The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2023, 12:56 AM   #1
57hauler

dashpad from a C60 to a C10

hello all. hoping someone can offer some advice. I have an opportunity to purchase parts from a 77C60. I have only seen pics of it and know its rotting away in a farm field roughly 150 miles from me. Wanted to grab dashpad, cluster, steering wheel and any other misc parts i can think of before it goes to the scrapper. It would be for my barebones 77C10. Reasons for the swap are as follows:
Dashpad- although it appears slightly different, its in surprisingly good shape. My current one looks like a wolverine attacked it.
Cluster- the C60 one appears super clean as mine has sun faded needles. More importantly, i like the fact the C60 has actual gauges as opposed to that one idiot light for brake gauge in my C10. What would be needed to make voltage?amperage gauge and what appears to be a vacuum gauge functional for my application in my C10?
Steering wheel- the crown jewel, lol. I like the big old chrome horn cap, like the old school look of the bigger wheel and my C10 doesnt have PS so it would be functional. So my other questions. Since i have a 150 mile roadtrip to to get to this thing, i need to be completely prepared to. Wanted a gameplan of attack to minimize time working out in the cold. Was gonna just cut column with a sawzall and deal with removing correctly when i get home. I have 3 speed on column so one in C60 wouldnt work. Maybe the rear glass as well? Not a fan of that cheesy looking center slider. Thanks in advance to any insight, i believe it has a seized 283/4speed. maybe the dash wiring harness is mice didnt get to it? idk
57hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 07:13 AM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: dashpad from a C60 to a C10

If you take the instrument cluster, get the cluster plug from the donor as well. You may need some of the pins when you rework your existing idiot light plug. Same for the column.

Don't overlook things like visors, door panels, handles etc. A lot of the little stuff interchanges between models even if the big parts are different.

Check out the engine. Even if the block is bad, some of the parts may be good. Might be able to score a rebuildable Q-Jet or a working OEM HEI distributor.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 07:59 AM   #3
Pontiac1976

As said but, the Vaccuum gauge pretty easy to hook up if the line is copper has the fittings to the Eng side, oil line or wire to the sender, water temp same, tach connectors @ dist. any factory connector for the ground any fuse or noise copastors that goes to fuse box or the gauges. And fuse box and the bulkhead on the fire wall both sides. and a + take pic's wire harness motor or the whole thing. Wiring breakdown most times as Eng& Tran, light front, rear light, mid body light extension, wiper. Good luck and have fun do take pic of where and connection is what it plugs in to on body, before and after you unplug. So you can know for later will and can help.
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 12:03 AM   #4
57hauler

thank you guys for the pro tips. As soon as gets just slightly warmer, ill take a ride to score the parts
Old 02-27-2023, 01:02 AM   #5
1774btcrew

Dash pad isn't what you would call padded. In the big trucks there are a hard pressed cardboard type material which is why it looks to be in good shape. There is nothing to crack. Rear window will be too small as the big trucks had a smaller window. Probably due to the possibility of being easily broken on a work/dump truck.

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 10:56 PM   #6
57hauler

thanks for intel on glass. sooooo would dashpad not work as well or crumble if i attempt removal. thought steering wheel and dash would be a slight but cool deviation from stock. was basically trying to think of my own look instead for "stealing' someone elses idea.