The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2023, 03:30 PM   #1
jumpsoffrock

Funny stuff on hagerty.

MODS: you can move this to OT or general discussion if you want, my mistake.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-pr...-buyers-guide/

Ya know I think Hagerty has upped their game over the years, from just another specialty insurance company, to expanding to really great quality media on youtube. I'll give it to 'em.

But I came across this article the other day and everything was going alright 'till about 2/3's the way down when I tripped and fell down a flight of stairs over this little tidbit.

Quote:
Even though the 1967–72 Chevrolet C/K isn’t known for being particularly susceptible to the tin worm, there are a few problem areas that should be inspected prior to purchase.

Lol........have they ever seen a used unrestored 67-72 for sale, anywhere, ever?

Lack of rust in ANY unrestored 67-72 truck is an absolute exception, NOT the rule.
I think they kinda missed the bus on that one, and honestly, in the world of vintage car shopping, getting "estimates of the occurrences of rust in a demographic" wrong is a pretty big mistake.
Thought some of us "rust rustlers" around here would get a kick out of this.

MODS: you can move this to OT or general discussion if you want, my mistake.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 03:40 PM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: Funny stuff on hagerty.

This is Hilarious

It is almost like they wrote the story and then let AI edited it.

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 04:01 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

AI, what a joke, though it does have its uses. But not on my computer. My latest system update installed an AI called "Copilot". Kind of like that nosy Cortana. I looked for a way to turn it off, but no luck.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 04:08 PM   #4
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
AI, what a joke, though it does have its uses. But not on my computer. My latest system update installed an AI called "Copilot". Kind of like that nosy Cortana. I looked for a way to turn it off, but no luck.
Yeah it jumps in when I search stuff with Bing.

Most of the time it comes up with Stupid stuff like in this Hagerty article.

Now I go to Duck Duck go.

Old 11-18-2023, 05:21 PM   #5
Wrenchbender Ret

Back when the square body trucks came out in 73 they were horrible rust buckets. Within 2 years they were rusting through on the rocker panels, the bed side wheel openings & the front fenders. Every one stayed with the 67-72 as they held up a lot longer. Sure most of the ones out there now are rusted after 50 years but back then the 67-72 trucks were popular because they had fewer rust problems then most everything else.

George

Last edited by Wrenchbender Ret; 11-18-2023 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 05:34 PM   #6
samkost

Rust? Nah, that’s just patina!

1972 C10 LWB
2020 Z71 Tahoe
samkost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 08:15 AM   #7
1970cstblazer
All stock and staying that way

Exclamation Re: Funny stuff on hagerty.

My '70 Blazer had exterior holes in it when it was a couple of years old. By 1978, the bedsides and rocker panels were non existent. While I most certainly love the look, and love to drive it, they were rust buckets, and many, many died due to the tin worm. Fortunately the aftermarket has stepped up so this is not a huge deal anymore. Thankfully, these used an open C channel frame, so a good amount of them do not have serious structural problems, and can have sheet metal replaced.

This was not just GM, but ALL automakers in the period. The paint was poor, sealing techniques fair, and the steel quality was questionable.
1970 K/5 Blazer CST 4WD, Bronze, 93k ACT. miles, 350, 4 speed, positraction, 16.5" x 8.25" wheel option, tilt, tach, vacuum, AM/FM, manual throttle...Dad ordered and purchased new 4/70. Currently frame off restoration in progress...

1972 Cheyenne Super 20 2WD, DK Blue/White, 90K ACT. miles, 402, TH400, 4.10 open, tilt, tach, vacuum, A/C, AM/FM, manual throttle.. A mostly original paint never rusted Texas survivor...

2017 Sierra 1500 SLT 4WD, Black, 41k miles, 5.3, 6L80E, 3.42 LS, 20" polished wheels, everything but moonroof and 6.2...

2019 Canyon SLT 4WD, White, 60k miles, 3.6, 8L45, 3.23 LS, 18" wheels
1970cstblazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 08:18 AM   #8
1970cstblazer
All stock and staying that way

Unhappy Re: Funny stuff on hagerty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
Back when the square body trucks came out in 73 they were horrible rust buckets. Within 2 years they were rusting through on the rocker panels, the bed side wheel openings & the front fenders. Every one stayed with the 67-72 as they held up a lot longer. Sure most of the ones out there now are rusted after 50 years but back then the 67-72 trucks were popular because they had fewer rust problems then most everything else.

George

Isn't that the truth! In 1984, a neighbor to my great aunt had a 1973 Cheyenne Super. It was missing all of the bedsides up to the pronounced upper body line, a third of the doors gone, the hood had no leading edge. As bad as the '67-'72's rusted, the '73's took it up a few notches!
1970 K/5 Blazer CST 4WD, Bronze, 93k ACT. miles, 350, 4 speed, positraction, 16.5" x 8.25" wheel option, tilt, tach, vacuum, AM/FM, manual throttle...Dad ordered and purchased new 4/70. Currently frame off restoration in progress...

1972 Cheyenne Super 20 2WD, DK Blue/White, 90K ACT. miles, 402, TH400, 4.10 open, tilt, tach, vacuum, A/C, AM/FM, manual throttle.. A mostly original paint never rusted Texas survivor...

2017 Sierra 1500 SLT 4WD, Black, 41k miles, 5.3, 6L80E, 3.42 LS, 20" polished wheels, everything but moonroof and 6.2...

2019 Canyon SLT 4WD, White, 60k miles, 3.6, 8L45, 3.23 LS, 18" wheels
1970cstblazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 12:03 PM   #9
HeloCrewChief

I restored and use to own the orange 1970 K20 in the article. I was working in Fairbanks, Alaska and spent the long long long winters restoring it. When they moved me down to Washington, I loaded it on a ship and picked it up at the Port of Tacoma. Sold it on EBay to a dealer in the Midwest.
1968 Chevelle
1964 Comet Caliente
1990 W250 Cummins
HeloCrewChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 12:40 PM   #10
Accelo

From the article;

"It’s also helpful to understand what, exactly, we mean when we talk about long and short box trucks. The C/K was offered with 6.5-foot and 8-foot cargo beds (as well as a chassis cab version), and while the former rode on a 115-inch wheelbase, the latter was stretched to 127 inches. There were also two different box “styles” available: fleetside, which is the long and smooth look, and stepside, which features bulging external wheel wells. Buyers could choose between wood and steel bed bottoms (both painted body color)."
They completely glossed over the Longhorn.
Likely written by a writer not an enthusiast?

The article did mention the LS conversion popularity.
A friend of mine just went to the Chevy Truck show in AZ. Almost 9000 trucks.
He thought over 80% were converted to some type of LS.
I knew the conversion was popular but didn't know how prevalent the conversion was.
Cheers
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 03:08 PM   #11
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
From the article;

"It’s also helpful to understand what, exactly, we mean when we talk about long and short box trucks. The C/K was offered with 6.5-foot and 8-foot cargo beds (as well as a chassis cab version), and while the former rode on a 115-inch wheelbase, the latter was stretched to 127 inches. There were also two different box “styles” available: fleetside, which is the long and smooth look, and stepside, which features bulging external wheel wells. Buyers could choose between wood and steel bed bottoms (both painted body color)."
They completely glossed over the Longhorn.
Likely written by a writer not an enthusiast?

The article did mention the LS conversion popularity.
A friend of mine just went to the Chevy Truck show in AZ. Almost 9000 trucks.
He thought over 80% were converted to some type of LS.
I knew the conversion was popular but didn't know how prevalent the conversion was.
Cheers
I was gassing up my '68 C/10 Stepside [a few years ago] at a bulk/supermarket fuel stop in Tucson, when some dude saw my truck, and thought he'd finally found his BarnFind, and a dumb old yokel like myself would just sell it off for peanuts.
''I have an LS Engine ready to drop in it!'' he said. [As if: Lawdy Lawdy, At last something to replace the hand-built Original 292! I is so tired of naturally-aspirated classic blocks...]
Anyway, I fixed him in the corner of my eye and stated:
''I'm not gay.''
That got rid of him.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 03:17 PM   #12
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
''I have an LS Engine ready to drop in it!'' he said. [As if: Lawdy Lawdy, At last something to replace the hand-built Original 292! I is so tired of naturally-aspirated classic blocks...]
''I'm not gay.''
That got rid of him.

Old 11-19-2023, 03:21 PM   #13
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
This is Hilarious

It is almost like they wrote the story and then let AI edited it.

Yeah well the next time I have a rust cab maybe AI can come to my house and edit it out of my truck. I'll keep the Argon cylinder full...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post

George
I never knew squares were more infamous, I have never been a squarebody fan because only three years of them don't have to be smogged in Ca, the rest are all smoggers, so I don't even look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970cstblazer View Post
My '70 Blazer had exterior holes in it when it was a couple of years old. By 1978, the bedsides and rocker panels were non existent. While I most certainly love the look, and love to drive it, they were rust buckets, and many, many died due to the tin worm. Fortunately the aftermarket has stepped up so this is not a huge deal anymore. Thankfully, these used an open C channel frame, so a good amount of them do not have serious structural problems, and can have sheet metal replaced.

This was not just GM, but ALL automakers in the period. The paint was poor, sealing techniques fair, and the steel quality was questionable.
Have you ever seen a GMT? I know I'm here in CA, but I regularly see 1988-1999 GM trucks torn down to the sheetmetal in the junyards WITHOUT A SPECK OF RUST. GM did something right with that chassis engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970cstblazer View Post
Isn't that the truth! In 1984, a neighbor to my great aunt had a 1973 Cheyenne Super. It was missing all of the bedsides up to the pronounced upper body line, a third of the doors gone, the hood had no leading edge. As bad as the '67-'72's rusted, the '73's took it up a few notches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeloCrewChief View Post
I restored and use to own the orange 1970 K20 in the article. I was working in Fairbanks, Alaska and spent the long long long winters restoring it. When they moved me down to Washington, I loaded it on a ship and picked it up at the Port of Tacoma. Sold it on EBay to a dealer in the Midwest.
Beautiful, you do wonderful work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
I was gassing up my '68 C/10 Stepside [a few years ago] at a bulk/supermarket fuel stop in Tucson, when some dude saw my truck, and thought he'd finally found his BarnFind, and a dumb old yokel like myself would just sell it off for peanuts.
''I'm not gay.''
That got rid of him.

Last edited by jumpsoffrock; 11-19-2023 at 03:26 PM.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote