The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2023, 06:29 PM   #1
truckin 79

Mounting tire on rim at home

Anyone have any tips or tricks to mounting a tire to a loose rim? I recently put new tires on my truck but kept one old tire to use as a spare. The spare I have now is a bald donut not worthy of being called a tire. I finally found a 15x8 wagon wheel for my spare. Well two places I took the rim and tire to said they can not mount because tire is 22 years old. FYI this tire does not look like a 22 year old tire, plenty of tread and and not dry rotted. I knew the old tires were old but not that old, would still make a good emergency spare. Anyway I tried soapy water and pry bar but did not make a lot head way mounting tire on rim.
Old 01-04-2023, 06:41 PM   #2
kipps

Re: Mounting tire on rim at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckin 79 View Post
Anyone have any tips or tricks to mounting a tire to a loose rim? I recently put new tires on my truck but kept one old tire to use as a spare. The spare I have now is a bald donut not worthy of being called a tire. I finally found a 15x8 wagon wheel for my spare. Well two places I took the rim and tire to said they can not mount because tire is 22 years old. FYI this tire does not look like a 22 year old tire, plenty of tread and and not dry rotted. I knew the old tires were old but not that old, would still make a good emergency spare. Anyway I tried soapy water and pry bar but did not make a lot head way mounting tire on rim.
I do it frequently, but I do have the right tire irons to do it with. I've got two Ken-tool irons and a sledgehammer, and I've learned the tricks to doing so. Inflating the tire requires either a bead-blaster, or a can of starting fluid and a clip-on tire chuck.
Attached Images

1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 07:14 PM   #3
HOGDADDY

I have never tried this but lots video's.

HOGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 07:38 PM   #4
Dead Parrot

A rural tire shop may do it. Lots of farm equipment is moving on decades old tires.

Or try tire shop #3 and tell them you need it for a roll around tire for a project truck.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:11 AM   #5
blazer2007

Make sure the tire is warm, makes it alot easier. I did some new tires for my truck and was was quite pleased with myself , and then I noticed they were directional, argh. Had to change one tire.

Last edited by blazer2007; 01-05-2023 at 10:47 AM.
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 07:00 PM   #6
72c20customcamper

I do it like this . But I have to say it takes me a lot less time . I also use a flooring mallet.
https://youtu.be/wP1su9riLkc

Mallet is this one more beef behind it than just a rubber one
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 08:02 PM   #7
pound41

if the tire won't seat Take a ratchet strap around the middle of the tire. Tighten it up to pouch out both beads to the rim
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:44 PM   #8
chevmn

One of the best investments I have made is a manual tire changer from HF (see link). I have had to make a couple repairs or improvements to it, but where I live, I would spend a fortune on changing or repair to tires, not to mention the issue you are seeing with a shop refusing to mount. I run old tires all the time on farm trailers and tractors. I also purchased a bubble balancer from HF and with a few exceptions, I can usually avoid the tire shops by buying tires online, and doing my own mount and balancing, and have found the high dollar spin balance job is not really any better than bubble balancer (for most common tires/rims.

https://www.harborfreight.com/manual...ger-69686.html
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 11:06 PM   #9
Just call me Sean

I have that Harbor Freight tire changer. I only use it to break beads as it's easier for me to mount and dismount the tires with screwdrivers. I also had to strengthen it.
Attached Images

Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 09:47 AM   #10
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevmn View Post
One of the best investments I have made is a manual tire changer from HF (see link). I have had to make a couple repairs or improvements to it, but where I live, I would spend a fortune on changing or repair to tires, not to mention the issue you are seeing with a shop refusing to mount. I run old tires all the time on farm trailers and tractors. I also purchased a bubble balancer from HF and with a few exceptions, I can usually avoid the tire shops by buying tires online, and doing my own mount and balancing, and have found the high dollar spin balance job is not really any better than bubble balancer (for most common tires/rims.

https://www.harborfreight.com/manual...ger-69686.html
This is what I have. I do a lot of drag slicks and drag radial swaps at home.

I have mine mounted on a wooden plank. When I need to use it I drag it out and place ballast (ie, diesel pickup) on the plank and work it. When I'm done I stick it back in the corner.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 05:47 PM   #11
truckin 79

Maybe I will wait till it warms up and give it another try. I tried changing when it was 10 degrees out. I couldnt even get the bead over it. It looks like knees are the key in keeping tire in place. Thanks for all the help I feel confident in getting this done at home. While we are at it any tricks on changing out valve stem or should I even worry about that?
Old 01-06-2023, 06:09 PM   #12
jjzepplin

I use tire irons from Harbor freight. Takes a few minutes to get used to but you can do it. Maybe 5 bucks each and you can use them forever. I also use the ratchet strap in the middle of the tire. If it is close you can use an air gun or similar to shoot air from the side. Also take the valve core out for more air flow. A clip on air chuck helps so you can wiggle the tire back and forth and shoot air from the side etc. I haven't paid to mount a tire since 2000 when I was on the road and di not have my tools.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote