The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2023, 04:57 PM   #1
'64C20

64 C20 with 73-87 Front end Swap Question

So I swapped a 73-87 C10 front end under my C20. I initially did this because I thought it would be cheaper than buying the 8-lug disc brake kit.

Anyways, now that everything is in, the trans mount for the SM420 bell housing is off by maybe an inch or so. I utilized the clamshells instead of the pedestals due to the fact that I want to swap a big block into it in the future.

Has anyone run into this? Idea was to use an adjustable trans mount and make a plate for the back of the trans.

Last edited by '64C20; 01-02-2023 at 05:58 PM.
'64C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 03:25 PM   #2
scottofksu

Re: 64 C20 with 73-87 Front end Swap Question

I think most folks go to an adjustable transmission cross member similar to what is used in newer RWD vehicles (i.e., one that mounts to a bushing near the tail shaft of the transmission). I personally went this route, not because I swapped front ends, but because I couldn't find a bell housing for the T56 I purchased for my truck that would utilize the factory transmission mounts. The one problem you may run into is that using such a cross member for the transmission usually requires you to reconfigure your parking brake setup since they both go in the same area. I have seen a posting in the FAQ about how folks have modified the parking brake cross member to attach to a transmission rear support cross member.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:37 PM   #3
'64C20

Re: 64 C20 with 73-87 Front end Swap Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottofksu View Post
I think most folks go to an adjustable transmission cross member similar to what is used in newer RWD vehicles (i.e., one that mounts to a bushing near the tail shaft of the transmission). I personally went this route, not because I swapped front ends, but because I couldn't find a bell housing for the T56 I purchased for my truck that would utilize the factory transmission mounts. The one problem you may run into is that using such a cross member for the transmission usually requires you to reconfigure your parking brake setup since they both go in the same area. I have seen a posting in the FAQ about how folks have modified the parking brake cross member to attach to a transmission rear support cross member.
Thanks for the response! After I posted this the wheels started to turn and I ordered an adjustable mount.
'64C20 is offline   Reply With Quote