The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2023, 11:47 PM   #1
Cal10

WTB v8 upper clutch rod

Looking for a v8 upper clutch rod, I think I’ve managed to collect everything (and make some things) for my 67 454 swap except for this. I ordered one from classic parts but it’s back ordered and they don’t have any idea when they’ll be back in stock. I’m itching to get this truck moving under its own power for the first time since the 90s and I’d rather have two than none!
Attached Images

Cal10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 03:00 AM   #2
pjmoreland

Re: WTB v8 upper clutch rod

I have one from Classic Parts that I purchased recently and used for about a week. It worked fine, but I decided to replace it with a very worn original that a friend repaired for me. I'd sell it to you for what I paid for it.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 11:38 AM   #3
Cal10

That seems fair to me. How’s the quality of the classic parts piece compared with the original? Seems like it looks a bit different based on their pictures which doesn’t really concern me, just curious if the originals seem a bit more stout or if it’s just an aesthetic difference?

Sending you a PM PJ.
Old 10-20-2023, 11:50 AM   #4
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal10 View Post
That seems fair to me. How’s the quality of the classic parts piece compared with the original? Seems like it looks a bit different based on their pictures which doesn’t really concern me, just curious if the originals seem a bit more stout or if it’s just an aesthetic difference?

Sending you a PM PJ.
Here are some photos of it. It seems to be quite well made and it appears to be the same diameter as the stock unit. It functioned just fine. I prefer stock parts though. There are a few minor differences between it and the stock rod:

1) The stock rod has a section at the engine end that is stamped flat

2) The ends are machined slightly longer than stock, which makes the rod a bit off-center as it passes through the firewall hole. It did clear without rubbing

3) The angles of the retaining clip holes are clocked differently from stock
Attached Images

pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 12:08 PM   #5
Cal10

Thank you for the comparison between the two, I typically lean toward originals myself but I think that this one will do the job just fine for me. I’ll take it sir.

It’s an interesting part, seems lots of places repop the 6 cylinder rod but the only sources for the v8 rod have been out of stock for a long time. These trucks have strong aftermarket support but there are a few random parts that are just hard to track down.