outlets and switches were discovered. It was only a matter of time...

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:13 PM   #10
twoskies

Hey
Appreciate all the ideas
just thinking rebuild verse new, if i buy new, kinda leaning toward the Champion line, but as said price verses rebuild is pretty close minus shipping
on the motor , it is pretty much stock, probably right under 300 hp
so either should be good
also kinda like the id tag on the original radiator

Thanks for all the ideas
Old 11-12-2022, 08:35 PM   #11
52napco

Champion is China...use a DeWitts
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:37 PM   #12
Eddie70

I have DeWitts in my 70 Corvette and it has been great for over 15 years now. It could die the next trip out but it has been great.
Eddie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 02:07 AM   #13
hjewell2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyridin View Post

1000% correct
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 07:58 PM   #14
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I am instaling a rebuilt engine in my truck and wasn't sure whether to get an aluminm one or get my original 3 row, truck has factory A/C, rad rebuilt. As tuned out my rad was a 3 row but had the 4 row tanks on it so had it rebuilt into a 4 row. Wasn't cheap but want to retain original look of the truck as much as possible.Although it wasnt leaking I also had the heater core rebuilt with a new core.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote