The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2023, 10:02 AM   #1
chiefcfd

Truck prices

Do you think the market for average trucks of our era are still holding? I know some of the car markets have softened over the last year. I may have the urge to sell.
chiefcfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 10:06 AM   #2
68bowtie

Re: Truck prices

List prices still seem to be high or even growing. From my perspective. Each region is very different.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the economy makes a correction, which will happen its only a matter of when. It’s possible it keeps on ‘truckin’.

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 11:22 AM   #3
1970cstblazer
All stock and staying that way

Thumbs down Re: Truck prices

I'm shocked at the prices for blatant and unequivocal JUNK. Too much MECUM and BJ for people to think their garbage is worth a fortune. The market needs a correction. Very few of these trucks are rare or desirable enough to command the prices that are being tossed out there.
1970 K/5 Blazer CST 4WD, Bronze, 93k ACT. miles, 350, 4 speed, positraction, 16.5" x 8.25" wheel option, tilt, tach, vacuum, AM/FM, manual throttle...Dad ordered and purchased new 4/70. Currently frame off restoration in progress...

1972 Cheyenne Super 20 2WD, DK Blue/White, 90K ACT. miles, 402, TH400, 4.10 open, tilt, tach, vacuum, A/C, AM/FM, manual throttle.. A mostly original paint never rusted Texas survivor...

2017 Sierra 1500 SLT 4WD, Black, 41k miles, 5.3, 6L80E, 3.42 LS, 20" polished wheels, everything but moonroof and 6.2...

2019 Canyon SLT 4WD, White, 60k miles, 3.6, 8L45, 3.23 LS, 18" wheels
1970cstblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 11:30 AM   #4
Wikid61
Post Whore

Rat Rod mindset & those LS swappers have made prices rise as well as the current skyrocketing cost of living. The Oregon Washington states have great deals for years. Cali has insane Crack Pipe high prices for beat down fishing truck/non running rigs. The word 'patina' the most abused w/ 'ran when parked' close 2nd when listing is like a broken record.
Wikid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 01:47 PM   #5
57taskforce
All about them K’s

They are still plenty expensive in my area.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 02:38 PM   #6
72SB

FWIW I sold my 72 a few months ago. Didn't need to nor needed the $ but wanted to thin the hobby car herd so I listed it on the "high" side on CL. It sold within hours at top $. More than trucks in nicer condition, and mine was nice, at the last few Mecum auctions.

Friends of mine that do sell regularly say market has recently softened.

I purchased my 72 from out of state on Hemmings and stole it. Hemings talked the seller into dropping reserve and I got $10k under what he wanted. I got more than that when I sold it about 1 1/2 years later. Buyer was ecstatic to get the truck and has since called twice saying how much he likes it

So yeah buyers are out there but in CA, that's where the $ is.
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 09:12 AM   #7
custom10nut

Of late, the asking prices are still generally ridiculous, but I seeing cracks in the bubble.
Some dreamers are still wanting stupid money for their rusted out junk, but others are starting to go back to asking a reasonable price. Then it comes down to old saying “Money talks, and Bullsh*t walks”. Have the money you’re willing to pay in hand, but be ready to walk away, because there are PLENTY of good trucks/parts out there. Happy Hunting
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 03:38 PM   #8
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970cstblazer View Post
I'm shocked at the prices for blatant and unequivocal JUNK. Too much MECUM and BJ for people to think their garbage is worth a fortune. The market needs a correction. Very few of these trucks are rare or desirable enough to command the prices that are being tossed out there.
Agree, these trucks were worth hundreds of dollars 20 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikid61 View Post
Rat Rod mindset & those LS swappers have made prices rise as well as the current skyrocketing cost of living. The Oregon Washington states have great deals for years. Cali has insane Crack Pipe high prices for beat down fishing truck/non running rigs. The word 'patina' the most abused w/ 'ran when parked' close 2nd when listing is like a broken record.
It's not just CA, and all of your postings in the FB thread are proof. Have you seen those posting you post? Some dude has a beat to crap C20 in NE and is asking 7k.
By no means is it just CA, I can't say this enough: 15-25 years ago 97% of these trucks were $500-$2k work trucks or beater high-school trucks.

It gives me a headache to even think someone would pay $4-5-8k for some rusty piece that has an auto tranny and haggered interior and a "custom" wiring harness strait from 1987.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 12:58 AM   #9
tj1970cst

Quote:
Why is it that Washington and Oregon have good prices on classics?
tj1970cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 12:14 PM   #10
loudchevy

I've been watching the prices on 67-72 (and squarebodies for that matter) keep rising the last few years. Dudes here in AZ want 8-10k for something that needs thousands just to get it running and they still have rust even if they say they don't in the add. It took me a while of patiently looking before I found something that was reasonable and within my restoration skills range. I paid 3600 for my 70 LWB and it hadn't been registered since 1996. Add said no cancer rust anywhere and that it had all the A/C equipment "intact". The rockers had rust, and the A/C equipment was all there but a mess and missing components. The engine and trans were there but looked like they hadn't been in working order for a very long time. The cab and body were in decent condition so I pulled the trigger.

I really wanted a SWB but those are getting much harder to find and way more $$$. I still may convert mine to SWB and might as well for all the other work I'm doing on the truck so I get what I really wanted all along.

You can see the condition of what I started with here in my build thread.
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=847605
2003 Tahoe Stock
1985 K5 5.3LS/4L60E|8Lug 4:56|3/4 Ton Front|14BFF Rear|Roll Cage|Dove-tailed & Bobbed
loudchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 03:51 AM   #11
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I find it doesn't matter when your selling or where you live but unmolested original trucks bring the best money and sell quickly. Now with that being said if you have added modern safety features, ie: disc front brakes on 69 to 70's , or an original tilt column for comfort, those things will not detract from the price or the sale of a truck. Me, I'm old school so I wouldn't buy an LS swapped truck even if that was the only thing done to it. Just my opinion.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 07:31 PM   #12
CKfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj1970cst View Post
Why is it that Washington and Oregon have good prices on classics?
(IMO) Depending on what part of the state, the weather is the main factor. Most people have nice classics that just sit in the garage most of the year because they don't want to drive them in the rain. My sister and brother-in-law are two prime examples of this and have multiple vehicles that never see the rain. After a while you just can't justify keeping the vehicle in a garage and sell it right before the severe weather hits. All their cars came from Cali.

Seems to be a lot of them on the market right now in WA. I know because I have bought one in each of those states within the last month.
CKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 07:35 PM   #13
CKfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
Of late, the asking prices are still generally ridiculous, but I seeing cracks in the bubble.
Some dreamers are still wanting stupid money for their rusted out junk, but others are starting to go back to asking a reasonable price. Then it comes down to old saying “Money talks, and Bullsh*t walks”. Have the money you’re willing to pay in hand, but be ready to walk away, because there are PLENTY of good trucks/parts out there. Happy Hunting
Right on point!
CKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 11:04 PM   #14
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKfan View Post
(IMO) Depending on what part of the state, the weather is the main factor. Most people have nice classics that just sit in the garage most of the year because they don't want to drive them in the rain. My sister and brother-in-law are two prime examples of this and have multiple vehicles that never see the rain. After a while you just can't justify keeping the vehicle in a garage and sell it right before the severe weather hits. All their cars came from Cali.

Seems to be a lot of them on the market right now in WA. I know because I have bought one in each of those states within the last month.
I've been told it rains a lot up there, but I've never been there.

With that being said how can you own a car up there and say you won't drive it in the rain!!
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 11:54 PM   #15
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

6 figure 2wd k5 doesn't make sense, but they've sold for more.
A squarebody k5 2wd sold for 75k recently.
Old 10-25-2023, 12:06 AM   #16
CAMAROBOY68SS

Quote:

this and Eastern Oregon and Eastern Washington weather stays decent most of the year, plus it seems alot of the farms out there were Chevy farms over Ford or Dodge. I always seem to see at least 1 or 2 trucks sitting on a property. Prices are still high here though. Patina and cut down long beds are still brining good money, I do think the market is slowing as I am seeing trucks stay on marketplace and craigslist longer than they have been. Prices are not really dropping but taking longer to move.

Cali cars/trucks have always been higher priced over Oregon/Washington stuff due to higher amounts of rust free trucks. My 68 was a original cali truck that came to Oregon 6 months before I bought it, had zero rust anywhere, even after being a farm truck based on all the dirt that was in the cab. My grandfather bought a 71 that was a life long Oregon truck 2 months later after I bought my truck and it needed corners, rockers and kick panels even being a somewhat pampered truck being used as just a run around rig.

C10 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=833278

The "Others"
1933 Ford Pickup (Camaro in disguise)
2017 Camaro SS

Life long Chevy guy
CAMAROBOY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 01:01 PM   #17
MidLifer

Having been in the hobby for 12 years now it seems prices are a fair bit higher than years past. Perhaps 20 years ago these _were_ $500 trucks but that would have been because of a big supply of them vs now and less cool factor. When I shopped for my first C10 in 2011, it was hard to find something running, unmolested/original and fairly rust free for less than $4000.

The TV auctions have played a role and I think there is a lot more "dumb money" out there chasing running, complete classics. Also the time capsule trucks are rarer than ever and will command high prices.

I wonder how many of the project trucks actually sell for these inflated prices vs sellers who think they have more than they do or are just fishing for a price? The buyers with all the cash don't want to spend 100s of hours fixing something up, they want to buy turnkey. Those of us who have the skills, experience and desire to restore old vehicles usually know what we are getting into and how much it will cost us to get where we want to be, and I for one wouldn't go paying $7000 for a rust bucket 2WD longbed in 3 different colors with a seized engine and Flintstone floorboards.
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 02:25 PM   #18
tutone

In today's crappy economy, people are just scraping by to eat and pay rent. If you have a decent truck to sell, its worth whatever it will bring. A new "any make" truck will cost you 40-75% more than it would have on a lot as recent a six years ago. I feel the higher end originals and a quality restored c10 are holding their own. The rest is a crapshoot. TV auctions, IMHO, don't seem to affect a serious buyer, just an un-informed seller.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 06:38 PM   #19
Wikid61
Post Whore

Quote:
It's not just CA, and all of your postings in the FB thread are proof. Have you seen those posting you post? Some dude has a beat to crap C20 in NE and is asking 7k.
By no means is it just CA, I can't say this enough: 15-25 years ago 97% of these trucks were $500-$2k work trucks or beater high-school trucks.

It gives me a headache to even think someone would pay $4-5-8k for some rusty piece that has an auto tranny and haggered interior and a "custom" wiring harness strait from 1987. 'Yes I do. And the most outrageous prices tend to be CA. Not just trucks, but rent/food/ect.
Wikid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 06:49 PM   #20
best view

Amen
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 06:55 PM   #21
weq92f

Quote:
(IMO) ...<snip>...Most people have nice classics that just sit in the garage most of the year because they don't want to drive them in the rain. ...<snip>...
Guilty. I'll drive my classic any time of year but make every effort to avoid wet weather. Been caught out in it a couple times though and just shrug and drive on.

One thing I discovered this season, while caught out in the rain, is a PO installed wiper delay circuit somewhere! Was a real surprise.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote