The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2004, 12:33 AM   #1
firemanchuck
FightingFire Saving Lives

Manual steering to power please help...

Hello everyone!

I recently bought a 1972 swb chevy 4X4 with a small block in it. I want to convert it to power steering. Can anyone tell me what all I need to make this happen as far as parts? Is it a hard conversion? Do I just need a gear box with power steering on it or can I use my old one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your expertise!

Chuck
firemanchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 12:38 AM   #2
Hunter
Lovin' Arizona Since 1961

Definitely need a different box. One with hydraulic fittings in it. That's how the "power" part comes in. You'll also need a pump and brackets, a pulley for the belt (yours might already have the groove for the belt) and the high and low pressure lines. I did my conversion with a donor vehicle, so I had everything right there. The left fender well is different too. See if you can't dig up a donor at the junk yard. That way you'll see (and have) everything you need. H.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:38 AM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Hunter is right on the money on this deal, but I'm not sure what he's talking about the fender well being different. I just converted mine 2 weeks ago with no fender well issues at all.

You'll also need to power steering pitman arm to go on the power steering box.

I'd contact board member "teeitup" in Kansas. He specializes in things like 4x4 power steering stuff. He's a straight shooter who will treat you right on parts and prices. He'd probably sell you a complete kit of everything you need.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:50 PM   #4
firemanchuck
FightingFire Saving Lives

Thanks guys

T hanks for your help guys. Hope you are having a great weekend!

Chuck
firemanchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 08:12 PM   #5
WRMZ71
Cause the Chicks DIG IT!!

I believe the difference he was saying about the inner fender is that on the ones with PS there is a little spot cut out where the metal part of the lines will kind of go. I ran into this problem when i did my conversion but I just took a grinder and cut a little piece out to make room for the hoses.
WRMZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 08:25 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Beats me. I took my original 70 truck with power nothing and swapped it to power steering. The lines cleared the inner fenderwell just fine. No trimming or anyhting required.

I converted another truck, a 69, to power steering a few years ago and don't remember any issues with it either.

I suspect there may be some issue with the type of power steering hoses used causing the interference.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:28 PM   #7
WRMZ71
Cause the Chicks DIG IT!!

could very well be firefighter. If i remember right I got my pump and all that goood stuff off of a 72 GMC then put it on a 71 Chevy. Heck i dont' know.
WRMZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 12:52 AM   #8
jimfulco

I thought there was a problem with interference with the frame, something about the factory notching the frame after a certain point in time.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 09:20 AM   #9
MACKL
Almost done!

Firemanchuck,
I converted mine this weekend. It appears the box I bought is junk. I have power assit when I turn right, and no assist when I turn left. Go figure.

Don't forget to check the rag joint. The manual box joint is smaller than the power and will not interchange. I also had to grind about a 1/4 inch off of the bumper support.

Jimfulco
I think the only ones WITH OUT the dimple in the frames were the '67's. They call it a dimple, but it is pretty significant.

The 1970 SWB Project

Removed 6cyl manual trans, manual everything
V8-350
Auto/PS/PDB
Blazer Fuel Tank
Behind the Marker Light Fuel Fill
MACKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 07:37 PM   #10
Hunter
Lovin' Arizona Since 1961

Whoops wasn't watching the thread. I got my PS box, pump, lines, Steering column - every darn thing from a '72 donor Suburban. Rustiest damned truck I ever saw. Was from Michigan. Pillar between front and rear doors wasn't attached to anything anymore!! Used a LOT of Liquid Wrench on that project. Had to notch LH fenderwell in my pickup for steel pump line clearance but I'll have to bet they're the same in the Sub as the pickup. Why wouldn't they be??.... H.

Last edited by Hunter; 08-16-2004 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Wrong info!
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote