The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2023, 01:54 AM   #51
Nevada51

Re: Right Hand Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agv63 View Post
Sorry to jack up an old thread,
I am from south africa, have a 63rhd.

Anything you want to know or have pics of?
Can take some over weekend.

Cheers.
Adriaan.

Some pics.
Rhd steering box, same used for 1st and 2nd gen.and accelerator links on 2nd gen.
Second pic , type of tail lights we had.
Third, tailgates and lettering we had. Whole bed is different from usa models. Edit. 1st gen tailgate looked similar.
We had square inner fenders.
Did you ever ID the steering box? Interested to know if I can source one locally in Australia. Cheers!
Nevada51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 02:37 AM   #52
Agv63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada51 View Post
Did you ever ID the steering box? Interested to know if I can source one locally in Australia. Cheers!
Hi.
Still ongoing search with that one.
Its not just a reverse casing from usa models. Looks like it could be from a different brand and just used by gmsa as it is a saginaw box, or it could be spesifically made for the rhd. Not alot of info so it takes time to check up on them.
Input shaft is 3/4x36 spline and longer . Pitman shaft looks longer but not verified it as yet.
What i have checked on to do a powersteering box, we had a opel commodore labeled as a chevrolet commodore (same as your holden vb and vc models), rhd, but used the lhd opel steering box to sit on outside of the beam, it is higher so inner fender on c10 will have to be cut and input shaft sits on top of beam so not inline with steering column , so intermediate shaft will have to be 2 x universals.
Dont know if the holden commodore vb had same steering box over there, just know that they were changed to rack from vc models. There is some holden specific parts on your version of commodore.
Will check if i have a pic on the opel steering box.
I also have commodores in my arsenal of cars, and a holden as well, relabeled hq one tonner that was called chevrolet eltoro over here, the hq ute was a elcamino.
Pic attached of both pickups from 2 years ago.
Cheers.
Adriaan.
Attached Images

Agv63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 11:27 AM   #53
Agv63

Nevada51, here is the pics of the opel commodore/senator lhd. If the pitman is rotated 180deg it works for rhd c10. Cutting and stacking of pitmans on top another then welding and pinning them as added joint.
Mostly whats done here is scrounging for something that can work and then doing a conversion.
Hope the info can be of any help there on your side.

Cheers.
Adriaan.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2023, 01:44 AM   #54
Nevada51

Thanks for the pictures. I'm interested in a RHD conversion, but was thinking of keeping in a manual steering box (bias ply tires make steering easy!). Yours could be a Saginaw 525 steering box? The casting numbers don't match, but it looks similar, and I think that would work for a RHD conversion, except I don't believe the splines match the LHD box (need to confirm).

The next issue would be the shift levers as I'd like to keep it 3 on the tree, but that's a whole other thing!
Old 04-25-2023, 02:23 AM   #55
Agv63

Quote:
Thanks for the pictures. I'm interested in a RHD conversion, but was thinking of keeping in a manual steering box (bias ply tires make steering easy!). Yours could be a Saginaw 525 steering box? The casting numbers don't match, but it looks similar, and I think that would work for a RHD conversion, except I don't believe the splines match the LHD box (need to confirm).

The next issue would be the shift levers as I'd like to keep it 3 on the tree, but that's a whole other thing!
Adapting the steering is the easy part. Acc pedal i converted mine from the linkage to cable, looks cleaner and adjustments way easier.
Biggest booster i could fit is 9". Can take some pics on where mine sits.
I went auto on mine when i did the pontiac 455/switch pitch 400 install and there is a cross linkage that bolts under oilpan to make rhd column shift work with the levers of th boxes thats on the lift. Will take some pics there as well, maybe it sparks an idea.
Sadly i havent found a 1st or 2nd gen pickup that still has 3 on the tree to see linkage. All been converted to floorshifter. Will ask my buddy for a pic on floorshifter as he has my old trans.

Cheers
Adriaan.
Old 04-25-2023, 03:05 PM   #56
Micmac

My wife is a Kiwi (New Zealander), I have been there numerous times since the 1970's. Driving on that side of the road is a trip. Even though she has been here in the Big PX for over 40 years, sometimes when she is tired, she will attempt to get in to the wrong side, like if she was driving before the stop, she'll get in passenger side with keys in hand.
1947 Indian Chief Roadmaster with Sidecar.
2012 Indian Chief Serial #002 of 110 built in '12
2016 Indian Chief Roadmaster
Micmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 03:11 PM   #57
Micmac

AVG 63 I'm digging on that "Fleetside" Emblem. Got anymore?

Last edited by Micmac; 04-25-2023 at 03:13 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 04-25-2023, 03:14 PM   #58
Agv63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micmac View Post
AVG 63 I'm digging on that "Fleetside" Emblem. Got anymore?
Will check thru my folder and see if anymore.

Cheers.
Adriaan.
Old 04-25-2023, 04:03 PM   #59
Agv63

Pics i have of fleetside emblem.
Some not great but shows location.
From what i can tell it is 58/59 chevy truck units.
We mainly had fleetside trucks here.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2023, 04:12 PM   #60
Agv63

Some interior pics.
And one from squarebody. We had a fibreglass dash in the 73 to 78 units. Plain painted. Some cover it with leather or vinyl.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2023, 03:27 AM   #61
Agv63

Quote:

Hi. Spoke to my buddy to see if he knows how the original linkage was done with rhd .
He phoned an old friend of his father, aparently it used links from column down to z-bars under trans and links again, from what he remenbers the levers on trans pointed down.

I used this on my auto setup so i could use column shifter.
Here it came on holden hq models that had th350 trans and column shift. It bolts in front with the oilpan bolts.

But i think 2 push/pull cables might be another option, just fabricating mount brackets.
On the steering box, maybe a box frame and move original steering box over. Saw a pic where someone did it that way. Will scrounge my archives for a pic, hopefully i kept it. Edit.
Did a search. Is actually on this forum. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=482167

Cheers
Adriaan.
Attached Images

Last edited by Agv63; 04-30-2023 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Additional info added.
Old 04-30-2023, 08:35 AM   #62
geezer#99

Quote:

The two I’ve looked at (56 Pontiac and 65 amc) used bellcranks and rods. From the column back to behind the trans, across to the the other side, ahead to the shifter arms on the trans that were flipped downward. Six bellcranks and six rods. The rod length had to be precise.
A nightmare to assemble.
I would think a mid sixties Chevy to be similar.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 11:12 AM   #63
Micmac

Thanks for the Fleetside photos. Now I am on a mission to find some. I have a '63 C-10 Fleetside. Even if I didn't put it on my truck, I have a wall of Chevy truck emblems in my shop.
Old 05-12-2023, 07:20 PM   #64
Nevada51

Thanks Adrian and Geezer - the shift linkages sound like a nightmare with plenty of opportunity for slop and binding in the shifting what with all the extra linkages. I was thinking that maybe I could use a Holden three speed gearbox to eliminate some of that issue…. Or just keep driving it as a LHD lol!

That steering box mount looks doable and better than I expected.

Cam