The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2004, 08:31 PM   #1
Nova_Cobra64

Front coil R&R how to??

I just picked up a 3/3 drop springs (with a 1" rear block to go 4" if desired). I am going to paint them this weekend and hopefully install them next week. The rear looks like it should be rather simple. The front end is questionable. I think I have read on here that the easiest way to do it is unbolt the upper A arm and swap the coils. If anybody has the time, I would like a step by step so I don't screw anything up.
2013 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1650 - The reason no work gets done on the project truck.
Nova_Cobra64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 11:08 AM   #2
69ride
All Go, No Show

jack up the front of your truck resting the frame on jack satnds so your tires are off of the ground. Take off your bottom bolt for the shocks. put the jack under the coil and jack up a little to relieve pressure. start undoing the small u-bolts at each end of the control arm and watch the arm drop down. make sure that you can wiggle the ubolts by hand this tells you that there is no downward pressure on the ubolts and they can then be removed. lower the jack which will then decompress the spring and take the spring out. putting them in without a spring compressor can be difficult to get the alignment of the control arm right, but it can be done. I just did this yesterday and dropped my truck 2 inches in the front and 3 inches in the rear. and it looks sweet good luck. hope this helps
Old 08-21-2004, 08:14 PM   #3
smbrouss70

I've always done it almost the same way... instead of removing the U-bolts for the control arm, just remove the lower spindle nut. This way when you put it back together you don't have to try and align the control arm shaft.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 08:34 AM   #4
hutch949

69Ride, do you have any pictures. That is what I want a 2/3. Any problems? do you need any thing other than springs and shocks. Thanks Hutch949
hutch949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 01:33 PM   #5
69ride
All Go, No Show

hutch no pics yet. I need to get them developed first, i'll post pics as soon as i can. There were no problems at all with the drop, that is part of the reason that makes these trucks so cool . I'm going to use the same shocks, they might bottom out a little but i'll just have to be careful. you'll be happy with the drop it looks awesome. i can't wait to get some smaller tires than my 235/75/15 that are on it now.