The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2004, 09:56 AM   #1
70 net440

EFI who's got it?

Finally got the wife a car that isn't older than her, so it's time to go through our '63 C10. Want to replace the 283 3spd. with a bigger motor and 700R4. We want EFI. Has anyone used the GM Ram Jet? Edelbrock? Accel? Hilborn? Were they hard to wire up? What are the fuel pump and fuel tank requirments? Thanks in advance for any replies.
70 Dart Swinger
71 K10
70 net440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 10:20 AM   #2
Bowtie67

Fuel Injection is nice, I have several different setups from the early Holley Projection to the latest Holley StealthRam FI setup, the Stealthram is a little more for topend and looks sweet. I also ran the Holley MPFI setup on my previous engine, 350 with 9.8cr, custom crower roller cam with a 700R4 and 373 gears and got 22mpg. I ran this setup for 4 years and never had any issues. I actually liked the computer setup a little better than the Comander950 that came with the HSR, in my opinion a lot less intimidating and a lot less to modify. I still have both setups and am looking to sell them, at least the MPFI setup. I think I may keep the HSR for another engine buildup later but with a different set of heads that will work with it. My current heads I am using are raised runner heads and the HSR didnt fit them to well (constant oil & vacuum leaks).

In case anyone is interested the prices they are reasonable not free! I have had inquiries before on some items and some want this stuff for nothing, it wouldnt be so bad if I had purchased them for very reasonable prices but I would like to get some monies back out of them.
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

"I maybe getting old, but I can still burn rubber with the best of them"

Last edited by Bowtie67; 08-08-2004 at 10:23 AM.
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 12:59 PM   #3
gabet40

I had the accel calmap 6.0 mpfi for a year or so but the software was so outdated that i couldnt find any laptop with DOS and good ports, plus the nearest authorized accel tuning shop was 2 hours away. It ran good but not the way that it couldve if i had tuned it right.
so i sold the wire harness and ECU and purchased the latest Holley Commander 950 conversion kit and the instructions that came with it completely simplify the tuning part. This was just over a month ago so i havent finished putting the engine and all together yet.

back when i purchased the Accel unit, and i was up sit creek with tuning it, my biggest regret was purchasing that instead of the GM Ram Jet. it was the $5K of purchasing the Ram Jet that made me go with Accel, then i ended spending over $5K putting the Accel engine together. if i could go back i wouldve bought the already assembled, WARRANTIED engine, where all u really have to do is drop it in, give it power and fuel and ur off.

bowtie67- youve had experience with the Commander 950 mpfi. any tips, warnings, or other advise? im tryin to learn everything i can before loadin the fuel map and starting her up. thanx

Depending on what fuel system you go with (MPFI, TBI) it should come with an external fuel pump that you want to mount as close to the tank as possible, and below the fuel level if possible. this would be really easy with having the tank in the cab, but is a little tougher with the tank in the back

Former owner of:
69 1/2 ton, change from long/fleet to short/fleet, shaved door handles, shaved tailgate, 4/6 drop, power windows, 700r4
72 blazer, 350 with Holley Commander 950 DFI, crane energizer cam, 350 tranny, dual sanderson blockhuggers/magnaflow exhaust

Last edited by gabet40; 08-08-2004 at 01:05 PM.
gabet40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 01:06 PM   #4
NPilot1975

LT-1 or LS-1 is a fairly easy way to go. Get the Corvette version engine, the accessory drive will work with your truck. Use a Painless harness and you are set. LT-1 bolts in same as any small block prior to LS-1.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:47 PM   #5
Shane65

I run a Hilborn with an Accel 6.0 computer and harness. IMO nothing looks more hot rod then these set ups. Not a cheap route to go and conversion can be intimidating to some but you just don't see too many trying it. I've had mine up and running since 1999. I just picked up another laptop to replace the old one that my son knocked off the workbench. Set me back $30. At any cruise night or car show, I have a steady stream of people looking under the hood.
Shane65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 10:23 PM   #6
70 net440

Thanks for the replies guys. I think we are leaning towards the Ram Jet since we want a bigger motor anway. I think someone on the board built a custom tank that went in the bed right behind the cab. Do any of you Southern Oregon guys know if Highway Products might make something like that?
70 Dart Swinger
71 K10
70 net440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:48 AM   #7
1972C10
Account Suspended

If you can manage to find one pick up a wrecked camaro with an LT1 or a TPI setup

I know a boy that just got a wrecked 94 and pulled the setup out and put in a 92 ex cab it came out clean When goin that route its nice to get the entire car so you can get every little knick knack that might be needed.
1972C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 02:09 AM   #8
Russell
Professional Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972C10
When goin that route its nice to get the entire car so you can get every little knick knack that might be needed.
This is a very, very important port, lemme tell ya, going to TPI without a donor car will nickle and dime you to death...
Old 08-09-2004, 07:09 PM   #9
Bowtie67

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabet40
bowtie67- youve had experience with the Commander 950 mpfi. any tips, warnings, or other advise? im tryin to learn everything i can before loadin the fuel map and starting her up. thanx
The big things to watch for are really basic up front issues, probally the first 2 items in the list, if these 2 things arent met you'll fight with the system all the way.

1. Make sure your timing matches what it says in the ECM if using the GM Style Computer Controlled HEI.
2. The O2 Sensor should be in the exhaust manifold just before it goes into the collector, if it isnt and a little further you need to change your exhust voltage settings otherwise it will run extremely rich and foul plugs, once fouled they will basically be useless in trying to tune the system, maybe after it is all tuned you maybe able to put them back in and get them cleaned up to reuse.
3. Make sure you haveadequit Fuel pressure and that there is absolutely no kinks in the fuel line. Recomended fuel line is at least 3/8 and the return line at least 5/16 (I'd go with 3/8 bothways).
4. make sure all sensors work and have any recomended settings set.
5. make sure what ever map you use that you choose proper settings like Port Injection or TBI, Ignition - GM Hei and proper ignition reference, Crank Sensors etc. Open loop or closed loop, you'll be better off using closed loop.
6. Any adjustments to the fuel map should be looked at afterwards in the graph and smoothed out so there are no ridges or deep valleys.

Some of the later Comander 950's have been upgraded to what is called
Pro-Software, this allows for the use of a wide band controller for easier configuration of fuel mixtures.
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

Old 08-09-2004, 07:22 PM   #10
Bowtie67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
This is a very, very important port, lemme tell ya, going to TPI without a donor car will nickle and dime you to death...
Actually this isnt all that bad, TPI intake setups are pretty common (since they have been out since 84 in the Vettes and 85 in Camaro's and FireBird/TA's), all sensors can be had thru any good qaulity parts store like Napa, Brackets can be easily ordered and not really that expensive, There are a lot of sights dedicated to the TPI setup as well as books on GM Fuel Injection Swapping out. I dont remember which year they stopped using the EGR and the cold start injector but this would be the better one to get. Painless makes a complete wiring kit for an easier installation than trying to decipher just exactly what you need or have to have. There are several companies that offer reprograming and now there is a company that offers the ability to reprogram it yourself and monitor your readings. But certainly the cheapest way would be to find a complete car and get everything from it.
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

Old 08-09-2004, 07:57 PM   #11
Russell
Professional Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie67
Actually this isnt all that bad, TPI intake setups are pretty common (since they have been out since 84 in the Vettes and 85 in Camaro's and FireBird/TA's), all sensors can be had thru any good qaulity parts store like Napa, Brackets can be easily ordered and not really that expensive, There are a lot of sights dedicated to the TPI setup as well as books on GM Fuel Injection Swapping out. I dont remember which year they stopped using the EGR and the cold start injector but this would be the better one to get. Painless makes a complete wiring kit for an easier installation than trying to decipher just exactly what you need or have to have. There are several companies that offer reprograming and now there is a company that offers the ability to reprogram it yourself and monitor your readings. But certainly the cheapest way would be to find a complete car and get everything from it.
Yep, you can pay 2k for the whole car, swap your old carb setup into it, sell it for 1500, or in my case, about an estimated 1200 by the time I've got it all setup and running.