The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2023, 04:00 PM   #1
Yamariv

Easiest way to add a key on power circuit for a dash cam

I tried searching the forum but didn't come up with much

What is the best way to add a key on auxiliary 12v power circuit in our trucks. Are there any open spaces in the stock fuse box or is it possible an external fuse adapter that plugs into a spot and makes an extra lead? I'm looking to add a dashcam to my truck but want it hard wired so it's reliable and always on when I'm driving.

Thx

Upgrades: Power Steering
3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
Power Brakes (Incoming!!..)
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)
Yamariv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 05:14 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Easiest way to add a key on power circuit for a dash cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamariv View Post
I tried searching the forum but didn't come up with much

What is the best way to add a key on auxiliary 12v power circuit in our trucks. Are there any open spaces in the stock fuse box or is it possible an external fuse adapter that plugs into a spot and makes an extra lead? I'm looking to add a dashcam to my truck but want it hard wired so it's reliable and always on when I'm driving.

Thx
The best way to do this is through a relay so that the ignition switch doesn't carry the additional current required to power the camera.. Take power from the junction block near the battery. Run that through the relay and from there to the camera, using wire gauge and fuse recommendation of the camera manufacturer. Ground one side of the relay winding. Excite the relay with a wire from any ignition hot terminal/fuse at the fuse box..
RustyPile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 05:37 PM   #3
body bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
The best way to do this is through a relay so that the ignition switch doesn't carry the additional current required to power the camera.. Take power from the junction block near the battery. Run that through the relay and from there to the camera, using wire gauge and fuse recommendation of the camera manufacturer. Ground one side of the relay winding. Excite the relay with a wire from any ignition hot terminal/fuse at the fuse box..
This. Save your ignition switch.
body bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 07:29 PM   #4
PbFut

Dash cams pull very little power. I don't think a relay is needed. Pull a line from the fuse block and put a 5 amp inline fuse on it. You will be fine.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 08:10 PM   #5
dmjlambert

There is already a key-on fused position. Just plug in to the Radio terminal. If necessary, make your wire for dash cam that plugs in have a piggyback male packard 56 connector, if you're already using the radio terminal for a radio. Or you can plug in to the IGN UNFUSED if you put an inline fuse holder on the dash cam wire.

fuse panel positions

example piggyback
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 08:46 PM   #6
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
Dash cams pull very little power. I don't think a relay is needed. Pull a line from the fuse block and put a 5 amp inline fuse on it. You will be fine.
Shows how much I know about dash cams..
RustyPile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 09:36 PM   #7
body bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
I know that but it's still not a bad idea. I added one with 6 separately fused circuits. I think many ignition switches have been killed by hanging accessories on them.
Old 09-13-2023, 09:51 PM   #8
Yamariv

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
Shows how much I know about dash cams..
Sounds a little more complicated than I was hoping :S

3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)
Old 09-13-2023, 09:54 PM   #9
Yamariv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
There is already a key-on fused position. Just plug in to the Radio terminal. If necessary, make your wire for dash cam that plugs in have a piggyback male packard 56 connector, if you're already using the radio terminal for a radio. Or you can plug in to the IGN UNFUSED if you put an inline fuse holder on the dash cam wire.

fuse panel positions

example piggyback
This option sounds much more like it for me! I have a radio that's already using that spot so I guess the unfused open locations would be perfect. What connector is the one that would plug onto that male unfused terminal? Any chance someone would have a Napa link to it?

3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)
Old 09-13-2023, 10:06 PM   #10
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by body bolt View Post
I know that but it's still not a bad idea. I added one with 6 separately fused circuits. I think many ignition switches have been killed by hanging accessories on them.
That is interesting. I really like the fuse panels of these trucks and other 60's and early 70's cars, with their recessed glass fuse holders. Especially when the entire panel accepts uniform and common 3AG fuses in all positions. I've never seen an aftermarket fuse panel as good as these OEM ones. I don't care much for modern plastic fuses. I've considered buying an OEM panel and using it as an add-on panel for extra circuits, and relay switching it. The ones from old Dodge Chargers look ideal, like this one from eBay.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2023, 10:24 PM   #11
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamariv View Post
This option sounds much more like it for me! I have a radio that's already using that spot so I guess the unfused open locations would be perfect. What connector is the one that would plug onto that male unfused terminal? Any chance someone would have a Napa link to it?
I've not had much luck with Napa's website, its search function and overall functionality is bad, so I avoid it. What you're looking for is Packard 56 series terminals and connectors. The terminals are the metal tab part, and the connector is the plastic outer part. The terminals are made to fit wires of various gauges. It requires a very expensive crimper to put them on correctly. I use an inexpensive crimper that gets it done OK but not perfect, and I perfect the connection by soldering to finish the crimped joint. I can't endorse this company in the link below, but their website has the connectors and terminals. I prefer using Packard 56 over car parts store spade connectors despite my inability to make a good crimp joint. I'm also no good at making a good crimp joint on car parts store spade connectors.
https://www.delcity.net/store/Packar...nectors/p_9108
Old 09-13-2023, 10:26 PM   #12
body bolt

I didn't change the panel. I added two 6 circuit fuse boxes under the hood by the battery, one switched and one unswitched. The switched feeds the CB radios and the HEI. Right now the unswitched feeds a relay that controls the A/C clutch to insure it sees a solid 12V I've burned up a couple of A/C clutches which I blame on low coil voltage causing the clutch to slip. The unswitched will eventually also feed the headlights when I put in that relay harness.

That Chrysler box looks pretty good. I don't mind the blade fuses as these days they're easier to find.

Last edited by body bolt; 09-13-2023 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-13-2023, 10:36 PM   #13
Yamariv

Quote:
I've not had much luck with Napa's website, its search function and overall functionality is bad, so I avoid it. What you're looking for is Packard 56 series terminals and connectors. The terminals are the metal tab part, and the connector is the plastic outer part. The terminals are made to fit wires of various gauges. It requires a very expensive crimper to put them on correctly. I use an inexpensive crimper that gets it done OK but not perfect, and I perfect the connection by soldering to finish the crimped joint. I can't endorse this company in the link below, but their website has the connectors and terminals. I prefer using Packard 56 over car parts store spade connectors despite my inability to make a good crimp joint. I'm also no good at making a good crimp joint on car parts store spade connectors.
https://www.delcity.net/store/Packar...nectors/p_9108
Yeah I hear you about the Napa site, Napa Canada site is brutal to search. I found this on the US site, they call it a GM56 terminal, looks the same as the Packard link you sent. You think they are the same?

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NW_725147

3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)
Old 09-13-2023, 10:40 PM   #14
dmjlambert

Yes it is a Packard 56. That is the terminal. That one is for 14 to 16 gauge wire. I like to use those with the matching plastic connector, show in the picture I posted in post #9 above.
Old 09-13-2023, 10:43 PM   #15
Yamariv

Quote:
Yes it is a Packard 56. That is the terminal. I like to use those with the matching plastic connector, show in the picture I posted in post #9 above.
Sweet, thank you! Looks like I actually found the plastic connector too on the Napa site, can't believe it!

What size inline fuse would be best for a dashcam? I'm guessing pretty small?

https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/NWA725146

3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)
Old 09-13-2023, 11:56 PM   #16
dmjlambert

You're a Napa online wizard! The dashcam instructions will tell you fuse size or it may come with an inline fuse holder with a fuse in it. Probably 2 or 3 amp, just guessing.
Old 09-14-2023, 10:29 AM   #17
Yamariv

Quote:
You're a Napa online wizard! The dashcam instructions will tell you fuse size or it may come with an inline fuse holder with a fuse in it. Probably 2 or 3 amp, just guessing.
Awesome, thank for all the help!

3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)
Old 09-14-2023, 03:50 PM   #18
MARKDTN

Quote:
That is interesting. I really like the fuse panels of these trucks and other 60's and early 70's cars, with their recessed glass fuse holders. Especially when the entire panel accepts uniform and common 3AG fuses in all positions. I've never seen an aftermarket fuse panel as good as these OEM ones. I don't care much for modern plastic fuses. I've considered buying an OEM panel and using it as an add-on panel for extra circuits, and relay switching it. The ones from old Dodge Chargers look ideal, like this one from eBay.
That looks like more rust than I would like. You can buy them new.

https://www.sierraparts.com/en-us/po...fs40900-319689
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote