The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2023, 02:46 PM   #1
cgster

Question about painting

Im in the process of moving. My truck currently doesn't have the front or back windshield in so I would like to get both windows put in since my truck will be moved and may be exposed to the weather for a while. The truck isn't at the point where I can spray it, still needs body work..etc, and I also don't have the air compressor/spray gun setup that I will need.

I have the paint (3 different colors for the roof, interior and body). I can get the pinch weld areas around the windows cleaned up and ready for paint.

My question is, would a foam brush give me a decent finish around the pinch welds and a little beyond the pinch weld area?
cgster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 04:06 PM   #2
Sheepdip

Re: Question about painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgster View Post
Im in the process of moving. My truck currently doesn't have the front or back windshield in so I would like to get both windows put in since my truck will be moved and may be exposed to the weather for a while. The truck isn't at the point where I can spray it, still needs body work..etc, and I also don't have the air compressor/spray gun setup that I will need.

I have the paint (3 different colors for the roof, interior and body). I can get the pinch weld areas around the windows cleaned up and ready for paint.

My question is, would a foam brush give me a decent finish around the pinch welds and a little beyond the pinch weld area?
I'm any and everything but a painter nor do I want to be, but my educated guess is no, it will look like Earl Scheib painted it.
When I was 10 years old I helped my Grandfather paint his 48 Dodge Pickup out on the dairy, blue with black fenders... with brushes.
He passed away in 1970 and that truck still looked like it was painted with a broom.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 06:58 PM   #3
72c20customcamper

Is it in Epoxy prime ? If not the whole truck will start to rust exposed to the elements . If it is I would just pop the glass back in as is and then remove when you’re ready to paint .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 05:54 PM   #4
wwboater

I just finished painitng my truck and I would NOT just paint it with a foam brush... You need to put the glass in. Then when you are ready do it right. I promise you will be much happier.

Also if it is unpainted metal it is all gonna rust quickly left to the elements.
wwboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 08:35 PM   #5
LS short box

Pretty good chance you will crack the wind shield if you try to remove it for paint.
I would visit your local applinince store and get some heavy duty card board to close up the front a back windows. Same with the side windows. Lots of of duct tape to hold it in place.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 02:19 AM   #6
Richard

Using cardboard to seal off is a good idea. Using duct tape to put in place is a bad idea. the residue left over is not good for paint to adhere to. Something like blue painters tape is a better option. Another way to go is get a can of 2k paint mixed up for about $30, mask off and paint. There will be some feathering to do, but it will probably be fine. I am referencing single stage paint here which I used on my truck. I am tired off the expensive clear coats failing after just a few years of common use.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 08:04 AM   #7
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
Pretty good chance you will crack the wind shield if you try to remove it for paint.
I would visit your local applinince store and get some heavy duty card board to close up the front a back windows. Same with the side windows. Lots of of duct tape to hold it in place.
I’ve never broken a windshield with a rubber gasket . Done my fair share working in the body shop . If he uses a new gasket with no sealer it’ll pop right out on a warm day . Cardboard? Seems the first time it gets wet it useless he’s trying to keep the elements out of it as he’s storing it outside . Better just tarping the whole truck
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 01:12 PM   #8
68 C10 Driver

I took my 70 MGB with me to Guam back in 1991 to give me something to do while I was there. It was all in primer (not epoxy). Knowing that the regular sandable primer is porous, I, being the poor airman at the time, sprayed the entire car with clear rattle-can spray paint. It did a great job keeping the car from rusting, but I did have to reapply some clear here and there. I was finally able to get the car painted in a paint booth on base before I shipped the car back. Did I mention the car was on a ship to/from Guam for about 35 days?

If I did any body work, I would always topcoat with clear.

I also used a car cover to keep rain/salt spray off to keep things from getting out of hand.

Good luck on your project!
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote