The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2023, 09:34 PM   #1
tucsonjwt

Spare Tire Carrrier Bolt Removal

Does anyone know how to remove the spare tire carrier bolt? I am getting ready to install a new hitch and need to remove the bolt. It looks like the only way is to pull it up and forward, but the bolt seems to be about 1" tool long. This is the long bolt on the passenger side where you turn the large nut to lower the tire, not the pivot bolt on the driver's side. See pic
Attached Images

tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 08:10 AM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: Spare Tire Carrrier Bolt Removal

It was probably dropped in the frame before the bed went on in the assembly process.

You could bend it and then straighten it when you get it back out.

If you thread several nuts on the threaded end to keep from damaging the threads.

Then place a short piece of pipe on the top end.

Use a long piece of pipe on the bottom end for a controlled bend.

Then take the nuts back off.

It won't take much of a bend to get it out.

Hope this helps.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:10 AM   #3
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
It was probably dropped in the frame before the bed went on in the assembly process.
It was. All of the spare tire bracketry was installed on the chassis line and left loose until after body drop. The next operation after the cab bolts were tightened was where the guy would tighten all the pickup box bolts, hang the spare and tighten the carrier.

You could cut the bolt and replace it with one a tad shorter, or with "all thread" threaded rod (if you are not concerned about authenticity).

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:43 AM   #4
Killer Bee

if you're going to cut and replace, maybe just cut a couple threads off for removal clearance and keep original bolt..

I wouldn't bend it if planning to keep or reuse, tricky getting an old bolt perfectly straight again and threads never seem to be right afterwards..

are bed mounts sound enough to loosen one or two up without breaking? Doesn't look like you need a whole lot more room..

good luck!
Old 01-14-2023, 12:40 PM   #5
kwmech

Mine wiggled around and I got it to come out without bending it. It was tight, but it came out. Knock the square washer loose and try again
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 01:19 PM   #6
tucsonjwt

Thanks for all of the input. I was thinking along the lines you guys are suggesting. I have a dump hoist with scissor arms welded to the bed, so I can't unbolt the bed mounts and move the bed up.

Thanks for the assembly method confirmation, Keith. I was hoping you would post and let me know how it was installed at the factory. I guess I could use all thread with a double nut, lock washer and big fender washers on top. I am not a welder, so welding a piece of flat stock on the top like the stock bolt is not something that I can do.

When I looked at the installation video of the Class V hitch I want to install I saw that the bolt they were using had a significant bend, so am guessing that they bent the bolt to get it out. The kit for the B&W hitch they were using has an L bracket which they used on the outside of the passenger side frame rail to move the bolt out of the way since the hitch covers the standard bolt location. I already moved the location of the driver's side pivot bolt about 1" forward previously to accommodate the Class 3 hitch that was on the vehicle.

LMC wants $16.95 + $8 shipping for a replacement bolt, and I would still have to bend the new bolt to install it.

While we are on the topic of the spare tire carrier, what is the proper method of removing spare? I always loosen the big wing nut until I can slide the nut into the big bracket slot and support the spare tire and bracket with my left leg until I can grab the end of the bracket with both hands and drop the spare tire. There must be a less cave man style of removing the spare tire. I was thinking of carrying some blocks of 4x4s to support the spare tire and bracket instead of using my leg, then remove the blocks one at a time to progressively lower the spare.

I see that some guys are using a latter model winch type of spare tire carrier. That does involve some fabrication and modification to accommodate a square body truck. I would consider that if it wasn't a major project. I have read that the winch does get rusty over time and you might end up with a winch that won't lower. Even here in the southwest desert you can see from the condition of that bolt that rust does happen on underbody fasteners, although not to the extent that it does in the rust belt.

Here is a link to the installation video of the hitch I am planning on using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDObUPHVvvM&t=110s
Old 01-14-2023, 01:57 PM   #7
Getter-Done

They make a Glide out spare tire carrier.

I have wanted to make something like this for a while now.

You can buy them $$$

Here's one link on E bay.

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/26604889560...Bk9SR47F25a2YQ
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 02:20 PM   #8
tucsonjwt

The glide outs look pricey but sweet. I have never seen one installed, but I am thinking that it would interfere with a trailer hitch even more than the standard spare tire carrier.
Old 01-14-2023, 04:32 PM   #9
1976gmc20

Hmmm - I don't know except I've taken off several of those and got 'er done without any problems that I remember? My solution after a few flats was just carry the spare in the bed. I just looked at the bolt from the 76 and it's not bent so I got it out okay somehow.

One time I was up alone on a shelf road on the side of a mountain and had a flat. The factory option padlock was rusted shut so I had to use vicegrips and crescent wrench on the front (driver side) bolt. (so what good is the lock?) Anyway that contributed to a really fun day since the flat tire was sitting on the edge of a 1500' cliff. I guess the inside would have been even harder up against the cliff wall.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:28 PM   #10
Just call me Sean

I don't like messing around with an under the truck spare and I didn't want it in the bed either so I made this:
Attached Images

Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 04:16 PM   #11
1976gmc20

I sure loved my old 65 stepside. It had the cut out fender and the bracket on the driver side for the spare tire.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Old 01-17-2023, 03:27 PM   #12
Rich84

Those are cool. I wish I had one.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 01:31 PM   #13
1976gmc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich84 View Post
Those are cool. I wish I had one.
I was a damn fool for selling it. We had moved into town and I went back to school and I felt guilty for keeping up two vehicles when we could walk or bike most everywhere anyway.

It would have been great for starting out the girls to drive about ten years later.

Old 01-19-2023, 01:54 PM   #14
Killer Bee

so how did it go? get the old bolt out unharmed? cut or bend?

the suggestion to loosen square washer sounded good

crossing fingers for happy ending
Old 01-21-2023, 11:14 PM   #15
tucsonjwt

I was able to get it out with a lot of wiggling and tapping on the bottom of the bolt. The top did have to scrape along the bottom of the bed. The threads were a bit chewed up about 1.5” up from the bottom of the bolt - I think that was from where the bolt swung into the slot in the carrier bracket above the big wing nut. Loosening the square nut would not work because it is welded in place. I worked another nut all the way up and down the bolt with WD 40 to clear the damaged threads, since I did not have a die that size.
Posted via Mobile Device