The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2023, 09:18 PM   #1
1972BackInBlackC10

Sound deadner & Insulation?

Anyone using both sound deadner and insulation under their carpet? Would it be too thick if i used both?

I was just going to use sound deadner but im not sure if i should use insulation as well, what are your opinions?
1972BackInBlackC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 07:08 AM   #2
D.B

Re: Sound deadner & Insulation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972BackInBlackC10 View Post
Anyone using both sound deadner and insulation under their carpet? Would it be too thick if i used both?

I was just going to use sound deadner but im not sure if i should use insulation as well, what are your opinions?
I use both sound deadener and insulation. I sprayed a layer of Lizardskin heat barrier and a layer of sound deadener. Then I placed a layer of Flat Line barrier over this. And finally, the carpet with its insulation. I was told my carpet wouldn't lay flat because of the thickness of all this but it looks great. Also, it cut down the amount of noise and heat that comes up from the floor area. Made a world of difference.
D.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 09:50 PM   #3
LS short box

I did similar to what was said above. Dyna Mat then double sided insulation. Then standard carpet.
Pic.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 11:28 AM   #4
Professor Pain

Curious if y’all felt it was worth the effort?
Old 06-22-2023, 12:28 PM   #5
MikeB

I've done a 55 Chevy car and 82 C10 over the years with Dyna-mat type (butyl) sound deadening materials, along with a layer of Bonded Logic insulation, which is foil-lined recycled blue jean fibers.

In my experience, the butyl products do a great job of deadening sound, but almost nothing to block heat from the floor. I don't care what the manufacturers and sellers claim!

To answer your question, yes the work was worth the effort. Even 1-2 square feet on the doors made them close with a solid "thud", and cabin noise when driving down the road was noticeably, if not substantially, reduced. Heat on the floor from exhaust pipes and headers, which was really bad in the 55, became almost non-existent after I added the insulation to the sound deadening material.

BTW, there is little, if anything, to gain by covering the entire door or floor with sound deadening material. It's kind of like simply touching a bell with a finger or two to dampen the ringing. No need to grab the bell with both hands. Of course, you will want full coverage with the insulation, but I've never used it on doors.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 06:48 PM   #6
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I bought ACC Mass Back carpet for my truck and then got Kilmat too. So the floor has the mass back carpet and Kilmat beneath. The rear panel has just Kilmat with normal carpet over top. Truck is a lot quieter now with those in it. Installer didn't say he had any issues installing the carpet. So I guess to answer your question I would say use both and you shoudnt have any issues.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 02:45 AM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
I've done a 55 Chevy car and 82 C10 over the years with Dyna-mat type (butyl) sound deadening materials, along with a layer of Bonded Logic insulation, which is foil-lined recycled blue jean fibers.

In my experience, the butyl products do a great job of deadening sound, but almost nothing to block heat from the floor. I don't care what the manufacturers and sellers claim!

To answer your question, yes the work was worth the effort. Even 1-2 square feet on the doors made them close with a solid "thud", and cabin noise when driving down the road was noticeably, if not substantially, reduced. Heat on the floor from exhaust pipes and headers, which was really bad in the 55, became almost non-existent after I added the insulation to the sound deadening material.

BTW, there is little, if anything, to gain by covering the entire door or floor with sound deadening material. It's kind of like simply touching a bell with a finger or two to dampen the ringing. No need to grab the bell with both hands. Of course, you will want full coverage with the insulation, but I've never used it on doors.
Sounds like a plan to me, nice write up. My flooring and upholstery are next on the list.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 11:41 AM   #8
68 C10 Driver

I used the Lizard Skin thermal and sound deadener. My truck is still in the process of restoration, but at looking at videos on YouTube from companies that use this product in Texas actually show a before and after thermometer reading to illustrate how effective the Lizard Skin is.
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 10:15 AM   #9
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 C10 Driver View Post
I used the Lizard Skin thermal and sound deadener. My truck is still in the process of restoration, but at looking at videos on YouTube from companies that use this product in Texas actually show a before and after thermometer reading to illustrate how effective the Lizard Skin is.
Sounds like some good stuff. Similar to undercoating that was used many years ago. But it requires lots of prep and masking before applying unless the cab is bare.
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
Old 06-24-2023, 10:25 AM   #10
MikeB

Just found this. It's what I used on two vehicles. It's significantly less expensive than DynaMat Xtreme, but works just as well, if not better, because the butyl layer is thicker.

https://www.amazon.com/Noico-deadeni...MGO/ref=sr_1_6

You'll need this tool for a good installation. Also, you'll need to clean the metal surfaces as well as possible. Lacquer thinner does a good job once you've got rid of any flakey paint or loose rust.

https://www.amazon.com/Noico-Install...df_B015WJH4ZW/