The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2004, 05:07 PM   #1
Huskerboy2

Tough Decision - Opinions Please

Hi All:

I'm having a dilemma and could use some advice. Right now, I have the fenders, hood, doors, tailgate, rear fender wells and the top off my Blazer. The truck runs great, 96K original miles and the tranny and xfer case are solid. My original plan was to do a body on cosmetic restoration and I wasn't planning on touching the drive train. My dilemma is that now I am thinking about going frame off full resto. I need to replace the body mounts anyway. What would you all do?

It would be nice to be able to powder coat the frame and chassis parts, etc. It would be nice to even have the tub acid dipped or at least plastic media blasted top side and under side. It would make for a better job, no doubt, and it would also cost $$$.

Here are my questions and concerns if I did full frame off:

1. My biggest concern is that while I'm pretty handy with a wrench, I'm a little worried about disassembly (suspension, wiring, A/C etc.) and mainly re-assembly. It's a little intimidating for me, even though I know that there are a lot of good resources on this board to help.

2. Would you go ahead and have the engine, tranny and xfer case rebuilt? I would hate to get her put back together and then have something go wrong.

3. Would you replace the wiring with a "painless" wiring kit while you're at it?

4. The Blazer is not a CST, it's a 4 speed manual, no tach, tilt, etc. It does have some heavy duty suspension options, A/C, etc. It was a worker Blazer basically and it's in better than average shape, I would say. It was a one owner with 96K miles. Does it still make sense to do a full frame off resto on a truck that isn't that highly optioned?

I would appreciate any opinions.

Thanks all.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:16 PM   #2
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Talking

The Blazer I Just Bought Has Had Everything Done That You Have
Said, Body Was Removed, Media Blasted, Coated With Dp90, & Then
Primered, Just The Tub Was Around $1500.00 To Do ( California ) I
Am Not Sure It Matters If It Is High Optioned Or Not On Doing A
Full Resto Unless You Are Going To Try To Sell It Later, Then Yes
A High Optioned Would Probably Bring More, How Much, No One Is
Going To Be Able To Tell You That, It Is Really A Personal Dec., I
Would Caution You To Label And Seperate Everything You Remove
Clear Down To The Bolts, I'm Still Trying To Figure Out What Goes
Where, He Did Have A New Wiring Harness Installed, Not Sure If It
Is A Painless, And It Will Make Things Go Back Together Easier, As
For Engine, Trans., Transfer Case, If Your Going That Far I Would
At Least Have Them Looked Over / Rebuilt Just Because In The End
You Won't Have That In The Back Of Your Mind Wondering About It.
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 07:01 PM   #3
Pilgrim

My $.02:

Suggest several steps. Step 1 - remove all rust and paint. Remove wiring if necessary, keeping extensive notes with diagrams. 2. Paint frame while body is off. 3. Repair anything needed on frame. 4. Paint sheet metal while off. All of it. 5. Start reassembly. Touchup scratches as you go. 6. Clean and paint engine, xfer case, xmission after fixing leaks.

Overhaul/rebuild only if necessary, these are easy to remove if rebuild needed in future. This will help spread cost over months or years. Meanwhile you can DRIVE IT and look for your next project.

I am in the process of looking for a stepside and a blazer. Many are advertised as in good condition. Upon inspection, some owners have changed carbs, intakes put on magic shifters, and pimped the inside. However, their coffee cups and wrenches tend to fall through the floor.

IF THE FRAME AND BODY HAVE NOT BEEN PRESERVED, all the other stuff is SO WHAT?. Many owners forget that trucks run on frames and suspensions. Solid metal is good to hang other things on, like engines, Pabst Blue Ribbon, and bikinis.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:16 PM   #4
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

My trick on dissassembly is to bag and tag all the hardware to the part it was removed from. If it was at all difficult to remove I add a note on the bag as well.

As far as your frame off question.. Do what your heart tells you. Do not look at the truck as an investment but as an enjoyment. It's hard to get more out of these trucks monetarily than what you put in them.

Rich
Old 08-10-2004, 06:19 PM   #5
donkey69
JB-80 "Twice as Good"

"If it works-don't f with it"

All comes down to time and money- and what your plans in the long run are for the truck. I say drive & enjoy--(and keep from rusting). As mentioned above, a personal decision for sure.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:39 PM   #6
skid

I know how you feel! Sometimes when I work on my Blazer, I just want to keep going right until the body is off the frame. I hate looking at worn out, rusty parts, and the holes in the floor bother me every time I look at them.

I bought my truck a year ago and from the outside the body looked pretty good. I figured once hunting season was over, I would really start going through it. Well I did enough to pass insurance inspection, but the snow fell so I figured I would drive it when it snowed. Then spring came, and I took the top off, and really enjoyed driving it. Now hunting season is coming up again..... I don't know when I really will start restoring mine, and it's not even my daily driver!

My truck is a medium optioned truck (no air or console), but when I do decide to go through it, I will go all the way just because I really love to drive it. It is so old school compared to all the new vehicles, but with the proper upgrades, will ride and drive with the best of them. I say do it all if you are going to keep it. If you are going to sell, don't waste your money because it is very hard to make money on a restored vehicle. I put more than double into my Vette than I could sell it for.....
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:50 AM   #7
Huskerboy2

Thanks for the replies. They are much appreciated and there is some good advice there. I think I am going to go the extra mile, and the extra bucks, and do the full restoration. I just don't think I would be satisfied if I didn't.