The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2022, 11:49 AM   #1
Christianad1156

1969 Chevy K20 column shifter issue

All,

I've been lurking and learning from you all for a little while now but I could use some extra help today.

I have a 1969 Chevy with an auto trans and tilt column. Yesterday, I tried to shift out of P but it seemed a little tough. When I moved from P to R, it was like the entire shifter and collar rotated more than it was supposed to past the normal R location but it shifted into gear. I went through N to D and they were both far more clockwise than they should be. I'm essentially out of room to go to lower gears if I wanted to. When I shifted back to P, the spot it settled on was too far clockwise. However, when going to P in the "new" location, I can rotate the shifter and collar counter-clockwise, without pulling the shifter toward me, to put the indicator where it should be. When I go back to shift to drive, it re-rotates too far and is out of position.

Does anybody have any ideas on what I should do to determine what the root issue is? Fingers crossed for needing to tighten something but I'm not usually that lucky.

I checked the mechanical linkage from under the engine to the trans and it all looks fine. The gears seem to shift fine its just the location and movement in the collar and shifter that is the problem.

That same day, when driving, I started getting a chirping from under the hood. It might be a belt rubbing somewhere but it was odd and happened at about the same time. I don't see how it could be related but I thought I'd mention it.

Thanks in advance for any help and ideas.

Christian
Christianad1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 12:35 PM   #2
52napco

Re: 1969 Chevy K20 column shifter issue

Is it a GM column or an aftermarket..tilt not available in 69
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 07:11 PM   #3
Christianad1156

I thought it was the original shifter and column. It looks similar to ones I've seen in photos but I'm still learning about the truck. I bought it a few years ago. The transmission was replaced (700R4) and the guy I bought it from said that the indicator didn't match up perfectly. Which it did not but it was really close and tight until yesterday.

I attached some pictures of the column.

Christian
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2022, 09:05 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christianad1156 View Post
I thought it was the original shifter and column. It looks similar to ones I've seen in photos but I'm still learning about the truck. I bought it a few years ago. The transmission was replaced (700R4) and the guy I bought it from said that the indicator didn't match up perfectly. Which it did not but it was really close and tight until yesterday.

I attached some pictures of the column.

Christian

I can't see the top of the lever but it looks like you need to tap the lever retaining pin back down into the lever....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 09:33 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

The roll pin on my shift lever kept dropping out the bottom, making it hard to get into park. I used blue Loc-Tite on it; we'll see how that works. Coming out the top would be a possibility, though. I can't really see the roll pin in the pic from the bottom.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:46 AM   #6
Christianad1156

That pin was very much working itself up and out. I'll finish securing it in the morning. Do you think that could be the source of my issues?

How much should the two parts I highlighted in the attached photo move on the column. I can rotate them both a little with my hands. I know that is not very descriptive but are supposed to be solid tight if the gear lever is not engaged?
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2022, 10:13 AM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
That pin was very much working itself up and out. I'll finish securing it in the morning. Do you think that could be the source of my issues?

How much should the two parts I highlighted in the attached photo move on the column. I can rotate them both a little with my hands. I know that is not very descriptive but are supposed to be solid tight if the gear lever is not engaged?

Could be. You will just have to try it. That could let the shift lever move around more than it should.

They will move a little. Of course the shift collar moves a lot when you shift gears but I presume you mean when it is in park.

LockDoc

-
Old 08-21-2022, 11:40 AM   #8
Don D

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Could be. You will just have to try it. That could let the shift lever move around more than it should.

They will move a little. Of course the shift collar moves a lot when you shift gears but I presume you mean when it is in park.

LockDoc
Number 1 in your picture should not move at all. Take you shift lever out & make sure the end looks like where my finger is pointing. Those shift levers wear & break off like the other shift lever in the picture.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Don D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 09:01 PM   #9
Christianad1156

Thanks for the advice so far. I need to get in to check the shifter still. I got the COVID this past week so I've been out of the garage more than I'd like. I'll update with what I find.

Christian
Old 11-18-2022, 03:00 PM   #10
Christianad1156

Sorry to leave this so long without a reply.

Turns out there was a catastrophic shift linkage issue that I didn't see/notice until it basically all came apart (thankfully in my driveway!). I installed a new linkage kit and its working like it did previously.

However, I still have the pin issue that was pointed out. Is that pin just supposed to push in and stay there with pressure/friction?

If so I'm guessing they wear down over time and start working themselves out.

Does anybody recommend a good source for a new one?

Christian
Old 11-18-2022, 05:59 PM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Sorry to leave this so long without a reply.

Turns out there was a catastrophic shift linkage issue that I didn't see/notice until it basically all came apart (thankfully in my driveway!). I installed a new linkage kit and its working like it did previously.

However, I still have the pin issue that was pointed out. Is that pin just supposed to push in and stay there with pressure/friction?

If so I'm guessing they wear down over time and start working themselves out.

Does anybody recommend a good source for a new one?

Christian

Just take a small center punch and lightly punch a couple of spots on the outside of the pin and see what that does. It shouldn't take much to hold it in....

LockDoc

-
Old 11-18-2022, 06:17 PM   #12
70shortfleet

The column is definitely an aftermarket column.
70shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 01:41 AM   #13
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

If your truck is a 69 K/20 it never came from the factory with an automatic transmission. Somebody either converted it from a manual to an automatic or maybe its been body swapped.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:45 PM   #14
Christianad1156

Thanks Lock Doc. And yes, its definitely an aftermarket column. It still needs a new pin though. I got one from Classic Heartbeat. Its a little bit longer than what I have now but I'll see how it fits soon.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:52 PM   #15
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Thanks Lock Doc. And yes, its definitely an aftermarket column. It still needs a new pin though. I got one from Classic Heartbeat. Its a little bit longer than what I have now but I'll see how it fits soon.

No problem. I hope that works for you. If not you might be able to find a roll pin at your local hardware store that would be a little bigger.

LockDoc

-