The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2023, 01:53 PM   #1
brandster

Under Dash Wiring Question

Haven't done much to my truck in the last several months and went to crank it so I could move it around and get to other things I needed to. Could not get it to crank or even make a sound when the key was turned. I fully charged the battery and still nothing. Headlights come on so I know at least there is some juice there.

A few months ago I played with the wiper switch/wiring trying to get the wipers working correctly instead of the toggle switch someone installed, and worried I may have messed up other wiring, its a spiders nest anyway with all of the wiring under the dash. I know nothing about wiring to begin with but figured I would give it a shot.

Anyway, I know the wiper switch works as a ground as far as for the wipers working, but would it also work as a ground for cranking the truck? The wiper switch is currently not mounted on the dash. Figured I would ask before wasting more time on it. I did order an AAW original style dash harness last night online since the current wiring is a mess, but would still like to get it cranked in the meantime. Thanks
brandster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 06:38 PM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Under Dash Wiring Question

You might check the condition of the Fuse Link that connects from the Battery Positive lug to the Terminal mounted on the Passenger Side Fender. If this gets fried, it will no longer conduct electricity. You might have shorted something jiggling around under the dash if the PO left you a spider's nest.
Also check the condition of the Ignition Switch. A broken connection there will present the same gripe.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 11:42 PM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

Check your ignition switch like Sunshine says. Those are notorious for burning where the connector is on the back of it. A new pigtail is available from parts stores & specialty stores. The wiper switch does not need to be grounded for the starter switch to work. The starter switch will work also hanging by the wires.

George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 12:47 PM   #4
BAD1916

Is this an automatic truck? If so maybe check that the wiring to the neutral safety switch is good. I would use a test light and start by checking in and out of the neutral safety switch.
BAD1916 is offline   Reply With Quote