The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2024, 07:41 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Toaster ovens.

I want to coat some pistons with a ceramic coating, and it needs to be cured at 300*. So toaster ovens hit that easily, although I could only do 2 at a time. Since toaster ovens are cheap, small, and disposable. I think it could be a winner for me.

Or is a typical electric oven a better option? Since I can do the heads too?

In case your wondering.

I am going to polish my Mopar 413 Industial motor with in a inch of its life. I will dimple the pistons, and combustion chambers like the speed of air then flip the pistons. For better rod angularity. Alongside lightening/polishing the crank, and rods. Like I saw in a David Vizard video about Uncle Tony's mission impossible 318. In a few months as I play with desk top dyno. I will order a custom roller cam. Since I want it to be less wild then the cams they have on the shelf.

The idea is to get it ready for a mild turbo kit in a few years. More or less I am patterning it after the 7.3 Godzilla which my friend has, and I impressed with how well it does. Unfortunately I need my kidneys, and my job doesn't pay well enough otherwise. Damn it.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 09:04 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Toaster ovens.

Well, you really only need one kidney... I've heard about people going to Tijuana and donating them.

I thought about buying a small toaster oven for annealing some carving tools I wanted to make. Then I found a source for the shapes I wanted, and considering the time and effort it would take me, I just bought 'em. You might be able to find a used electric oven and do what you need, and then sell it. They are usually 220V. Do you have an outlet available?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 10:55 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

I have a 220 outlet in the garage for my welder
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 04:37 AM   #4
LT7A

The toaster oven would probably work, but in my experience, the heat is pretty uneven. Have to spin food around at the halfway mark to get it evenly cooked. Probably not hard to find a free or near free oven from buy nothing or Craigslist or curbside. Then, you could do your own powder coating too...
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote