The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2023, 12:40 PM   #26
Belsh

Re: Anyone recognise this cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
The inner seal is an actual lip seal. Typically they leak because the lip runs on a plastic gear and wears a groove in the plastic shaft.
I have never seen the outer "O" ring leak. Replacing the seal and the gear will fix your leak. You will need the color or tooth count of the gear as they very by application. Only hand tighten the speedo cable to the adapter. It is not a sealing service and it will still leak no matter how tight you get it. I have even observed them with Teflon tape on the threads. Nope it didn't work.
If I undo the cable does it then just pull out? For the gear will I be able to prize that out from the same hole or do I need to get into it from somewhere else? Thanks
Belsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 03:30 PM   #27
'68OrangeSunshine

Thumbs up Re: Anyone recognise this cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belsh View Post
Hey 68, I've only just bought the truck and my experience of engines is limited thus I'm finding this place absolutely invaluable!! Sorry for the quality of my attached pic but does it show what you are saying about the connection from the carb to the distributor?

Also on the speedo connection can i get a new seal for the end of the cable into the tranny or do I just need a new cable? The speedo needle flickers badly when driving (like when youre doing 30 it bounces between 20 and 40 as an example) I havent had time to research it yet as getting it safe to drive is my first job!!
1] Yes. Follow the Blue Line.
2] You may not need to replace the speedo cable if you get a good result from lubing the inner flex shaft with powdered graphite.
Disconnect both ends of the speedo cable. Carefully extract the full lrngth of it. Blow some canned air [from the computer store ] down the shaft to air it out. Then you want to squeeze a puff of graphite down the hole. Follow with the flex shaft, squirting more puffs of the black dust on the cable as it goes down. When the flex shaft is back in the sheath, reconnect at the transmissionn side, then the indicator. Take it for a spin to check it out.
I've taken the bounce out of my speedometer at 60-70, But I still run a GPS to crosscheck my groundspeed.
Caution, the sticky black dust can get every where and it smears.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 04:11 PM   #28
yuccales

Re: Anyone recognise this cable?

Would it be easier to pull the spindle nut and remove the whole hub/drum as an assembly? Once on a bench you could pour the coals to it with an impact or take it to someone with a impact.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote